Us Broad Europe Access Application

ITRADE

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
DCA/IAD US2
www.geocities.com
Yesterday, US applied for broad authority to fly to most all "open skies" European countries - either directly or via code share:

Austria, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Romania, the Slovak Republic, and Sweden.

As I have said before, the new business plan calls for more transatlantic service to new European destinations. Some of the new routes could be flown with current widebody’s (the Pittsburgh to London and Frankfurt service will be eliminated) and the company is evaluating adding more widebody’s, provided it has a competitive cost structure, which will enable the airline to regain access to the capital markets.

The company is looking to add used B767-200s or A330s to the fleet plan (although Bruce Lakefield recently told ALPA in a meeting I attended that he was meeting with Airbus about aircraft delivery positions in 2005), provided they can be obtained on the “cheapâ€￾. It’s my understanding that a used B767 has better economics than a B757EOW aircraft in long-thin upstart markets.

Potential new markets include Vienna, Oslo, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Birmingham, and other locations.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
The company is looking to add used B767-200s or A330s to the fleet plan (although Bruce Lakefield recently told ALPA in a meeting I attended that he was meeting with Airbus about aircraft delivery positions in 2005), provided they can be obtained on the “cheapâ€￾. It’s my understanding that a used B767 has better economics than a B757EOW aircraft in long-thin upstart markets.
That's not what Lakefield said during the Q2 conference call. No plans to add to their jumbo fleet in the near term...

ITRADE said:
That's not what Lakefield said during the Q2 conference call. No plans to add to their jumbo fleet in the near term...
Itrade,

That is funny, I told him the samething 4 times last week and he keeps posting his own little fantasy world information.

Near-term is relative and I heard the conference call too. I'll say it again, US Airways has held talks with different aircraft and engine supply companies about widebody delivery's, which could be new or used aircraft. Furthermore, with the news that United Airlines could have more aircraft repossessed, this could change the entire equation too.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

the only problem i had with that story is it didnt have anything to do with usairways only ual which by the way looks as though they could have some plane repossed but not one word mentioned usair buying any of the planes or leasing or whatever.

USA320Pilot said:
Near-term is relative and I heard the confernece call too. I'll say it again, US Airways has held talks with different aircraft and engine supply companies about widebody delivery's, which could be new or used aircraft. Furthermore, with the news that United Airlines could have more aircraft repossed, this could change the entire equation too.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot
So now you are calling Lakefield a liar?

More of your secret cockpit chronicles?

US can't even afford an RJ, do you think they will be getting a widebody?

Also the UAL planes are the oldest ones in their fleet that will be returned, nothing worth of any value and not ER type.

US Airways is currently taking delivery of new aircraft at two units, PSA and MDA, thus it currently has access to new aircraft financing.

With a competitive cost structure, the company can return to the capital markets and finance more aicraft, whether they are used or new.

The Transformation Plan calls for 320 aircraft.

At the last ALPA meeting, Bruce Lakefield told the pilot group he was meeting with the Airbus senior vice president of sales to discuss 2005 aircraft delivery's.

Moreover, I know for fact the company is holding talks with engine manufacturers about widebody aircraft engine purchases. This information comes from the manufacturer.

If the company enters bankrputcy then the airline will not be able to finance new jets until it exits the formal reorganization. Will there be more widebody's added to the fleet? Who knows, but it's being discussed.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Near-term is relative and I heard the conference call too. I'll say it again, US Airways has held talks with different aircraft and engine supply companies about widebody delivery's, which could be new or used aircraft. Furthermore, with the news that United Airlines could have more aircraft repossessed, this could change the entire equation too.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot
Yeesh, the UAL 767-200's that are being parked (1) aren't the ER models, so they're not suitable for transatlantic flying and (2) have Pratt engines, while US's are CFM's. They're also 21-22 years old -- the first 767's off the line, which means lots of maintenance. So let's see, US takes a bunch of geriatric 767's without enough range to go transatlantic AND different engines from the existing fleet. Brilliant idea!

My guess is that those authorities will largely be used to offer code-share flying on LH via FRA and/or MUC, not for increased transatlantic flying on US. Take Oslo, for example. If SAS can't make money flying from Oslo to NYC (EWR) with an A330, what makes you think that US can from PHL???

At the last ALPA meeting, Bruce Lakefield told the pilot group he was meeting with the Airbus senior vice president of sales to discuss 2005 aircraft delivery's.

Have you ever considered that Lakefield might be telling the pilots what they want to hear so that he can get deeper concessions? Have you considered that the company might get to "320 aircraft" in the Transformation Plan by flying EMB-190/195's at Mesa payrates and retiring 737's? That'd be a very "competitive cost structure."

The only way an airline obtains code share revenue is when a passenger flies on the company's own aircraft. US Airways intends to add new European cities to its network that are hubs for Star Alliance members.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Sfb:

Sfb said: “Have you considered that the company might get to "320 aircraft" in the Transformation Plan by flying EMB-190/195's at Mesa payrates and retiring 737's?â€￾

USA320Pilot answers: Dave Siegel indicated at the Bombardier press conference last August the EMB-190/195 could be used s B737 replacement aircraft, but the new plan is to add CRJ-900 and/or EMB-190/195 aircraft to MDA. In addition, Lakefield told ALPA at a meeting I intended about 6 weeks ago hw was talking to Airbus about adding mainline aircraft to the fleet.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
As I have said before, the new business plan calls for more transatlantic service to new European destinations. Some of the new routes could be flown with current widebody’s (the Pittsburgh to London and Frankfurt service will be eliminated) and the company is evaluating adding more widebody’s, provided it has a competitive cost structure, which will enable the airline to regain access to the capital markets.

Potential new markets include Vienna, Oslo, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Birmingham, and other locations.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
All I've got say is...PLEASE give us in Res some more planes so we can fill the seats on US flights instead of booking codeshare w/UA or LH or Star carriers. It would be great to be able to book our psgrs on US metal to OA hubs in European markets!!! :up: :up:

Latest posts

Back