Why do you like/prefer AA?

"Garfield,"

I spend a lot of time on the AA boards, so I am aware of what you're referring to. I see the same on the NWA boards, etc. I also watched the recent CNBC documentary and it's clear that AA is challenged with many issues in the industry.

I don't think there's a single company in the world that is 'perfect'. Everyone will have concerns because of the nature of doing business (profitability, manageability, etc.)

I cannot say that I fully agree with some of the practices in the airline industry, but as a consumer, I've noticed the "front line" of carriers to be quite strong. Of course, there's the occasional F/A, door agent, etc. that might be having a bad day, but I haven't really seen anything dramatic.

Well, thanks for sharing!

I work here so the fact that they pay my salary makes me a bit biased. For the most part I like the people who I have worked with. I have friends who I have known for nearly 20 years since I started out with AA.

I don’t think you will get what you are looking for (case in point see the post above) since most of the folks who frequent this board are employees of one airline or another. I cannot evaluate AA the way I would evaluate the service of say my car dealer or such.

As someone who helps pay my salary, I am glad that you have had a good experience with AA and I hope that trend continues.

Our dirty laundry is not something you need to be concerned about.

You love the MD-80? lol I would at least say I love FC in the 777. Or my personal favorite, the TWA 757.

Yes, I do. :) A 737 is a very close second. I haven't been lucky enough yet to catch a 777. I'm sure I'd love that a lot. I've been on a 757, and that isn't bad. There's just something about the MD-80 though. I've always had pleasant flights on 'em.

I agree wholeheartedly! The professionalism is apparent everytime. However, there's no better fun than being on a Southwest flight! (They're my #2 ... flown 'em a lot as well). I recall a flight last Christmas to visit family in Michigan from Denver on AA, and the "humor" wasn't working for the flight! Just keep it professional! :)

I've worked for other carriers and have a familyh member with almost 40 years at AA. I now fly on business occasionally and also travel for personal reasons (more often than business). My company puts me on UA typically with AA spliced in there occasionally. For me, AA just seems to have a "cleaner" experience overall. The boarding process, the look of the terminal, the interiors, the staff on the plane. It all looks more professional. UA has certain nice parts, but their interiors like like they've been around the block a few times. Delta is getting better, but just doesn't have the staff professionalism AA has. I don't fly CO often (almst never) but would if I could...I find them equal or better than AA.

NOTHING, AA SUCKS. Just look how they treat the employees.....and RETIREES

Hey Carl, Shut the F@ck up already.

We get it, you don't like AA.

You're retired, take up a hobby or something.

It would be a goddamn shame if you stroked out at the keyboard while banging out an AA sucks rant wouldn't it?

I know I'd be heartbroken to hear of your passing you bitter old f@ck...

As a former AA employee(retired-Thank God), my #1 reason for "liking" AA was JOB SECURITY !

(Allow me to "expound")

Despite A VERY large portion of Inept middle management, and a TOTALLY WORTHLESS (in name only) Union (Twu),AA is a SURVIVOR.

Due Largely in part, to CEO's named Smith, Casey, and particuliarly Robert L. (uncle BOBBY) Crandall, AA has possessed "streaks" of (uncanny) Good Fortune.

I've said many, many times, that if the US commercial aviation Industry was "reduced" to only one carrier, THAT carrier would be American Airlines !

Mabey It's the NAME ?

I hope that helps....Ronald !

NH/BB's

no problem, I just do not like AA, never have, never will.
Had you ever worked for an airline like Ozark or TWA, you would understand my feelings.

It would be a goddamn shame if you stroked out at the keyboard while banging out an AA sucks rant wouldn't it?

First, why I won't fly US or DL:
As the spouse of a former Useless Airways employee, I will NEVER fly them because of how they f*cked over their employees (and provide inferior service to their customers). Strange that AA can do the right thing when they fired Carty for making out like a bandit with his pension while cutting bennies of the average AA employee. But at US, Wolf and Gangwal can get fantastic salaries and bonuses for truly horrendous mismanagement while raping the workforce (and never get fired...just eventually leave the company with even more bonuses and severance benefits).

At DL, where I was a low level elite FF (Silver Medallion), I was never able to get upgrades because of the low fares I usually got. They restricted UPGs to the higher fares and even restricted upgrades the day of the flight for any paying passenger but had no trouble putting non-revs in first. Then they say if you're flying on a cheap fare (L, U or T), you only get half credit towards elite status (which cost the company virtually nothing for Silver Medallions). Then they have the absolute nerve to call these FF benefit reductions "enhancements"!! My biggest complaint with DL however, was the near impossibility of getting Skysaver award flights. They run television commercials showing a Delta FF parasailing in Hawaii, which she got to using her FF miles. What BS. I could never get an award flight to Hawaii with them even 331 days out.

However with AA, I get very frequent upgrades and award flights are numerous I've been to Hawaii several times using AAdvantage miles. AA employees are generally great, though as with any company, you sometimes have indifferent, even bad employees. I realize that ex-TWA types have real problems with AA. I'd probably feel the same way, though one AA FA once told me that the ex-TWA employees still with AA are "lucky to have a job" and had real comtempt for those complainers. Personally, I can see the points of both camps, though I would tend to side with AA.

For those AA employees who complain about benefit and pay reductions, you should talk to any current or former US employee to realize how great you have it relative to those screwed over by US management!

<_< ----- Now! Now! Now! LGA! Just because Carl may be a little better, doesn't mean you have to be!--- :p And such language? You may give our inquisitive guest the wrong impression about nAAtive aaers, and New Yorkers!!! :p ----- Nor-easter! You from New York also?---It shows! ;)

<_< ---- Let me explan for Mr. ronald! There are some who feel they were treated poorly durring the aa/TWA merger/buyout! Then there are others, that don't want to be reminded of it!-- ;)

Amen, brothers, amen - truer words were never posted. The MD-11 was awesome for its day!

And I still prefer the 2-seat port side of a MadDog in Coach over a 737. As PLT, I can usually score an exit row while hoping for an UG. My IFE is always reading so I don't miss electronics.

I agree. I still prefer the MD-80 over the 737. More overhead bin space per passenger is another benefit of the MD-80. I also like the 5-across seating (it seems less crowded to me).

<_< ---- Mr. Lewis, You wouldn't happen to work for one of those high dollar consulting firms that aa has hired do you? Just curious as to why all the interest in aa?---- ;) The questions you ask seem to be, shall we say "leading!"

Two or three years ago, you might have had a few more customers around to respond. They got eventually tired of all the infighting and returned to FlyerTalk and other venues where customers outnumber employees 10 to 1.

I'm a customer now, but equally biased as a former employee.

All of my FF miles are on AA, they are the only carrier where I live that has nonstops to Chicago (where most of my family is), and the Admirals Club makes all the other hassles associated with AA worthwhile.

But the MD80?... Please. Give me a 737 anyday on a narrowbody, and the 777 internationally. Our company prefers booking on Delta, but given a choice between a 767 and the 777, I'll go out of my way to fly on AA.

I too am a former AA'er, so I am a biased. Most of my flying is on BA (about 35 flights a year), but I prefer AA on transatlantic when flying Coach (5 or 6 times) as I prefer the 2-5-2 configuration for their 777's. I can't say the food, lounge or employees are selling points for me as I have found AA has deteriorated over the past couple of years. But the planes are nice and the overall process professionally executed.

Latest posts

Back