UNITED San Fran Mechanics!!

Alex843

Mar 2, 2020
I am currently thinking about applying for a direct hire position to United in San Francisco. I'm fresh out of school with an A&P.
What are the living conditions out there for a mechanic?

What is a work week like? Shifts. Hours.

I've been informed that people have crash houses and fly home on days off. How difficult is this to do? I live on the east coast.

Is the direct hire worth it for a 26 year old with no baggage?

Any help/info is greatly appreciated.

You will be on probation. Not a good idea to try and commute during that time. Good way to get experience. You will be poor. **** hours/shifts for years. Bid out ASAP.

You will be on probation. Not a good idea to try and commute during that time. Good way to get experience. You will be poor. **** hours/shifts for years. Bid out ASAP.
I don't know about United, but at AA you don't have non-rev flight privileges until you finish probation. Other airlines have flight privileges, but companies look at where you are commuting to/from. For instance, American's DFW-SEA flights are pretty much full in both directions with revenue passengers every flight, every day. So, if you were commuting on that route you would also be competing with other employees also commuting on a first come, first serve basis--possibly United does everything by company seniority. In that case, Commuting while on probation is not a good idea.

I'm not trying to discourage you from taking the job. I hope I am making clear to you that there's a lot more than hours and pay rate to consider.

Last edited:
An A&P doesn’t make you an aircraft mechanic. From what I remember the schools don’t teach anything about large jet aircraft. Your hands on training would be on graveyard shift for three weeks. My advice is listen to the instructor and do as instructed. To many people some fresh out of A&P school and some from regional carriers thought they knew it all. Trust me nobody knows it all. UA has some very sharp instructors at SFO. United has always been unfriendly to mechanics. They say different to the press and in newsletters. If you go to UA and make it through long enough not to be furloughed maybe you can have a good career. Another suggestion is to have zippers on your pockets. UA is always trying to get in there and take back what was given. With any airline it’s a roller coaster. Most of the contracts are settled during down times. Last wasn’t but the IBT gave away the store. I just got off the roller coaster and have never felt better. I know I said a lot. The best advice is to stay away from aviation or at least a major airline.

Earlier tonight, United announced a hiring freeze for most positions due to the impact Coronavirus is having on future air bookings. Put in an application, but you might not hear on it for a while if that freeze extends into Tech Ops.

I also see postings for IAD (Virginia) -- if you're on the east coast already, this might be a safer commuting opportunity.

https://careers.united.com/ListJobs...-Maintenance---Line---Individual-Contributor/

Jim, UA offers flight privileges from day one for employees.

Flight benefits are active from day one. Sign up for commuter protection immediately (declare a home airport and if you cant make your flights, you are protected... might only be available after probation though-dont remember).

I stayed in a crash pad for two years and commuted before I moved my family to my station (not SFO). You will have to stay in SFO for one year before you can bid out. You will only be able to get to SEA, IAD, EWR any time soon (maybe DEN). You will be on the worst shifts for a long time, but you can trade shifts without management approval so a lot of guys work 3on/4off or 8on/6off and other crazy stuff (good for commuting).

Its a good career, and there are going to be a ton of guys retiring in the next five years. Once you get a good knowledge base and develop your skills, the hardest part about the job is not getting caught up in the mental bull and politics. Just have a good attitude, work harder than most, and try and be helpful and you will pass probation. Im not topped out, but Ive still made 120-130k/yr every year since we signed our labor contract three years ago (I work a lot of overtime though). I work with guys that are making 180k/yr.

They did just announce a hiring freeze due to coronavirus, but I suspect that will be lifted in a few months. If I were you, I would apply to all the majors & freight and take whatever you can get. Senority is king in this industry, and your date of hire will be more important than your social security number. If your ultimate goal is the majors, get in as soon as you can and figure out the rest later. My two cents & good luck!