US Going out of business

As a gate agent in Philly, I will tell you the problem. Whether you choose to believe the facts are entirely up to all readers.
1. Customer service is severely understaffed although Mr. Kirby states it isn't.
2. If you have 30 domestic gates and only 8 agents to work them, you will have to expect delays on jetway bridges.

3. Half of the departure gate staff is pulled from the ticket counters because the employee's are quiting and they a, don't know how to work a gate and b, do not know how to operate a jetway bridge.

4. Shares is a disaster. Flight info is next to impossible and we can't do our jobs with this "greased pig".

5. Moral is a an all time low and management doesn't care about us and more importantly our customers.

6. Cheap , cheap, cheap is all I can say to explain the meltdown in our airport.

7. Why don't the customers challenge doogie and company and get to the bottom of the situation.

AND FINALLY, OUR EMPLOYEES IN CUSTOMER SERVICE HAVE REACHED THE END AND ARE LOSING IT. WE ARE OVERWORKED, OVERPAYED AND ARE GETTING PHYSICALLY SICK OVER THIS AND GUESS WHAT? THIS MAKES MANAGEMENT AT ALL LEVELS VERY, VERY HAPPY. THEY WILL NEVER ADMIT THEY HAVE FAILED EVERYONE.

GOT YOUR ATTENTION WHEN I SAID OVERPAID?

AT 9.59 AN HOUR TO START, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT. A LITTLE HARD TO RENT AN APARTMENT , RAISE A FAMILY AND PUT FOOD IN THE FRIDGE FOR 9.59 AND HOUR.

GEE, THAT ISN'T EVEN MIDDLE CLASS INCOME IS IT !

IM SURE WE WILL HAVE HATERS REACT TO MY THREAD, BUT THE TRUTH HAS BEEN SPOKEN.

DEAD TIRED IN PHILLY....SOS

DCA is a station that lives and/or dies with overtime coverage. The agents are so fed up 4 weeks into this Shares nightmare , no agents have signed up in almost 3 weeks. So , needless to say our coverage is bare bones.There are only 2 CSS's on duty and none at the gates with 50 or so flights after 4 pm , only 1 or 2 shift managers. I think Doug and Scott need to get out into the real world and see what chaos their decisions have caused. If this is adequate staffing I would hate to see what these 2 think is understaffing. And before Travis Christ says it is partially Sabres fault , our kiosks can now only handle about 25% of the transactions prior to migration. It is not Sabre at fault , it is Shares. Add the 75% reduction in efficiency with the kiosks and the lines for the ato grow exponentially , 3 and 4 times the amount of people in line. Tell me again why Shares was the way to go.

First off, I'm a PHL gate agent, AM. The management for the last year and a half has been all AW. They totally suck, in absolute denial. Was told 2 days ago by a "Senior" Duty Manager that these clowns did not think things were so bad! Staffing is HORRIBLE except when Parker or the boys come through; we are then tripping over each other. There have been instances (really) that I have been boarding a flight on B-14 another one of my flights is coming in on B-2. I have to close the door at 14 run to 2, park the aircraft, do connections then run back to 14 and continue boarding..(swear this has happened). Now that we have Shares it is very difficult. We don't know when there is a a/c swap or to pull up inbound connections. We are now constantly on the phone with the tower because we don't know if our a/c is in range or on the ground. F/A manifests are joke and forget about outbound connex. I'm not even going to get into the caliber of people we are now hiring. I remember when you couldn't get hired by US Air. I have 25 years with US Air and was a GREAT gate agent....now I totally suck and I'm embarrassed.

Obviously you have not flown F or J on other legacy carriers...you know the ones---US's competitors. While every other legacy carrier enhances it premium product, US continues to degrade it and charge the same price--OH, unless you consider the return of liquid creamer now that is worth $1200 to MIA from PHL. :rolleyes:

I admit I am a bit ignorant on comparisons of first class departments and services, however, in keeping with the original context of the post, I think US AIRWAYS is making huge profits and will continue to do so, regardless of quality service rankings. Seats are tight in the sky, and the internet rules! I'd even go as far to say that regardless of opinion on first class, US AIRWAYS is generating big bucks from its first class.

Thankfully, for the workers on airlines whose service is pathetic, the travel agent is less of a player now than before. Consumers don't have time to do adequate research so they hit the ole internet button to print their tickets. US AIRWAYS has competitive fare structuring so let's give it big points for filling its planes damen near to capacity this spring.

And let's give US AIRWAYS management some points for rightsizing the airline in special key markets so that regardless of quality service, the planes are damn near always full.

Nonetheless, it needs to address its internal labor relations in a just way for it to be optimized.

regards,

I like the idea of moving the upper management to PHL for a while. Let them walk in our shoes and get a first hand idea what hell is like. Send the agents and rampers too. Heck, lets just start an exchange program. IMHO

Okay, I'm not sure what everyone else thinks, but at least I thought I would state my opinion and get some feedback. Working for this company over the past several months has been challenging to say the least...
What does everyone else think?

This is just another day with another airline... United has the same problems... understaffing. Welcome to the world of the surviving legacy carrier.

Get a clue dude, SHARES is meant for a smaller airline and is not working here. People are not whining because they don't like change and want the old system back---it's because the new system DOES NOT WORK unless you have a day to check people in for a flight.

Just so everyone knows, Continental uses SHARES.

FYI, CO...Shares up and running for years...native system access. Most likely, properly trained. (not merely two days training with agents, not trainers.) Not "Quick". LCC, unprepared and careless. No native, no options except grin an bear it. The persons running the show don't care. They seem to enjoy putting employees and customers thru sh++. Four weeks into it???? Still not caring or incapable, I'm not sure which.
There, now you are "informed".

Just sounds like another day in PHL.

PHL IS 50PCT OF THE REASON WE LEAD THE INDUSTRY IN PAWOBS. ITS AMAZING, PSGRS CAN HAVE 3HR CONNX AND THE BAGS STILL DONT GET MOVED. JUST RECENTLY I WORKED WITH A GROUP OF KIDS GOING TO EUROPE TO PLAY SOCCER, THEIR BAGS CAUGHT UP WITH THEM IN MUC JUST AS THEY WERE ABOUT TO COME HOME. SO THEIR ENTIRE TRIP WAS RUINED. BAGS PROBABLY SAT ON A CART IN PHL ALL WEEK

I like the idea of moving the upper management to PHL for a while. Let them walk in our shoes and get a first hand idea what hell is like. Send the agents and rampers too. Heck, lets just start an exchange program. IMHO

They. Don't. Want. To. Fix. It.

It is your job to get them to fix it.

Get it?

The lady who is head secretary for inflight once told me that CCY needed to have management based there to change things. She grew up there and has her hand on the pulse of things. She sees sups. and management come and go. She knows where the skeletons are buried. No one in management wants to be there. Everyone wants to run it by remote control. History shows this does not work.

Back