Who I think really saved TULE !

bigjets

Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
I believe it was Tulsa area leaders and the Tulsa Regional Chamber who had more to do with saving TUL then the TWU, that's my opinion.

Elected officials from the Tulsa area and leaders of the Tulsa Regional Chamber gathered Friday to express support for the proposed American Airlines Group Inc. and find what they can do to preserve, or even expand, American's local maintenance base.
Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=585&articleid=20130216_54_E1_Themer939728

"I really think that the Tulsa maintenance base was one of the major reasons US Airways wanted American Airlines," Cirri said.
Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=585&articleid=20130216_54_E1_Themer939728

Maybe one of the dumbest things I ever heard, US airways didn't care about the route structure, AAdvantage program, the new jets on order, international routes, etc, etc, they wanted a heavy maint base, even though they have their own in Pittsburgh, and I would be willing to bet their mechs are as good as TULE mechs.

What makes you think that Tulsa was saved?

They didnt have any place to send NB OH. "Capacity (for NB OH) was tight" they admitted during negotiations. They could not have closed Tulsa yet anyway and there is nothing guaranteeing that as the MD-80s go away that Tulsa will not fade away with them. We gave them six years to get rid of the MD-80s and all the jobs that go with them. The new fleet wont be generating enough OH to save jobs in Tulsa until well into the next decade and possobly several contracts away.

The contract becomes amendable in 2018, by then most of the MD-80s will be gone. AA will have the newest fleet in the industry. The Line will be the majority, do you think the line will accept bottom of the industry pay to insure that when the new planes need OH that they will restore Tulsa's diminished headcount?

The 35% outsourcing gives AA all it needed to shrink Tulsa, the majority of the work that dissapears, therfore does not even count against outsourcing but does eliminate jobs, will be in OH.

Tulsa was not saved-it was condemned.

Reactions: 5 people
What makes you think that Tulsa was saved?

They didnt have any place to send NB OH. "Capacity (for NB OH) was tight" they admitted during negotiations. They could not have closed Tulsa yet anyway and there is nothing guaranteeing that as the MD-80s go away that Tulsa will not fade away with them. We gave them six years to get rid of the MD-80s and all the jobs that go with them. The new fleet wont be generating enough OH to save jobs in Tulsa until well into the next decade and possobly several contracts away.

The contract becomes amendable in 2018, by then most of the MD-80s will be gone. AA will have the newest fleet in the industry. The Line will be the majority, do you think the line will accept bottom of the industry pay to insure that when the new planes need OH that they will restore Tulsa's diminished headcount?

The 35% outsourcing gives AA all it needed to shrink Tulsa, the majority of the work that dissapears, therfore does not even count against outsourcing but does eliminate jobs, will be in OH.

Tulsa was not saved-it was condemned.

been saying that ever since Tulsa voted this contract in. its a reprieve not a saving. come back in five years and see what remains in Tulsa.......

been saying that ever since Tulsa voted this contract in. its a reprieve not a saving. come back in five years and see what remains in Tulsa.......

Bob this is for you too. And this is not a smart a$$ question. Do you guys really think the co. is willing to get rid of Tulsa? The way I see it (as an outsider) the co always get's what they want from the Tulsa yes votes, do you really think they are willing to lose that? I do see your point that the company will be able to reduce the amount of maint they do at Tulsa.

With the new events at AA and US Airways at the helm. Who knows what the new leadership will do with Tulsa. This is a whole new airline, or will be.

Tulsa was "saved" due to the need of the company and for no other reason. It takes time for the Mexican and Central American interests to get facilities built to handle the additional workload or, barring that, for Scarebus and Boeing to acquire the necessary facilities in the USA. Tulsa's Chamber of Horrors and Dippy Dewey Boobylette are trying to take credit for something they had no influence in. Byhaps this is what's in store for the Tulsa base.

Trust me, boys and girls - actually having to do something while at WORK (rather than Work being optional, should a company interested in making a profit take over the base) makes the shift go faster and leaves one with a rather good feeling about one's self at the end of the day and renews the sense of pride a person takes in their job.

Say what you wish and (attempt to) insult me all you wish for my comment and attitude. Life is not all about aircraft. Almost all at the TULE base can do better for themselves if they can get over the fear of change.

I'll be thinking about you boys and girls while I'm off on President's Day.

Reactions: 1 person
Bob this is for you too. And this is not a smart a$$ question. Do you guys really think the co. is willing to get rid of Tulsa? The way I see it (as an outsider) the co always get's what they want from the Tulsa yes votes, do you really think they are willing to lose that? I do see your point that the company will be able to reduce the amount of maint they do at Tulsa.

jim rheem was brought in for one reason and one reason only and that is to gut aa maintenance program and tulsa is in his sights. he was successful with MCI and AFW, tulsa is next. if they find someone to do the narrow bodies tulsa is history just like the rest.

so yes the answer to your question is that rheem would dump tulsa in a new york minute if it improves his exit bonus.

Tulsa was "saved" due to the need of the company and for no other reason. It takes time for the Mexican and Central American interests to get facilities built to handle the additional workload or, barring that, for Scarebus and Boeing to acquire the necessary facilities in the USA. Tulsa's Chamber of Horrors and Dippy Dewey Boobylette are trying to take credit for something they had no influence in. Byhaps this is what's in store for the Tulsa base.

Trust me, boys and girls - actually having to do something while at WORK (rather than Work being optional, should a company interested in making a profit take over the base) makes the shift go faster and leaves one with a rather good feeling about one's self at the end of the day and renews the sense of pride a person takes in their job.

Say what you wish and (attempt to) insult me all you wish for my comment and attitude. Life is not all about aircraft. Almost all at the TULE base can do better for themselves if they can get over the fear of change.

I'll be thinking about you boys and girls while I'm off on President's Day.

lighten up francis,

"I really think that the Tulsa maintenance base was one of the major reasons US Airways wanted American Airlines," Cirri said.
Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworl...E1_Themer939728

Maybe one of the dumbest things I ever heard,

I actually think it is one of the more accurate things that Siri has ever said, and I confirmed it with my kids iphone.

Sam to Siri: Why would USairways want American Airlines?

Siri to Siri: Because Sam, as you know, Tulsa is willing to work for less at the expense of others.

Sam to Siri: Can you tell me more Siri?

Siri to Sam: Certainly Sam, Tulsa voted for a contract by nearly 80% that dragged down wages and benefits across the system and threatens to do the same at other airlines.

Pilot supply will become critical over the next few years and fuel will remain expensive, (why install winglets if you are going to ferry the plane around for maintenance) I believe these two factors will drive the aircraft market more towards larger planes, and maintenance towards more point of service maintenance. With pilot supply becoming critical why waste two pilots essentailly ferrying a money losing flight to Tulsa when you can use them somewhere else? It makes more sense to build in DFW than to ferry (even if they do sell a few seats) a flight to Tulsa and waste two valuable resources doing so.

Building up DFW, where all the planes end up anyway simply is a more efficient use of pilots, fuel and the aircraft, even if they get Tulsa for free. The fuel and pilots needed to get the planes there isnt free.

United is building a new Hanger in EWR, they already had one, Jet Blue built one in JFK and AA is in discussions to build a new one in LGA. These are probably three of the most expensive airports in the country as far as real estate. (AA is also getting a refurbished hangar in BOS) This goes to show that trying to do the work where the planes end up is operationally more sensible than ferrying a flight. With the new language they can ferry those aircraft just as easily to Mexico as to Oklahoma. .

You may argue that Tulsa allows them to keep wages on the line low, but if you go too low your performance will suffer. You will not be able to retain talent in critical markets and premium customers will go to competitors.

The company went too low. Management on the line knows it, and I'm sure the info has gone upstream. While not yet a flood, a trickle, that never existed before is growing, they are losing guys faster than they can replace them. In New York we have guys who put in for the Early out but the company will not release them, their $40k buyout is being held hostage.

In 2010 the company offered an extra $2.00 an hour for the line. The deal was rejected-primarily by a very large NO vote from Tulsa. When they presented the offer Jim Ream said that they realized they were below market rate for Line maintenance but they felt they were above market rate for OH and the $2 was to bring the line more in line with the industry. Thats what he said, not me.

In 2012 Jim Ream once again came in and proposed adding 50 cents to the line, Tulsa objected, said the line cant get a penny more than Tulsa. Tulsa said they were willing to look at Regional pay but the company was not.

When the TA was rammed through with a Roll call vote by Tulsa and Title II Ream went to line stations telling the line guys that they needed to vote this in because it would allow the company to outsource enough so Tulsa (and Title II) would no longer be the majority. Managers went around saying the same thing.

So the company tried to address the fact that they were not paying enough to the line. So in this case they did not get what they wanted. They tried in 2010, they tried in BK but both times it was blocked by Tulsa. I'm OK with that, neither offer was acceptable but what I'm not OK with is Tulsas acceptance of what they ended up accepting. What they accepted exposes the fact that Tulsa as a whole buys into the arguement that their wages have to be set up to compete with MROs, which I think the company is happy with, but Tulsa resistance to allow the company to offer market rates for line maintenance could become a liability, if it hasnt already.

Informer tries to absolve Tulsa because they were threatened, thats Bull, we were threatened that if we pushed for Regional pay they would move the work out of high cost areas but we still pushed for it. What do they think this is? Why wouldnt they expect threats, thats par for the course?

So will Tulsa diminish, yes, even the International admits that they agreed to that. Will Tulsa recover after 2018 when the new aircraft start needing OH? Probably not, unless fuel becomes cheap and pilots become plentiful. Like I said if they are going to ferry the plane then why not ferry it to Mexico. If they are going to pay the mechanics in Tulsa as much as they pay the mechanics in DFW then why move the plane? Another factor is will the majority line mechanics be willing to continue to accept bottom of the industry pay so they can expand and hire people and return Tulsa to its majority status? NO.

I supose there may come a point where there isnt enough work to justify a remote OH facility and if those two factors, high fuel and a shortage of pilots remain that point may come sooner rather than later.

This may sound like I'm bashing Tulsa, but I'm not, just calling as I see it. As my members know, I say to them that if you were in their position earning what they earn where costs are where they are wouldnt you likely do the same? The question is should we just accept thats the way it is? The fault really lies with the ATD, who have sold the idea that our wages must compete with Timco to Tulsa and that we are not worth what mechanics at other carriers got and this is the only way to save jobs. They are doing whats best for their revenue stream and the company. By offering the company such below market labor costs it helps to insure that the company will hire more people and maintain the dues flow that helps pay their six figure salaries. They act as if we have no Union and we can not negotiate, that we have to choose between the options the company offers, either give concessions or lose jobs, and we cant say "none of the above".

Reactions: 3 people
IMO Tulsa has served their purpose to AA. They have sentenced the AMT to the lowest wages and benefits in the industry until at least 2018. Parker has given Tulsa 2 year furlow protection which tells me that AA will be looking for places to send all the work that Tulsa does somewhere else. The TWU and AA management will threaten TULE with loss of jobs unless we can do it cheaper than anyone else on the planet. Quality does not matter to them. Our components we overhaul here consistantly out perform everyone else's in the industry. Some of them get more than double the time in service between overhauls than anyone else. This does not matter to the top dogs. They will look to get it done cheaper. We can't compete with third world countries when it comes to wages. Although AA has the AMT benefit package right on par with third world labor, the pay is still higher. For some reason they seem willing to pay an AMT a higher wage for working line maint. where the majority of the work done is tire and brake changes. (Not trying to knock line guys) Funny how a guy who builds a landing gear from scratch or does major structural repairs is seen as a lower class AMT. But that is the way we are headed. My only hope is when all the maint. is gone from the U.S. the FAA will have to either lay off all their inspectors or start sending them outside the country to actually look at these facilities that are doing all the aircraft overhauls. The biggest problem AA will have once Tulsa is gone though is that they will have to find someone else to take all the urine tests for the mechanics and pilots work groups.

Thanks old guy, you sound like a FA complaining about a cabin item placard. 600 airplanes flying 12 hours a day, and all we do is Ts and Bs. Thanks for the support.

That's like saying all the FAs do is pass out drinks, or all the pilots do is sit there and watch the autopilot.

Reactions: 1 person