What Is Us Airways Answer To Ted?

Fatherknowsbest

Advanced
Sep 19, 2003
One of the biggest areas of concern (to me) has been our inability to come up with inovative new ideas. We follow - we usually don't lead.

Just wondering what our next moves are? I always thought it was a mistake to never bring MetroJet into the Hubs. I think it might have been more likely to be successful to market lower fares in our biggest cities. Have you ever heard the complaints about how we overcharge customers in our Hubs? I hear it often.

Do we become "TED" on the east coast? Is that an option? United employees probably aren't thrilled about TED, because I would expect lower labor costs in that division. Does United now purchase U to bring TED to the east? Would it be better to be the lowcost feeder or die on the vine as a fullservice airline?

Thoughts, ideas anyone?

Fatherknowsbest said:
United employees probably aren't thrilled about TED, because I would expect lower labor costs in that division. Does United now purchase U to bring TED to the east?
Actually, TED is getting mixed reviews by the UAL employees. From what I've heard on the line, it is more neutral or positive than negative.

As for labor costs, it is the same throughout UAL. TED will only be different from a marketing point of view. UAL enjoys the same low labor cost on all fleets, not just TED. For example, when a pilot straps on an A320, the only difference to him is the number of seats behind him.

Bringing TED east will depend on how well it does against Frontier. UAL does not need to purchase U to bring it east. However, if something is for sale at a good price after UAL emerges, it brings up an interesting thought.

MDA is going to be our response. But that is not really a new idea. The only thing going for us is the EMB 170/175 will be a lot different than the smaller RJs. I just hope we can differeniate them in the market, like with IFE on longer flights, free food, or something...

With the delays in the EMB 170 cert, we are losing valuable time!!

Back