Where is the flight attendant protection?

Twicebaked

Veteran
May 22, 2003
It seems that security measures are being raised EVERYWHERE but one place....in the cabins! TSA has about 4 or 5 times the people at the check points than before 9/11, the cockpits are being fitted with entryproof-bulletproof doors, and they are arming the pilots with guns. I just find it funny that everything is being heightened yet they are reducing the number of f/a''s in the cabin. One would think that the TSA and/or FAA would increase the minimum number of flilght attendants required for security reasons.

Does anyone know who we could contact to discuss this matter? It only seems logical.... once you are trapped in a flying tuna can at 33,000 feet, you are on your own. The less flight attendant''s you have the more vulnerable you become.

Sad (and unforgivable), isn''t it? The very first American to die from the attacks of 9/11 was an American Airlines flight attendant who had her throat slit in the first class galley. Yet she, nor her collegues are ever noted as being heroes (or victims). It''s as if their lives didn''t count at all.

We should staff our cabin with 3 or more hotties and a 300lb male wrestler from now on...In the name of security of course. That way our customers will be too distracted to take over the plane and I won''t have to shoot anyone....

----------------
On 5/23/2003 5:32:17 PM flyin2low wrote:

We should staff our cabin with 3 or more hotties and a 300lb male wrestler from now on...In the name of security of course. That way our customers will be too distracted to take over the plane and I won''t have to shoot anyone....

----------------​

With 40 virgins waiting on the other side ready to feed them honeyed cakes, I''m not sure "3 hotties" will be enough.

----------------
On 5/23/2003 5:32:17 PM flyin2low wrote:

----------------
Although I am all for the 3 hotties (we do have some), I am being serious. As the second post stated the very FIRST person to get their throat slashed was a flight attendant. Please don''t take this serious thread in that direction.

Please remember one of our pilot''s wives was one of them. She also used to be a US Air flight attendant. Let''s be a bit more sensitive. You don''t know who is reading these things. Thanks​

Without going into too much detail, our "self-protection" training during my last recurrent session was a joke. They wouldn''t even call it self-defense...they corrected anyone who did. If the FAA really gave a damn we would at least be taught how to get someone in a headlock or something. Of course, having a seperate training program would cost $$$. One of the recurrent instructors told me that having more than a 15 minute module added to recurrent would require keeping flight attendants in a hotel overnight as it would run into a second day. The company didn''t want to spend the money...and sad but true, many flight attendants would have bitched about it running into a second day as well.

It''s just the way it is and I''ll get my own training when I have the money...but it''s a sin how the cabin crew is left to fend for themselves. I have mixed feelings about this whole "f/a certification" thing...I worry that the few lousy stews will become even worse...but maybe if it happens we''ll at least get some useful training.

Latest posts