We've Got The Power

Flying Titan

Veteran
Oct 14, 2003
US Airways Customers Empowered - Airline Will Continue to Offer Power Ports in Every Row on Airbus Aircraft

TEMPE, Ariz., Dec 06, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- US Airways (NYSE: LCC) today announced it will maintain power ports on its US Airways' operated Airbus fleet, which today includes the A319, A320, A321 and A330. The power ports supply 15 volts for laptop computers, portable DVD players and other electronics via in-arm connectors. Adapters, necessary to utilize the power ports, vary according to laptop type and can be found at most major electronic stores.

"Our customers, especially business customers, have told us that power ports are an extremely important amenity to them. They no doubt come in handy on longer flights, and in particular transatlantic flights," said Scott Kirby, executive vice president, sales and marketing.

The power ports will continue to operate on more than 120 US Airways aircraft. The airline is analyzing whether to install power ports on additional America West-operated Airbus aircraft.

Apparently, the customer hissy fits worked..well done!

http://www.shareholder.com/americawest/Rel...eleaseID=181197

US Airways Customers Empowered - Airline Will Continue to Offer Power Ports in Every Row on Airbus Aircraft
TEMPE, Ariz., Dec 06, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- US Airways (NYSE: LCC) today announced it will maintain power ports on its US Airways' operated Airbus fleet, which today includes the A319, A320, A321 and A330. The power ports supply 15 volts for laptop computers, portable DVD players and other electronics via in-arm connectors. Adapters, necessary to utilize the power ports, vary according to laptop type and can be found at most major electronic stores.

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050223/LAW097LOGO)

"Our customers, especially business customers, have told us that power ports are an extremely important amenity to them. They no doubt come in handy on longer flights, and in particular transatlantic flights," said Scott Kirby, executive vice president, sales and marketing.

The power ports will continue to operate on more than 120 US Airways aircraft. The airline is analyzing whether to install power ports on additional America West-operated Airbus aircraft.

US Airways and America West's recent merger creates the fifth largest domestic airline employing 35,000 aviation professionals. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and US Airways Express operate approximately 4,000 flights per day and serve more than 225 communities in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America.

US Airways is a member of the Star Alliance, which was established in 1997 as the first truly global airline alliance to offer customers global reach and a smooth travel experience. Star Alliance has been voted Best Airline Alliance by Skytrax in 2003 and 2005. The other members are Air Canada, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana Airlines, Austrian, bmi, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Scandinavian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Spanair, TAP Portugal, THAI, United, and VARIG Brazilian Airlines. South African Airways and SWISS will be integrated during the first half of 2006. Overall, the member carriers offer more than 15,000 daily flights to 790 destinations in 138 countries. (LCCG)

SOURCE US Airways

I am glad to hear this.

I have one question for a technical person out there. Why can't our planes be equiped with 110V AC power ports like Air Canada has on their 321s. It was great, no additional adaptors requires. Since no one was sitting next to me I charged my cell phone in their outlet.

I am sure there must be some reg. for the 115v AC power onboard. They would rather have low voltage DC power. But some of US planes have 110V AC in the Lav.

Just a basic question, no need to blame this on Mgt or Unions, just facts please.

the only thing i can think of is a fire hazard. having all those 110v sockets at every seat. other than that i have no idea. anyone else care to explain?

All I can picture in my mind is "little Jimmy" sticking something in the outlet and US getting sued. :rolleyes:

The outlets on Air Canada's planes have safegards for that, and they are low amps, about 2.5 amps.

Also as I pointed out many planes have 110VAC in the lavs by the sink.

hey, i will ask that at the town hall meeting today in clt. i am flying up to attend it.

Good move on US's part.

I'm personally a fan of DC power, but that's the industry that I come from. There's more substantial amount of backend inverter equipment and resources that would be required to provide AC to the seat versus DC.

Think about it, most portable products need a transformer ("wall warts") to use AC power. With providing a straight DC source the only thing that is needed is a voltage regulator (Igo Juice) that can be tapped to provide multiple devices DC power.

-JC

Speaking of powerports, I was surprised to see a power outlet on the Embraer 170s, on the galley side of the closet @ door R1... is this a regular outlet?? I'm just wondering if its possible to beg the FA's to plug in my DVD player on some of these long flights! :)

The outlets on Air Canada's planes have safegards for that, and they are low amps, about 2.5 amps.

2.5 amps!!@$? That'll send anyone into instant death. You can be killed on less than an amp.

Sidebar - Amtrak has 110V plugs at every seat (on NE Corridor trains, at least).

2.5 amps!!@$? That'll send anyone into instant death. You can be killed on less than an amp.

In the military, I was electrocuted by a piece of equipment and that blew a 2.5 amp circuit breaker. POP! went the circuit breaker. I just layed on the floor and shook. Got sick, too. For a long time on my arm there was a scar with the entrance point and a scar for the exit point. The electricity traveled down my arm and actually exited near my wrist. Ouch! :lol:

US Airways says power ports will stay

“Pack those power cords, US Airways travelers.â€￾ That’s the word from The Arizona Republic, which reports the airline has reversed its decision to stop offering electric power ports on its Airbus jets. Many fliers griped after the carrier announced that it could no longer afford to offer the power ports prior to its merger with America West. But now the airline is even considering adding power outlets to the 92 Airbus jets that were part of America West’s fleet. The move will allow users of laptops and other portable electronic gadgets to keep charging their devices’ batteries throughout the flight. What prompted the change? "Obviously, we got a lot of feedback from our customers," airline spokesman Phil Gee tells The Republic.

Back