US Airways thinks 2009 profit is possible

US Airways thinks 2009 profit is possible

US Airways says it could post a profit this year, even if passenger revenue falls 15 percent
Joshua Freed, AP Airlines Writer

Tuesday March 24, 2009, 3:20 pm EDT

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- US Airways Group Inc. could turn a profit this year even if passenger revenue falls 15 percent, the airline's president said on Tuesday.

Capacity cuts and lower fuel prices could offset the drop in revenue per available seat mile, or the money the airline collects for each seat it flew one mile, Scott Kirby said.

The airline may get a chance to test its belief that it can be profitable, even with that kind of revenue drop. The International Air Transport Association said on Tuesday that worldwide airline revenues will fall 12 percent this year.

Kirby also repeated an earlier statement that passenger bookings appear to have bottomed out in mid-February. While about as many passengers are flying, they're getting deep discounts on their tickets.

"It's going to be a difficult environment in 2009, but hopefully we've seen the worst of it," he told reporters at the company's headquarters.

Linkage

While I'm fully aware that business travel has fallen I sure hope US tries their hardest to fight for higher end passengers. Maybe try to keep the ones you have and win a few back that ya forced away. It may be a lost cause but as a business I think US should try. At a time when business passengers are thinning and coach fares are falling sharp along with overall load factors you need to not turn your back on the ones who still DO pay that higher fare. Bend over backward and act as if you need customers to run your business. Just a thought.

Travelpro,

I do appreciate the sentiment and angree that is what they need to do, but I do not think they will...why?

Because in order to do so they would have to admit they were wrong, something I doubt they will ever do. They will continue to blame anyone and anything other than themselves for the problems they face today, but will never admit fault.

Speaking for myself, I can only thank the Sand Castle for forcing me to look elsewhere....no offense to the fine men and women in the trenches at US, but I have found that the grass is truly greener on the other side of the concourse....and I might add it PAINS me to say that because I miss so many of you with whom I had become friendly over the years.

We still work with FF's who have issues with all airlines--and have successfully intervened in a number of cases. That said, the small glimmer of progress we had achieved with US management up until a month or so ago has faded out again, and based on some experiences we have learned of and some truly misguided comments made by Scott Kirby and some VP's in the press recently, I think we all can see how out of touch these people are, and how distorted their sense of reality is.

I truly wish I could try US again and visit with my friends, but alas I am Dirt Preferred to US at this time (all I have earned), and I even cancelled my Bof A card because it was no longer affiliated.......

My sincere best to you all........

ah hahahahahahahahahhahaha :lol:

15% drop ?

hmm i wonder how we will fare with a drop of 25% 50 % ?

ah , man that was a good laugh , thanks for the post !

Back