What is your solution?

CSSUP

Aug 20, 2002
ALPA is angry, I understand. But do they have a solution to the pension problem that is acceptable to the court? If so I would love to know.
All I see is the shouting going on about the pension. But what would Dave have to do to solve the pension funding? Where and how is he to get the money? And don''t say the Congress. They seem to think it is our problem to solve.
Pilots please tell me, what would you do if you were Dave?

QUARTERBACK SNEAK...TACKLE ELIGIBLE

I'm wearing my flak vest.

It seems like both sides need something they don't have. Time. From what I've been reading, the problem with defined benefit plans is low interest rates and a lousy stock market, which some experts say is very unusual.

What if ALL groups at U with defined benefit (including management) plans took a TEMPORARY 10% cut in benefits? After the funds reached an agreed upon funding level, which would include contributions & hopefully better returns, the plans would snap back to the original level of benefits. Those that retire during the reducion period, would be made whole for the amount they lost. Even the reduced benefits should be better than what you could get from the PBGC.

I'll leave it to the lawyers and bean counters to work out the numbers and conditions for snap back.

I don't think a 10% cut in benefits will put a dent in the $3.1 billion dollar pension problem. The pilot's either play ball or take everyone down with them. Not arguing with you just stating the facts. Savy

The question was: What is the solution? Here is the answer:

Dave only has to commit to the pilots that our pension BENEFITS will be no LESS than what he agreed to in LOA 84. Regardless of whether some comes from the PBGC and some from the company. And basically that benefit is very simple. We have earned and will be paid a pension benefit of 50% of our FAE. He agreed to it in December. He has no reason NOT to agree to it now. If it worked then. It must work now. Nothing has changed over that time period. That is how you solve this problem. It's very simple. He lives up to his committment and the problem is solved.

mr

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/27/2003 12:49:31 AM PineyBob wrote:

On 1/26/2003 8:08:06 PM Cory wrote:
I'm wearing my flak vest.

It seems like both sides need something they don't have. Time. ----------------

Time is indeed the problem from about 6 different directions. Time is needed to:

1. Address the pension issue in Congress on an industry wides basis
2. For the Stock Market to rebound!
3. For the economy to recover!
4. Defeat Iraq on the battlefield
5. allow consumers to regain confidence in the airlines
6. resolve the TSA and other security issues.

None of these issues are under the control of US Airways Group, Dr. Bronner or the ALPA. What is under control of the interested parties is the ability to negotiate a successful compromise that will allow the company to emerge from BK and move forward agressively to rebuild the franchise. NO one would or should get all they want. That's what compromise is. Drawing lines in the sand on either side serve no purpose. ALPA has the most to lose and the most to gain in this situation and I strongly suggest that they consider their actions wisely for the most importantly themselves and their coworkers lest they find themselve at the helm of a Beech 1900D in West Bumble Butt! Their are a finite number of pilot jobs out there and that number is shrinking. If US goes down the number of jobs decreases by 4,000. And if memory serves me the going rate for a starting F/O on a Beech is like $20,000? Which I believe is less than the PBGC minimum. Final word

THINK

----------------
[/blockquote]
PineyBob,

How about changing Item 4 to "No war with Iraq"? I think that would work much better. You think that US Airways is hurting now, throw a war in for good measure and see what happens. I remember the days of the Gulf War and working a 767 from CLT to LGW with 16 pax.

There is unrest in the forest, there is trouble with the trees,
For the Maples want more sunlight and the Oaks ignore their pleas.

The trouble with the Maples; and they're quite convinced they're right:
They say "The Oaks are just too lofty! And they grab up all the light."

But the Oaks can't help their feelings if they like how they are made.
And they wonder why the Maples can't be happy in their shade.

There is trouble in the forest and the creatures all have fled.
As the Maples cry: "Oppression!" and the Oaks just shake their heads.

So the Maples formed a union and demanded equal rights:
"The Oaks are just too greedy! We will make them give us light!"

And now there's no more opposition, for they passed a noble law.

And the trees are all kept equal with hatchet, ax and saw.

--Rush