Us/west (hp) Fleet

AstroLounge

Veteran
Oct 10, 2005
Was informed that the demonstration of the LIFE VEST will be necessary on the EOW flights to Hawaii. Out of curiousity are the HP 757's video equipped or not? When US/East acquired the former Eastern 757's (original 10 to enter the fleet) MTC had to install a VHS style system which was later upgraded to a Hi-8 system by Sony. The AB narrowbody fleet is equipped with I believe a system of Matsushita Hi-8. As for the 737 (300/400) aka "Satan's Chariot" as the fat stubby plane shrinks in numbers the video system is removed from the a/c and F/A's get to perform Live..........and some of the demos show lots of missteps, if you know what I mean. So, what should we expect in The WEST?

The only 757's US East has with the Hi8 system are like 626-633? The last ones delivered. I can tell you NONE of the Eastern 757's have the Hi8 to my knowledge. They have that outdated 1979 VHS that hisses and growls at you whenever you try to do anything. The only worse thing is the 767 going to Europe. You have to buy that thing a drink and stoke it a lot just to get it to come on and show the demo!

Was informed that the demonstration of the LIFE VEST will be necessary on the EOW flights to Hawaii. Out of curiousity are the HP 757's video equipped or not? When US/East acquired the former Eastern 757's (original 10 to enter the fleet) MTC had to install a VHS style system which was later upgraded to a Hi-8 system by Sony. The AB narrowbody fleet is equipped with I believe a system of Matsushita Hi-8. As for the 737 (300/400) aka "Satan's Chariot" as the fat stubby plane shrinks in numbers the video system is removed from the a/c and F/A's get to perform Live..........and some of the demos show lots of missteps, if you know what I mean. So, what should we expect in The WEST?

First of all I believe the flights to Hawaii are ETOPS flights. Flights to other destinations such as Cancun and Costa Rica I believe will be classified EOW. EOW = Extended Over Water, but not as long as a flight to Hawaii. I'm still a little foggy on this. The 757 I was checking out the other day is certified ETOPS and has video monitors down the isle way. Was about one monitor for every 7 rows. I believe all the other ETOPS aircraft are equipped the same. I saw something about having to do a live demo. I think the reason was the video won't be ready in time for the first month or so. EOW flights are going to save alot of gas money and flight time.

The only 757's US East has with the Hi8 system are like 626-633? The last ones delivered. I can tell you NONE of the Eastern 757's have the Hi8 to my knowledge. They have that outdated 1979 VHS that hisses and growls at you whenever you try to do anything. The only worse thing is the 767 going to Europe. You have to buy that thing a drink and stoke it a lot just to get it to come on and show the demo!
Question was DIRECTED to the people in the WEST............I am fully aware of what is available in the EAST and I know exactly which 757s have which system and know the multi 767 closet of horrors intimately.

From US/West - yes all of our 757 have video systems - the ETOPS aircraft are now configured and went into service this weekend. I do not know or have heard if the ETOPS video has been completed for these a/c. I do know that on every flight - even PHX-LAS the video or live demo showing the life vest use is required. Hope that helps.

From US/West - yes all of our 757 have video systems - the ETOPS aircraft are now configured and went into service this weekend. I do not know or have heard if the ETOPS video has been completed for these a/c. I do know that on every flight - even PHX-LAS the video or live demo showing the life vest use is required. Hope that helps.
Thanks for responding! Our safety video also features the life vest demo and the video is bilingual with what amounts to the F.A.Rs featured and spoken in Spanish. Years ago when we did a Wet Lease operation with British Airways, F/A's also stood in the aisle near the bulkhead mounted monitors and demo'd along with the video..........passengers liked it and the Crew (was the Crew)

Thanks for responding! Our safety video also features the life vest demo and the video is bilingual with what amounts to the F.A.Rs featured and spoken in Spanish. Years ago when we did a Wet Lease operation with British Airways, F/A's also stood in the aisle near the bulkhead mounted monitors and demo'd along with the video..........passengers liked it and the Crew (was the Crew)

Just had to throw my piece in the mix here. Yes HP 757 are video equipped and they use the Hi8 tapes. The video system are the screen in the center of the aisle on the ceiling. HP began operating EOW eq this morning for a IAH flight and more. The video demo must be done live on each flight segment flown by an EOW a/c for several months as the new Video Demo has not been completed yet due to the merger, to bring this video more in line to have some commonality with US East. The video will be completed in the next few months.

At U/West the FA's will have to provide a live safety demo on the 3 ETOPS 757 currenty in the fleet regardless of the destination. The video safety demo for the ETOPS A/C will not be ready for approx 18 months. Hopefully the video will be out sooner until then it's going to be a bad hair day..

At U/West the FA's will have to provide a live safety demo on the 3 ETOPS 757 currenty in the fleet regardless of the destination. The video safety demo for the ETOPS A/C will not be ready for approx 18 months. Hopefully the video will be out sooner until then it's going to be a bad hair day..

Oh God.............when I went through the ETOPS training we "practiced" doing the walking demo from 2/L and it was a total pain. 18 months is a long time to be doing that demo!! I never fly this plane and don't want to now - even with Hawaii starting up next month.

As for the 737 (300/400) aka "Satan's Chariot" as the fat stubby plane shrinks in numbers the video system is removed from the a/c and F/A's get to perform Live..........and some of the demos show lots of missteps, if you know what I mean. So, what should we expect in The WEST?
I love that name! Perfect!

Two safety video comments from the US-East side. I flew on 734 ship 419 last week and was surprised :) to see the video safety demo. I know many of the 733/734's had the video system removed and I thought the remaining ones were all deactivated I was a little surprised ! Also to give you an idea how old some parts of the current safety video are, there is a brief shot of airport departure screens, those are from the old terminal in LGA, our new/current terminal opened in 1992, and one of the flights you see is 577, LGA-MCI-LAX, well its been a long time since we flew LGA-MCI-LAX ! Perhaps with the merger we will actually get a new video ?

Regards

LGA777

I think I was on 419 back in April out of PBI. (PBI is usually an all 400 station, so if it was anywhere, it sure as hell was there.) What shocked me even more than the video still being activated, was that they even had the spanish part of the demo to boot!

I think I was on 419 back in April out of PBI. (PBI is usually an all 400 station, so if it was anywhere, it sure as hell was there.) What shocked me even more than the video still being activated, was that they even had the spanish part of the demo to boot!
The bilingual safety video, based no doubt on the expansion into Central America and additional destinations throughout the Caribbean was PROBABLY one of the FEW (I can't fathom counting too high) decisions made by the Former management in the EAST.....and more than likely it was outsourced :p

OK, this is just a tad big off topic but still deals with the demo. I have always wondered why on transatlantic flights US-east always requires us to stand in the beginning of each zone all "Pretty" while the demo plays. That certainly is not some kind of FAR because we don't do it on any other a/c. Well on the A330 we have do demo because the company was to cheap to get the video monitors on the walls. Kinda like buying a new car with roll-up windows but I digress.... We don't stand like that during the demo on the 767 when doing a domestic leg. Now comming from the unnecessarily dismantled Transatlantic division, I know snobbishness ran a little high against domestic...lol but who in the hell made that standard?

OK, this is just a tad big off topic but still deals with the demo. I have always wondered why on transatlantic flights US-east always requires us to stand in the beginning of each zone all "Pretty" while the demo plays. That certainly is not some kind of FAR because we don't do it on any other a/c. Well on the A330 we have do demo because the company was to cheap to get the video monitors on the walls. Kinda like buying a new car with roll-up windows but I digress.... We don't stand like that during the demo on the 767 when doing a domestic leg. Now comming from the unnecessarily dismantled Transatlantic division, I know snobbishness ran a little high against domestic...lol but who in the hell made that standard?

i think it came from the British Airways wetlease