US-AA Merger Articles (Merged Topics)

New American Airlines pilot union boss backs a merger

Aug 10 (Reuters) - The new president of the American Airlines pilots' labor union, Keith Wilson, on Friday said he backs merging with a rival as the possible best path for the bankrupt air carrier. Wilson, appointed by the Allied Pilots Association's board Thursday, in a letter to pilots Friday said "our union's strategic focus remains unchanged. APA is committed to pursuing consolidation as the best path for ensuring a brighter future for American Airlines and the pilots we represent." David Bates resigned as APA president Wednesday after union members soundly rejected a tentative contract from the carrier. Wilson is a New York-based captain who ran against Bates for the top union post in 2010, but lost. Bates had urged APA pilots to vote in favor of AMR's final offer, but about 60 percent of union members rejected the offer. American's pilots have had no major pay gains for years after working under concessionary contracts and are now seeing their counterparts at rival U.S. carriers Delta Air Lines Inc and United Continental Holdings Inc obtain or move toward better contracts.​
http://www.reuters.c...feedName=bondsN ews&rpc=43

Seems to me that the AA employees are blinded by this merger. They can't see anything other than getting rid of Mr. Horton, much the same as the UA pilots did when they wanted to get rid of Mr. Tilton. All one has to do is read the forums on USAir for the last 6 or 7 years and there has been nothing but turmoil with the pilots. I guess a 60 year old pilot can just look at his pay and realize that is it from now until retirement. Mr. Parker did a great snow job on the AA labor. He can't come to terms with his own people, yet he gets AA labor to agree to the carrot. I'm getting ring side seats for this fight.

Reactions: 2 people
Oh! Poor babies!

Think we should take up a collection for them?

Short answer...no

We should sort through our problems before adding more to the plate. We are along for the ride. Kinda like the businesses in Tempe trying to influence Doug to stay in Tempe, we are along for the ride and Doug will do what's best for him.

It's going to get interesting very soon and with Parker and USAPA behind the wheel if this is going to turn out to be a merger or collision with American.

Seems to me that the AA employees are blinded by this merger. They can't see anything other than getting rid of Mr. Horton, much the same as the UA pilots did when they wanted to get rid of Mr. Tilton. All one has to do is read the forums on USAir for the last 6 or 7 years and there has been nothing but turmoil with the pilots. I guess a 60 year old pilot can just look at his pay and realize that is it from now until retirement. Mr. Parker did a great snow job on the AA labor. He can't come to terms with his own people, yet he gets AA labor to agree to the carrot. I'm getting ring side seats for this fight.

Nope. This isn't me!

Carry on...

Just a side note: ANY management is NEVER in labor's favor. They are watching the company's bottom line, and if they can run a profitable business with monkeys and pay them bananas, well, they'll promise ANYBODY the world.

This is a fact in all businesses.

Reactions: 1 person
post_offline.png
signals/firedougparker :

Borescope, on 11 August 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

Nope. This isn't me!

Carry on...

Just a side note: ANY management is NEVER in labor's favor. They are watching the company's bottom line, and if they can run a profitable business with monkeys and pay them bananas, well, they'll promise ANYBODY the world.

This is a fact in all businesses.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What? Now you are saying you may have another alias or maybe not. I think you need to pick a personality and stick with it. Having all these aliases is not doing your credibility any good. Hiding behind all of the other names is making you look like the cowardly lion.

What I was saying, unlike all the aliases you have since you point the finger and twist things, is that I have been saying that all along. WT proved that you are allowed to have two aliases, Move2CLT. Just for the record, an alias for me will have something to do with Rush. But the megalomaniac in me, doesn't want anybody to claim credit for what I do! :p

There's no mention of a partner in the article.. Just the term consolidation.. LCC was Bate's baby. He's gone now...

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2012/08/why-youre-not-hearing-much-lately-from-apa-about-us-airways.html/

usa1

"It's probably even a matter of weeks," the Financial Times cited AMR CEO Tom Horton as saying on the question of when a decision on a merger would come. "We're in the middle of that right now."
http://finance.yahoo...-000905131.html
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And once again it seems Signals/firdoulgparker and AAviator are talking out of their arses. No one will know how this goes down until it happens. I can understand AAviator 's beef.

Signals/firedougparker it appears you are a disgruntled employee and I for one would choose never to have you anywhere near the aircraft I am working. I am close to finding out who you are and when I do I can assure you that management at US will know of my concerns. If it is actually so that you are a Phx/Clt or Phl based employee I will be very concerned for the safety of the A/C as well as our customers and other employees if you are even remotely close to the A/C regardless of what your position is.

As time goes on, more are beginning to have some doubts. APA leadership, namely Bates, got backed into a corner by signing off with DP so quickly. With the rejection being so solid, there was no way he could remain and hold everyone togther. I think everyone knows that there were plenty of FU's being dished out with this vote.