Very Very High Us Fares On Short Routes

Feb 11, 2004
Requested Flight
Itinerary Total - US$ 792.90 Flight Fare Rules
1 adult at US$ 792.90
3:00pm Depart Long Island Macarthu (ISP)

6:27pm Arrive Washington D.C., (DCA) Jul. 07
US Airways flight 3801 operated by US AIRWAYS EXPRESS-ALLEGHENY AIRLINES/ 111 Connection in Philadelphia, PA View rules
8:27pm Depart Washington D.C., (DCA)

11:37pm Arrive Long Island Macarthu (ISP) Jul. 09
US Airways flight 3250 operated by US AIRWAYS EXPRESS-CHAUTAUQUA AIRLINES/ 3936 operated by US AIRWAYS EXPRESS-ALLEGHENY AIRLINES Connection in Philadelphia, PA

Highest walk-up fare on WN for a Non-stop flight to BWI is S160. US should at least drop the fare to $ 320.00. At least that would only be double the WN fare.

LongIsland2004 said:
Requested Flight
Itinerary Total - US$ 792.90 Flight Fare Rules
1 adult at US$ 792.90
3:00pm Depart Long Island Macarthu (ISP)

6:27pm Arrive Washington D.C., (DCA) Jul. 07
US Airways flight 3801 operated by US AIRWAYS EXPRESS-ALLEGHENY AIRLINES/ 111 Connection in Philadelphia, PA View rules
8:27pm Depart Washington D.C., (DCA)

11:37pm Arrive Long Island Macarthu (ISP) Jul. 09
US Airways flight 3250 operated by US AIRWAYS EXPRESS-CHAUTAUQUA AIRLINES/ 3936 operated by US AIRWAYS EXPRESS-ALLEGHENY AIRLINES Connection in Philadelphia, PA

Highest walk-up fare on WN for a Non-stop flight to BWI is S160. US should at least drop the fare to $ 320.00. At least that would only be double the WN fare.
If you're willing to do BWI to get to DCA, how about doing LGA-DCA nonstop for $320 round trip?

ITRADE said:
If you're willing to do BWI to get to DCA, how about doing LGA-DCA nonstop for $320 round trip?
That'd be good if you had any idea of when you were going to arrive. ;)

This is an illustration of what I have been saying all along-it's insane.

And I prefer to avoid LaGuardia-it's 90 min in traffic to the airport and $24 a day to park.

I never advocated the $69 fares, but they have to be RATIONAL.

I am attending the wonderful upcoming Roachfest next month and I am DRIVING--because they want over $700 to fly there and back the same day!

This is what's driving people away folks.

Good heavens. Im not sure where you live on LI but it would be hard to imagine that if you really wanted to go to DCA it wouldnt be faster, cheaper and more pleasant to take the LIRR to Penn Station and the Acela to Washington than taking an express flight to PHL and then another to DCA. While the actual flight time might be a little bit less, it is a lot less of a hassle at the station than at the airport. And the train is a lot nicer than even a mainline first class, much less an Express flight.

I just got back from a trip to DC last week and did Acela both ways. I paid the extra $162 to upgrade to first on both routes myself and it was just so enjoyable. You just dont need to fly on express flights in and out of PHL to get from Long Island to DCA. No one should have to be subjected to that.

GadgetFreak said:
Good heavens. Im not sure where you live on LI but it would be hard to imagine that if you really wanted to go to DCA it wouldnt be faster, cheaper and more pleasant to take the LIRR to Penn Station and the Acela to Washington than taking an express flight to PHL and then another to DCA. While the actual flight time might be a little bit less, it is a lot less of a hassle at the station than at the airport. And the train is a lot nicer than even a mainline first class, much less an Express flight.

I just got back from a trip to DC last week and did Acela both ways. I paid the extra $162 to upgrade to first on both routes myself and it was just so enjoyable. You just dont need to fly on express flights in and out of PHL to get from Long Island to DCA. No one should have to be subjected to that.
I was disappointed with Acela. It still had those uncomfortable train seats with no lumbar support.

I thought they were very comfortable. But compared to a Dash 8 a nylon lounge chair would be comfortable. Then there is the smell, ack. What awful memories.

Back