US Airways Express Pilot Arrested with Loaded Firearm in the Sterile Area

He had a .357 revolver, those are not FFDO weapons as far as I am aware.
I doubt he intentionally tried to take it through, but I'm sure he will have to suffer the consequences of his error. $$$. Hosea Williams once did the same thing. Where is Archie Bunker when we need him!

Probably a simple case of him forgetting that he had it packed in his bag. Never never use the same bag you fly with to also take car trips with where you are carrying.

With the amount of crew members that hold concealed permits for their states I can see how it might happen. If that is the case it sucks that he has finished off his career due to a massive brain fart.

Of course never underestimate the fact that he may be dealing with a messy home life and the spouse decided to "pack" his bag for him!

The fact that it appears that he didn't try to avoid security and went trhough as normal kinda leads you to think that he didnt know it was there.

Maybe we will find out more in the coming days.

The only issue with him not knowing it was there, is that this was the third day of the trip. Meaning, he had to have opened his bag in the hotel the two previous nights.

The only issue with him not knowing it was there, is that this was the third day of the trip. Meaning, he had to have opened his bag in the hotel the two previous nights.

Don't know about you, but I have sections of my bag that can go a couple weeks without opening. The place I stash swim trunks, jog shorts, etc etc. The rollaboard I have is littered with pockets and pouches big enough to stash a pistol.

If he had intended to do something unsavory with it I would think he would have done it before the 3rd day. If he knew it was there and didn't intend to do bad things, say he discovered it on one of those overnights, why on earth would he continue to carry it? UPS that puppy to your house.

Lots of questions, sadly unless it is discovered that he was involved in some terrorist plot or crazy murder scheme we will probably never hear anything else about it on the news. If it is a simple "OH SH%T" moment that wont be news worthy.

I think perhaps a little common sense might be in order. However given it's the Federal Government I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.

What needs to be focused on IMO is intent. Unless the pilot has lived in a cave or is in fact a terrorist, he/she was fully aware of the rules/laws governing sterile areas of airports. The FBI and other organizations are well equipped to perform the appropriate investigation required to determine if the pilot was a threat.

This is the part where common sense should kick in. FBI investigates and finds nothing to suggest terrorist activity. Pilot gets spanked, meaning a fine and suspension by the company and is told essentially "Go forth and sin no more" To do more seems over the top to me.

Reactions: 1 person
One of which is to use the normal security screening line, let the TSA discover a gun in your bag and get arrested? I was born at night but not last night...

The guy screwed up, whether or not he was properly credentialed to have the gun. Being arrested makes me think that he wasn't.

Jim

The dude was trying to tell you politely that you dont know what your talking about, but you just keep pushing it, kind of like that sherrif in rambo.

16000 posts, but in this case you dont know what your talking about, just let it go. You dont have the information or the experience with these matters to make an informed opinion about this particular situation of what occured. I know how this happened, now the reasons of why he had the gun?, well a lot of people have guns, some for what ever reason or recreational, some for sinister.

The dude was trying to tell you...

One of your carrier's pilots I presume....

The "dude" was wrong - I don't believe that a TSA security checkpoint anywhere in the U.S. has a procedure to go through the normal security line, have TSA find an undeclared firearm, and arrest the person whose bag the firearm was in, just so a properly credentialed person that is allowed to carry a firearm on the plane can take the gun through security. If nothing else, that "arrest" part seems like it would make it hard to carry a firearm through the checkpoint. But what the hey - try explaining how getting arrested and the firearm (one NOT issued to FFDO's) confiscated allows a properly credentialed person to take a firearm into the sterile area and maybe it'll make sense....LOL

Jim

One of your carrier's pilots I presume....

The "dude" was wrong - I don't believe that a TSA security checkpoint anywhere in the U.S. has a procedure to go through the normal security line, have TSA find an undeclared firearm, and arrest the person whose bag the firearm was in, just so a properly credentialed person that is allowed to carry a firearm on the plane can take the gun through security. If nothing else, that "arrest" part seems like it would make it hard to carry a firearm through the checkpoint. But what the hey - try explaining how getting arrested and the firearm (one NOT issued to FFDO's) confiscated allows a properly credentialed person to take a firearm into the sterile area and maybe it'll make sense....LOL

Jim

typical usapa response, wrong on all counts, plus you are trying to dissect and going off on some crazy tangent that has nothing to do with what the "dude" said. Your going off on some crazy tangent instead of looking at the totality of how this occured. The dude and I know how it occured, once again the dude was trying to help you.

I have learned it is not possible to be reasonable with usapa, because usapa claims they are always right even though they are always wrong.

I will not argue this issue, "the dude" told you, and I told you, usapa guy you believe what you want, that is what you guys do anyway. I will not comment on this topic again.

BoeingBoy

typical usapa response, wrong on all counts, plus you are trying to dissect and going off on some crazy tangent that has nothing to do with what the "dude" said. Your going off on some crazy tangent instead of looking at the totality of how this occured. The dude and I know how it occured, once again the dude was trying to help you.

I have learned it is not possible to be reasonable with usapa, because usapa claims they are always right even though they are always wrong.

I will not argue this issue, "the dude" told you, and I told you, usapa guy you believe what you want, that is what you guys do anyway. I will not comment on this topic again.

Ummm....your "well thought out" reply was to the most adamantly ANTI-East/ANTI-usapa person that could likely be found, and never a member of that union, as the person's been long retired. A rather amusing reaction. Ring the bell and the poor creature instantly salivates...sheesh!

I'd suggest keeping this to the issue at hand = The unfortunate fellow who's in this sad mess and any surrounding circumstances.

Latest posts