Why Dont We Sell All Connections?

tadjr

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
TPA
www.airlineforums.com
I've noticed that there are many flight connection opportunities that dont come up in the computer system unless you force them. I realize that inventory and marketing are trying to "route" people through cities where they think they want to connect, but I'm sure we miss out on customers when "the way we want you to go" is sold out, while the other route is wide open. ie If you pull up TPA-TYS/RDU/GSO/RIC, etc it will only offer via CLT which is good since that is usually the best connection, but there are possibilities via PIT for the same connections. I realize they might be trying to dissuade connections in PIT for the $9 vs $2, but when the flights are full via CLT and the other option offered is DL via ATL or CVG, how much is that helping US? Wouldnt it be better to offer ALL connections on US before we start showing the other airlines flights in availability? And while CLT is obviously the best connection for flight times on US, DL offers conx showing via CVG to many of these same cities if you ask for DL only so the out of the way connection excuse is bogus. Seems like we are losing out on some money here when we should be offering ALL flights US has to offer.

Good point! The routing rules were probably written years ago when a CLT connection almost always had seats available on some flight around your desired time.

When Delta started codesharing with NW and CO, they added the NW and CO hubs to routings that could reasonably include them (e.g., TPA-STL via CLE, DTW, MSP and MEM in addition to Delta's ATL and CVG).

Now that US is considerably smaller, they should definitely add PIT and PHL to all their routings -- sort of like starting a new code-share with your new post-Chapter 11 self. :)

FWIW, this seems to only happen in US's own systems (thru res and via usairways.com). Our corporate booking tool ALWAYS comes up with connections that US never tells me about. I've seen "connections" in BUF, IND, GSP and RDU all come up for various itineraries, yet US never would display such a routing. And, with the UA codeshare, even more bizarre routings often come up.

USFlyer said:
FWIW, this seems to only happen in US's own systems (thru res and via usairways.com). Our corporate booking tool ALWAYS comes up with connections that US never tells me about. I've seen "connections" in BUF, IND, GSP and RDU all come up for various itineraries, yet US never would display such a routing. And, with the UA codeshare, even more bizarre routings often come up.
This has nothing to do with the distribution channel. If you are buying a US ticket between TPA and TYS with a PIT connection, you are not buying a TPA-TYS fare. You are buying a TPA-PIT fare and a PIT-TYS fare (end-on-end).

Occasionally this is cheaper than the single fare, and it is more likely to happen when availibility is tight or you have trouble meeting restrictions.

The issue is that for a TPA-TYS fare, PIT is not in the routing, so the only way to connect in PIT is to buy two fares. One advantage of doing this is that you essentially get a free stopover in PIT of unlimited duration. :)

Interesting, thanks for clarifying that. I mentioned several weeks ago that US was having a PHL-SEA-PHL F fare sale. Ironically, booking M DCA-PHL, F PHL-SEA, F SEA-PHL and M PHL-DCA was CHEAPER than booking B DCA-SEA-DCA (which is how my tickets used to price out). I guess this explains how the system priced the tickets then.

A few questions, tho: If I'm essentially "buying" two fares, how does the system know upon check-in that I'm actually making a connection and not a stopover? Also, for DOT reporting purposes, am I then treated as O&D traffic in the connecting city since I "bought" two separate fares?

USFlyer said:
A few questions, tho: If I'm essentially "buying" two fares, how does the system know upon check-in that I'm actually making a connection and not a stopover?
As long as the booking is in the same reservation and in the correct order of flights, the system considers anything less than 4 hours as a connection and will check you in as a thru customer. There are also some international connections that come up as thru even though it is longer, although sometimes a forced connection on baggage is required to check it thru to the final destination. I have even seen it check people in and return from the same city when they are flying up and back the same day. Got a bag tag checked back to TPA as the final destination. :p
Recently I have seen many people with some odd routings come up on last minute bookings. ie ORF-CLT-TPA on US conx to NW to DTW and the same on the return. He booked it two days in advance this way and both carriers were having specials vs the fare ORF-DTW walkup on anyone. He saved about $400 doing this and was checked in all the way thru since he was booked using 1 ticket number, even though he paid two separate fares.

USFlyer said:
If you keep asking the airways website for "more flight options," you can get some tryly silly routings.

PIT-RIC-CLT-ATL. PIT-PHL-GSO-CLT-TPA. The list goes on.

If you keep asking the airways website for "more flight options," you can get some tryly silly routings.

PIT-RIC-CLT-ATL. PIT-PHL-GSO-CLT-TPA. The list goes on.

Great for those of us who look for segment flights :)

I just wish it was easier to find those.

But why show me connections through ORD/DEN instead of CLT/PIT connection first. I rather fly U metal any day of the week of UAL

Really the question should be..

Why don't we sell U before UA in availibility screens. With SABRE. it takes sometimes up to 8 pages before you see U flights......Way to go David...They need to fire you...immediately....

Just my humble opinion...