UPDATE: Senate Approves Plan To Add Flights At Reagan National

av8tor76

Jul 31, 2009
WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--The U.S. Senate approved a measure Thursday, backed by major airlines, to loosen longstanding restrictions on nonstop flights between the West Coast and northern Virginia's Reagan National Airport.

The measure, approved by a voice vote, would allow such major airlines as US Airways Group Inc. (LCC), Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) and AMR Corp.'s (AMR) American Airlines to vie for new, potentially lucrative flights between Reagan National and such cities as San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego. The measure would add up to 16 round-trip, long-distance flights at Reagan National, to be apportioned at a later date. Twelve of the flights would be added immediately, and four would be added later if the Transportation Department determined the flights wouldn't negatively impact the airport.

The measure was attached to a bill to authorize the Federal Aviation Administration, which was expected to face a Senate vote later Thursday. The measure would still need approval of the House.

Resolving the Reagan National debate was viewed as a key obstacle to approval of the broader FAA bill.

The amendment followed weeks of negotiations and an intense lobbying battle between US Airways and rival United Continental Holdings Inc.'s (UAL) United Airlines. United feared that new flights at Reagan would cut into United's business at Dulles International Airport, also in northern Virginia but 26 miles to the west.

United ultimately signed onto a deal drafted by Sens. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R., Texas) and Jay Rockefeller (D., W.Va.) to increase the number of flights that are allowed to destinations beyond a 1,250-mile perimeter around Reagan National.

The perimeter, established by Congress in the 1980s, was designed largely to ensure Dulles would become the main destination for long-distance flights arriving near the nation's capital. Both airports are operated by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority under a long-term lease from the federal government.

Under the measure approved Thursday, major airlines with a strong presence at Reagan Airport would get preference for seven of the new flights. Smaller airlines would get preference for five of the new flights.

Arizona-based US Airways, the No. 5 U.S. carrier by traffic and the dominant carrier at Reagan National, has led the charge for loosening the restrictions, a move that would permit lucrative new flights to the West Coast. No. 1 United, based in Chicago, has resisted loosening the restrictions because it wants to protect business at its hub at Dulles.

Hutchison and Rockefeller overcame the resistance of lawmakers from states that could be directly affected by the change. They include Sen. Maria Cantwell (D., Wash.), whose state is home to Alaska Air Group Inc.'s (ALK) Alaska Airlines, and Sen. Mark Warner (D., Va.). Cantwell sought to ensure that smaller airlines such as Alaska Airlines have a fair shake at gaining any new offerings at Reagan National, and Warner had voiced concerns about the impact on jobs and the economy at Dulles were the Reagan National restrictions loosened.

-By Josh Mitchell, Dow Jones Newswires; 202-862-6637; [email protected]

Sounds like the big carriers get some slots and the smaller carriers get others. So AS, Virgin America and jetBlue would likely fall into the "smaller carrier" category, with UA/AA/DL/US competing for the "large carrier" slots. I really wish they'd just drop the restriction altogether and let airlines use their existing slots in the manner that best suits the market. I guarantee US and/or DL would start using at least some slots currently used on the shuttles to instead operate longer haul flights.

I'd love to see US add some long haul from DCA ... it would likley be LAX and/or SFO.

coupled with the DL/US LGA/DCA slot swap, this could dramatically enhance US' position at WAS.

US will get at least a couple of these slots... even if the 7 slots are divided between what are in reality the now 4 network carriers, no one is going to walk away w/ the process - but no one will be left out either.

coupled with the DL/US LGA/DCA slot swap, this could dramatically enhance US' position at WAS.

US will get at least a couple of these slots... even if the 7 slots are divided between what are in reality the now 4 network carriers, no one is going to walk away w/ the process - but no one will be left out either.

I don't know. The current administration is notorious for doling out favors to their political cronnies (Google, G.E., etc.) I would not be suprised if LCC is left out in the cold as UAL is Chicago based.

I don't know. The current administration is notorious for doling out favors to their political cronnies (Google, G.E., etc.) I would not be suprised if LCC is left out in the cold as UAL is Chicago based.

Off-topic, but I have to ask...which administration in the past 150 years has NOT been notorious for doling out favors to their political cronies? It's called politics. :lol:

That's assuming WN wants long haul flights from DCA. WN seems to very selectively choose which transcons to operate.

WN is buying 15 slot pairs worth of access to DCA as part of their FL acquisition - service to ATL, MKE, MCO, and RSW... and I might be forgetting something. WN would be excluded as a new entrant in this route case.

WN is buying 15 slot pairs worth of access to DCA as part of their FL acquisition - service to ATL, MKE, MCO, and RSW... and I might be forgetting something. WN would be excluded as a new entrant in this route case.
Like USAir and Piedmont
http://ftp.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/838/838.F2d.1343.87-1639.html
This matter is before the Court on petition of America West Airlines, Inc. (America West) for review of Department of Transportation orders approving the merger of USAir Group, Inc. (USAir) and Piedmont Aviation, Inc. (Piedmont). America West contends that the merger will result in impermissible entry barriers, increased market power and a substantial reduction of competition in the relevant markets. Since it appeared to the Court that a threshold question--the standing of America West to bring the petition--could be dispositive, the Court requested supplemental briefs on that issue.1 Upon review, the Court finds, for the reasons stated below, that America West lacks standing and therefore dismisses the petition.

WN would be excluded as a new entrant in this route case.

That depends on the final bill. So far only the Senate version has passed. The House version hasn't been voted on yet, but if it passes the two bills have to go to Conference to work out the differences and then another vote in each Chamber.

Jim

correct... and only the Senate version includes provisions for allowing incumbent DCA carriers to convert slots for outside-perimeter use.

But the whole issue also steps into the same realm as the DCA/LGA slot swap issue - which is that the FAA has been trying to use slots as a mechanism for economic regulation. While LGA and DCA are governed under different entities, the point remains the same that if it is safe to use a slot for longhaul use by airline X (non-incumbent/minmal presence airline), then what is the basis that the gov't has to pick and choose which slots can be used based on the carrier involved for longhaul use?

The gov't doesn't want to walk away from its ability to stick its nose in airline affairs but I suspect they are desirous of approving a deal between DL and US for LGA/DCA because they are afraid - quite afraid - that courts will find that there is no basis for making economic decisions about WHO should use slots. If a slot is available for commercial aviation use, it isn't the gov'ts business to pick and choose WHO or HOW that slot is to be used, so long as there is no safety issue involved or that the US' treaties (ie w/ Canada) are satisfied.

I suspect resolution of the LGA/DCA slot issue will provide clarity on US' ability to swap slots at DCA -which may be the biggest benefit US gets out of the whole deal.

Given that US is being treated like a 2nd tier member of Star behind UA/CO, US needs to do what it has to do to protect its own interests... and there is no doubt that lawmakers will salivate at the prospect of more longhaul flying from DCA. (at least at 5 pm on Fridays).

Back