Other 757's

BuffaloJoe

Veteran
Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
Modified 757 Aircraft to Operate on New Route

Northwest is making several improvements to a specially-dedicated fleet of Boeing 757s in order to provide trans-Atlantic customers with a comfortable, competitive travel experience.

The World Business Class cabin will be configured with 16 new seats in a two-aisle-two arrangement. The World Business Class seat will provide five feet (1.5 meters) of personal space. The seat will have many features including a four-way movable headrest, a laptop computer power port, snake reading light, extendable footrest and lumbar support, among other comforts.

World Business Class customers will be provided with a portable in-flight entertainment system with a wide variety of 40 movies, four short-subject videos, 16 music programs, 40 compact discs of music and six games to choose from, all available on-demand, so they can choose and play their entertainment when it fits their needs.

The economy class cabin will be equipped with 144 seats configured in a three-aisle-three arrangement. The "pitch," or distance between rows, is being increased up to four inches, providing additional legroom and comfort.

What will US do in response?

They will take out another row of first on the 757's and decrease pitch by 2 inches, to match Ryan Air, who they are looking to emulate for transatlantic.

Everyone else is increasing comfort and amenities and our own Walmart Air is going in the opposite direction.

I just booked 3 trips this morning--all with the wonderful folks at Chairmans because as usual the web site is horrible.

They don't get it--and I don't think they want to.

Thus far, every airline that has taken out seats to increase seat pitch has eventually put them back in. Remember AA's "More Room Throughout Coach"? Pax love having more legroom but not enough are willing to pay for it.

Thus far, every airline that has taken out seats to increase seat pitch has eventually put them back in. Remember AA's "More Room Throughout Coach"? Pax love having more legroom but not enough are willing to pay for it.

"Every airline" is a bit of an exagerration. UA's "Economy Plus" area of the coach cabin is still around, while jetBlue recently announced that they are removing a row from their A320s (mainly to be able to legally fly with one less FA).

You'll do what Doogie and the shareholders feel is in their best interest. In this case, nothing.

What am I missing? US already said that the transatlantic 757's will have an Envoy section. How many rows I haven't heard, but does anyone know if any went in for refurb yet? Will they have the AVOD or something else to display on those nifty LCDs?

not to worry--we're getting some ETOPS --Pratt pwr---75's from United with some nice seats---this info from a gov. agency in charge of the airways.

In addition to three 757's being returned shortly (610,612, 617) I read recently US may be returning 3 more (622,623,624) while we keep the ex Eastern birds that are much older plus most of the west 757's are much older. Not sure I understand the logic in this ?

Regards

LGA777

US won't get 757s with Pratts, all the 757s US flies are RR powered.

In addition to three 757's being returned shortly (610,612, 617) I read recently US may be returning 3 more (622,623,624) while we keep the ex Eastern birds that are much older plus most of the west 757's are much older. Not sure I understand the logic in this ?

Regards

LGA777
610, wasn't that the first 57 that was delivered new from Boeing? Ideas that fly or something like that? Anyway I wouldn't be so sure about that United thing, they're short on planes as it is, well so are we so I guess I just answered my own question.

Regards

LGA777
Becaaaaaaaaaaaaaus the nicer 757's iz marketable. The older 757's are quite needy and require personal sacrifice to keep flying, which we are used to doing.

Each quarterly report has a table showing the number of airplanes whose lease expires for the next couple of years or so. Unfortunately, it doesn't break it down by airplane type.

Presumably, these are all leaving as the leases expire and the leasor can get more for them somewhere else - meaning we're not willing to pay as much as others.

Unfortunately, there's plenty more that'll be leaving.....

Jim

Yes 610 was the first brand new US ordered 757, it was bought and paid for with our cost saving ideas and was named "Ideas that Fly" stickered on both sides of the plane.

Yes 610 was the first brand new US ordered 757, it was bought and paid for with our cost saving ideas and was named "Ideas that Fly" stickered on both sides of the plane.
Thanks, thats what I thought but I didn't want to put my foot in my mouth.

Each quarterly report has a table showing the number of airplanes whose lease expires for the next couple of years or so. Unfortunately, it doesn't break it down by airplane type.

Presumably, these are all leaving as the leases expire and the leasor can get more for them somewhere else - meaning we're not willing to pay as much as others.

Unfortunately, there's plenty more that'll be leaving.....

Jim
Jim,

You do not have very many nice things to say about US or many well wishes/ positive forward looking statements since you retired. Retirement treating you well? :huh:

Latest posts