Why Is Asia American Airlines' Achilles Heel?

can you find a thread that says that, robbed?

Did you miss the part about DL and UA having no expectations that AA will roll over and let DL or UA grow in Latin America?

It strikes me as more than odd that some here seem so quick to tout AA's strength in Latin America and are so quick to tell us how small other carriers are in comparison to AA but can't comprehend that the same principle applies equally to AA in Asia/Pacific.

Asia is not AA's strength market because they didn't spend the money to buy one of the two legacy Asia/Pacific route systems that trace their way back to WWII and have been further developed even if they have been passed among several airlines.

Conversely, AA's strength in Latin America does come because it bought EA's Latin America system which goes back to BN and which AA has very carefully developed over the years.

The two realities are very much connected whether some can see it or not.

The second clear reality is that Parker has little tolerance for sustained losses and that he also was chosen to merge AA and US because AA and US both provide resources that can make AA work in Asia, something AA has not been able to do on its own and which there is no reason to believe would occur now without US. US' network is just as likely to be considered as a viable base for Asia operations than AA's, precisely because AA has not built a profitable Asian route system with its network.

FWAAA said:
Your lack of acceptance here and elsewhere isn't because you post facts with which people disagree.   It's not the content - it's the manner of presentation.   [/size][/background][background=#f7f7f7] [/background]
Bingo.

eolesen said:
If only I could double-like this statement...

It's not the message, it's the delivery.

Same here.

WorldTraveler said:
of course it is always the delivery.

No, it is going after the delivery because you can't argue the facts - or not win.
Nope, it's the delivery...

A little less self-righteousness would go a long way...

again, not unexpected since you don't like the message.

acknowledging that someone else might be right would go a long ways toward bringing reciprocal peace.

To be fair, some people have dramatically improved their way of relating to others on here.... and I do acknowledge it.

In this case, I can't let comments about what how some people saw Parker go as long as some people can't acknowledge that he just might do a better job of running AA's Pacific strategies than AA managers have done over the past half decade at least.

Parker wasn't my first choice but he is the CEO now and he does have a track record of turning unprofitable operations around; whether they are strategies that some of us would select or not is secondary to the fact that he he has turned around some money-losing airline projects.

robbed,
if you and Kev expected a group think exercise, you should have locked the site and let no one in.

I never signed up to pat anyone on the back just because they are here. If they are right, then I will acknowledge that... and I have.

If they're wrong, I have no problem calling them out... no matter how uncomfortable it is to you.

it's not about my self-righteousness, it is those who are incapable of admitting that someone else might be wrong and actually apologize.

I apologized to you today.... saw nothing from you in return.... but that is par for the course.

In fact, I have NEVER seen an apology from you. If I have missed it, I would SO GLAD to admit I was wrong.

BTW< AA's Achilles heel seem like nothing more than a toenail that needs to be clipped in comparison with the inability of those who cannot admit someone else is right or offer an apology.

It's about being able to deliver your ideas in a manner which is not only effective, but foster discussion.

Nobody else on this site seems to struggle with that notion quite like you do. No one is as quick to blame everyone else, either.

Food for thought...

and the discussion fostered on the topic of AA in Asia by the above comments is ___________________?

(looks like I found and kicked a few Achilles heels tonite)

Tell me why I care about fostering a discussion with you (take your pick which one of you). Really.

Tell me where I said that I wanted to deliver my message effectively. Really.

Tell us why its sooo wrong for aa to add asia flights from their hubs or focus cities buts its straight up a ok for delta to do the same? U have no problem calling people out when their wrong but when people call u out u deflect u dont admit ur wrong whats wrog with that picture?

Glenn thats about as perfect sense as it gets!

It must not be very effective if so many people seem to question the manner in how messages are delivered...

your definition of effective might very well be quite different from mine. I have people talking about what I write, debating my points, and saying that they know what I have written before.... sounds to me that I am effective.

I have raised issues about AA's strategy in Asia because they are the only carrier that continues to lose money in any region of their network on a year round basis. No other carrier is doing the same thing.

UA is adding service to Asia and we aren't talking about that.

AA and DL are adding service to Latin America and we aren't talking about that.

US is adding service to Europe.....

... in each of those latter cases and more, those carriers have managed to make their operations profitable and are building on their networks from a position of strength.

AA continues to build on its Asia network which is losing money and is adding flights while existing ones in similar markets such as LAX-Asia don't come close to generating the kind of revenue that UA and DL get from their SFO and SEA hubs, even on flights that have been started a lot more recently than AA's LAX-Asia flights.

My contention is and will remain that AA cannot build a profitable Asian network from the most competitive and largest cities in the US using its own aircraft.

DL and UA don't have a problem admitting that they cannot profitably fly MIA to Latin America at this time (or they haven't been willing to try) and yet AA thinks they can fly LAX and ORD to Asia up against both US and Asian airlines that are far larger in the region and which are making money flying the Pacific.

If AA is going to be profitable flying to Asia from the US, they are going to have to build a network built around less competitive markets where AA has a better chance of competing.

The nerve of AA, thinking they should try to compete from their existing hubs........

You should email Doug Parker with that treatise immediately. I'm sure he'll get right on it. It will probably be better received at CP5 than it has been here.

Latest posts

Back