Us Airways' Rivals Nose Into Market

Don't know why PIT would feel special. FLYi announced the sale for ALL their routes.

They reported an August LF of 45.5%. Since they phased out the UAL agreement on Aug 3, but still serve as a Delta connection carrier, it is impossible to tell how just the independent operation is doing (they didn't break it down).

One thing for sure, it's an interesting experiment to watch unfold.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
They reported an August LF of 45.5%. Since they phased out the UAL agreement on Aug 3, but still serve as a Delta connection carrier, it is impossible to tell how just the independent operation is doing (they didn't break it down).

One thing for sure, it's an interesting experiment to watch unfold.

Jim
[post="181245"][/post]​

The 45% Load Factor is the soley for the Independence Air operation (does not include Delta flying)

Consolidated United Express/Delta Connection/Independence Air Traffic
Month of August 2004
Revenue Passenger Miles (000) 176,690
Available Seat Miles (000) 348,107
Load Factor 50.8%
Passengers 516,275

Independence Air Traffic
Month of August 2004
Revenue Passenger Miles (000) 126,851
Available Seat Miles (000) 279,067
Load Factor 45.5%
Passengers 342,674

Yesterday i was flying U and I Air was at an adjacent gate.

They annouced a maintencance delay and said it could take several hours.

They only had enough seats on the next flight (2 hours later) for half of the passengers The rest would have to wait for a much later flight (4+ hours).

The gate agent annouced that "since they had no agreement with other airlines, they could not book them on other airlines!!

The passengers were not happy to say the least

phillyguy said:
Yesterday i was flying U and I Air was at an adjacent gate.

They annouced a maintencance delay and said it could take several hours.

They only had enough seats on the next flight (2 hours later) for half of the passengers The rest would have to wait for a much later flight (4+ hours).

The gate agent annouced that "since they had no agreement with other airlines, they could not book them on other airlines!!

The passengers were not happy to say the least
[post="181318"][/post]​

Like a recurring dream, this particular anecdote seems to get repeated. I have no doubt at all that it actually happened exactly as you said, as it has countless times before. (It was a favorite in BWI when SWA started service there...you see where I'm going with this?)

Ther traveling public (with the exception of FF business travelers) has the shortest memory span of any given group on the planet. Period. Sure those folks griped and moan that Independence wasn't able to do a darn thing for them. In November, when they are looking to go somewhere for the Thanksgiving break, they will go online and do a fare search. If Independence is $.05 cheaper than everyone else, guess where they will be in November? At the same gate in PHL griping about the same delays, service, etc.

And we will hear the anecdote once again from another bystander.

nycbusdriver....amen brother amen!!!!! Hear it all the time almost everyday on the phones with someone holding a Luv, Spirit and occasionally JetBlue ticket. Ironic how they want you to correct a choice that they have made and not pay anymore $$$$.

"The 45% Load Factor is the soley for the Independence Air operation (does not include Delta flying)"

Thanks, the release I saw didn't break it down.

Jim

nycbusdriver said:
Like a recurring dream, this particular anecdote seems to get repeated. I have no doubt at all that it actually happened exactly as you said, as it has countless times before. (It was a favorite in BWI when SWA started service there...you see where I'm going with this?)

Ther traveling public (with the exception of FF business travelers) has the shortest memory span of any given group on the planet. Period. Sure those folks griped and moan that Independence wasn't able to do a darn thing for them. In November, when they are looking to go somewhere for the Thanksgiving break, they will go online and do a fare search. If Independence is $.05 cheaper than everyone else, guess where they will be in November? At the same gate in PHL griping about the same delays, service, etc.

And we will hear the anecdote once again from another bystander.
[post="181352"][/post]​

I've often wondered if first how often this happens, but more importantly what would happen if the right person got really screwed and was told "sorry, you can't go for hours" and they made a huge deal about it. It seems like the media picks up negative stories about the legacies but not as much about the LCC guys (aside from the monthly law suit against WN by a COS). What would happen if a fuss was started by someone who got screwed in this situation and missed a huge meeting or a funeral or a wedding or something? Could enough of a firestorm be created to get a requirement that U.S. airlines must re-route passengers on other airlines if they overbook or cancel flights (aside from weather cancellations)? It would bring up the costs of the LCCs and be a step towards the "passenger's bill of rights."

The law does not protect schedules, and no airline has ever guaranteed them. You buy a ticket with a reservation and the contract stipulates certain things and one of those things is that nothing is certain.

On the rare occasion I come face to face with an irate passenger who is about to lose a "$20 million deal" because he cannot get to a 2 PM meeting in Manhattan (the flight is due in at LGA at 12:30PM.)

The airplane is stuck in CLT with a faulty widget that's vital for keeping the wings attached, and this guy is livid. I calmly apologize for wanting to fly a safe airplane (we always have to apologize for wanting to protect their butts,) and kindly inform him that, if the meeting were really THAT important, he should have been in a Manhattan hotel last night. It doesn't usually calm the passenger down, but it takes the wind out of those nonsensical arguments.

I'm not suggesting guaranteeing schedules, I'm simply suggesting that if a flight is cancelled through a fault of that airline that they should be required to re-book the displaced passengers on another carrier if that other carrier can transport them to their final destination sooner.

And I think it would take some sort of firestorm to get such a law passed. I'm not saying it is something I want to happen, just putting it out there as a hypothetical.

Latest posts

Back