very new guy with a few questions

KillaGorilla

Oct 10, 2009
Hi there, my name is James and flying has been something i have always dreamed of doing. i am just shy of my 30th birthday and looking seriously into getting my private pilots license and the purchase of a small plane. I am quite confident i can get the license and have done a good deal of research concerning that. My questions are more related to the aircraft themselves.

In no particular order .
I am a large guy, i am 6'5 and a bit hefty. i am assuming head and shoulder room is not going to be very reasonable in many models. can you recommend a plane that is forgiving in these areas ?.
My goal in purchasing a plane is simply for personal enjoyment, i am open to suggestions but i would like to stay in the 30-80 thousand dollar range, it would be nice to accommodate 4 people. would prefer something with a reasonable fuel consumption and as long of a range as possible. Also as i would be new to ownership something which is reasonably priced to maintain and parts are readily availible.
I notice there are quite a few older 50's-80's model craft for sale and they seem to have quite varying instrumentation. are these craft reasonable for a novice pilot. and is the instrumentation a factor i should put a lot of emphasis on.
I also note that the condition of interior / paint seems to be something people are quick to point out. is there something excessively expensive about aircraft paint or seating material, that is different from automotive materials?
Just as a very rough estimate. what would the general cost of operation outside of unforeseen mechanical issues. i understand fuel, insurance, hanger/location, inspections etc. what am i leaving out.

once again as i say i am quite green to this and any advice you can throw my way would be quite helpful. i do fully intend to rent several planes before i would consider purchasing one, but i like to get as much information as i can as early as possible.

Hi there, my name is James and flying has been something i have always dreamed of doing. i am just shy of my 30th birthday and looking seriously into getting my private pilots license and the purchase of a small plane. I am quite confident i can get the license and have done a good deal of research concerning that. My questions are more related to the aircraft themselves.

In no particular order .
I am a large guy, i am 6'5 and a bit hefty. i am assuming head and shoulder room is not going to be very reasonable in many models. can you recommend a plane that is forgiving in these areas ?.
My goal in purchasing a plane is simply for personal enjoyment, i am open to suggestions but i would like to stay in the 30-80 thousand dollar range, it would be nice to accommodate 4 people. would prefer something with a reasonable fuel consumption and as long of a range as possible. Also as i would be new to ownership something which is reasonably priced to maintain and parts are readily availible.
I notice there are quite a few older 50's-80's model craft for sale and they seem to have quite varying instrumentation. are these craft reasonable for a novice pilot. and is the instrumentation a factor i should put a lot of emphasis on.
I also note that the condition of interior / paint seems to be something people are quick to point out. is there something excessively expensive about aircraft paint or seating material, that is different from automotive materials?
Just as a very rough estimate. what would the general cost of operation outside of unforeseen mechanical issues. i understand fuel, insurance, hanger/location, inspections etc. what am i leaving out.

once again as i say i am quite green to this and any advice you can throw my way would be quite helpful. i do fully intend to rent several planes before i would consider purchasing one, but i like to get as much information as i can as early as possible.
Being that I'm also 6'5" and displace a large quantity of water when in a pool I can offer the following advice based on my own experience. My plane ownership life began back in 1992 and at that time I started with an Archer III. It was an excellent first aircraft, very reliable and easy to fly. Most importantly I had enough shoulder and leg room. I have always liked the regular throttle quadrant and low wing a/c and as such I did not look at Cessna's line of 4 seaters ( I have owned several Cessnas since and have found them to be well made, well supported a/cs.) From the Archer I moved into a Saratoga which I really enjoyed. Best way is to try them for size and see what you like. The prospect of being in an airplane that does not quite fit for 3-4 hours at a time has to be a priority in selecting it.

Latest posts