US Airways Group, Inc. Reports November Traffic

LCC seems to be holding its own...however, the U part of the system is still showing decreases in passenger boardings year/year. Most other carriers are showing increases in numbers of passengers.

Would like to see that number start to go the other way.

Boomer

LCC seems to be holding its own...however, the U part of the system is still showing decreases in passenger boardings year/year. Most other carriers are showing increases in numbers of passengers.

Boomer

When you take a 126 seat aircraft with a 75% load factor(94 passeners) and replace it with a 50 seat or a 70 seat aircraft, what do you get? Loss of revenue!!!!!!!! We have gone from 278 aircraft to 220 on the mainline at U East. A fifth grader can do the math. Since the first merger, 1988, we have gone from 460 mainline aircraft to 220 aircraft. We have trashed revenue faster than we can cut costs. Step back and look at the big picture. If U is going to be successful have to accept the fact that we are in the "service business" and in order to make money we are going to have to fly airplanes and treat employees and customers like human beings. (Bags and passenger arrive at the same time and same station)

When you take a 126 seat aircraft with a 75% load factor(94 passeners) and replace it with a 50 seat or a 70 seat aircraft, what do you get? Loss of revenue!!!!!!!! We have gone from 278 aircraft to 220 on the mainline at U East. A fifth grader can do the math. Since the first merger, 1988, we have gone from 460 mainline aircraft to 220 aircraft. We have trashed revenue faster than we can cut costs. Step back and look at the big picture. If U is going to be successful have to accept the fact that we are in the "service business" and in order to make money we are going to have to fly airplanes and treat employees and customers like human beings. (Bags and passenger arrive at the same time and same station)

As I understand it, revenue yield is up, even at US East.

Boomer

Really?! And where would those additional pax come from? Just a touch disingenuous to even suggest it when you are out undercutting them to steal away the limited passenger base at embarrassing pay rates. Saying you would like to see the numbers go the other way would be like saying you hope your neighbors marriage lasts, while you're busy sleeping with his wife.... :rolleyes:

Busboy:

In case you weren't paying attention....most domestic air carriers have posted increases in passenger boarding year over year. U has lagged in this area considerably, as another poster pointed out, because they don't have the capacity to gain passengers because they have cut so many flights and aircraft. What they have done is do a lot of RJ flying that has lower total costs but extremely limited total profit potential given lower fares and fewer seats. The RJ's that U has based its future on only work well with high load factors and high yield. Take out one or the other and the RJ becomes a losing proposition. Ask Indy air about that.

Back to the E190 rates huh? You have a one track mind.

I wish nothing but the best to my friends at U....and I have lots of them. I spent 14 years of my career there and want to see them get what they deserve.....a growing, profitable airline.

Boomer

Busboy:

In case you weren't paying attention....most domestic air carriers have posted increases in passenger boarding year over year. U has lagged in this area considerably, as another poster pointed out, because they don't have the capacity to gain passengers because they have cut so many flights and aircraft. What they have done is do a lot of RJ flying that has lower total costs but extremely limited total profit potential given lower fares and fewer seats. The RJ's that U has based its future on only work well with high load factors and high yield. Take out one or the other and the RJ becomes a losing proposition. Ask Indy air about that.

Back to the E190 rates huh? You have a one track mind.

I wish nothing but the best to my friends at U....and I have lots of them. I spent 14 years of my career there and want to see them get what they deserve.....a growing, profitable airline.

Boomer

you spent 14 years at U and now you are willing to work for Blu's 190 rates? :shock:

U's traffic is hit disportionately because the east coast is precisely where the LCC's are attacking the hardest. There is a limited number of RPM's from NYC to Boston. If you are undercutting the ticket prices on U by giving ADD Dave whatever cost advantage he needs, then you are replacing the "good" jobs, with your lower "cost" ones. Is it that hard to comprehend? But then again, if you spent 14 years at U only to find yourself as a 190 pilot making what you make, then I'd have to say you're a slow learner.... :lol:

As to the 190 rates, there is one simple way to remove them as an issue once and for all......RAISE THEM!!

Back