Will AA Mechanics be Next?

RV4 - I'm only looking at today. Right now, it doesn't matter if Christ himself represents you guys, there isn't anything that a particular union can do better than any other...for TODAY. Tomorrow is another question.

KC, it's not a question of "feeling good" about your union. It's a matter of being in a union RUN by and GOVERNED by mechanics. That's all. No one is saying that we are going to be exempt from the AX and downward industry and economic trends. We have been a minority in the TWU since inception. It is fact that in the past, mechanics had been offered higher percentage increases than fleet service in tentative agreements. Naturally, those agreements were voted down because mechanics were and still are a minority. Our wonderful TWU renegotiated DOWN our increase to UP those of fleet service. Heck! They even balked at increases on our LICENSES! Our first step to independence from the TWU was voting for our own locals and separate negotiations. The next step is voting for a union with mainly mechanics' interests in mind.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/25/2003 9:22:45 AM KCFlyer wrote:
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]You know, NHBB has one view that is what I believe the one that should be seriously looked at - offer an early out to trim costs from the top down, instead of cutting so much from the lower end of the scale that it's more appealing for the younger guys to fix cars instead of planes.[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]There will be an early out alright.[BR][BR]When the wage concessions are implemented, the retirement based on last four years average will go down every day the old timer works under the new pay scale.[BR][BR]Cars versus Airplanes appealing?[BR][BR]Might be the entry level pay is appealing. You even get that pay without having to work Hoidays and Weekends![BR][BR]The MECHANICS would be better off in a MECHANICS UNION!!!!!!![/P]

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/25/2003 9:33:01 AM AAmech wrote:
[P]High Class problems are things like worrying about union representation while working for great company and making top $ while doing it. Real problems are what is occuring at US and UAL right now (and what could end up happening at AA). Wheather you will have a job or not and how far your pay is going to fall[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]If you are talking about Southwest, you best go read their contract and payscale before claiming they make top $.

[BR][BR][BR][BR][BR]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/25/2003 9:40:56 AM KCFlyer wrote: [BR][BR]AA mechanics...I am wrong. Vote in AMFA and your problems are solved. YOu'll have that "warm fuzzy" feeling of having your own union represent you. Trouble is, right now,it's like you're in a Chevy that's out of gas. Voting in the AMFA and that warm fuzzy feeling will be like sitting in a Cadillac that is out of gas. It feels nicer, but you're still not going anywhere. ----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE][BR][BR]Maybe I am wrong.[BR][BR]Stick with the TWU and be dominated by Bus Drivers, Fleet Service Clerks, and allow your dues extorted paycheck to be sent the AFL-CIO backed politicians that stab you in the back. Your airline industry and company problems will be the same and you will surely have no influence on your fate in a majority rule union.[BR][BR]Instead of being in the Cadillac or Chevy without gas, you can hitch a ride to work from a non-union, concerned for the company, alias poster who has more insight into your best interest than anyone on the planet.[BR][BR]KCFlyer, what are you driving, do you have gas, do you feel warm and fuzzy, and can we get a ride to work?

AA mechanics...I am wrong. Vote in AMFA and your problems are solved. YOu'll have that "warm fuzzy" feeling of having your own union represent you. Trouble is, right now,it's like you're in a Chevy that's out of gas. Voting in the AMFA and that warm fuzzy feeling will be like sitting in a Cadillac that is out of gas. It feels nicer, but you're still not going anywhere.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/25/2003 10:02:30 AM Hopeful wrote:

KC, it's not a question of "feeling good" about your union. It's a matter of being in a union RUN by and GOVERNED by mechanics. That's all. No one is saying that we are going to be exempt from the AX and downward industry and economic trends. We have been a minority in the TWU since inception. It is fact that in the past, mechanics had been offered higher percentage increases than fleet service in tentative agreements. Naturally, those agreements were voted down because mechanics were and still are a minority. Our wonderful TWU renegotiated DOWN our increase to UP those of fleet service. Heck! They even balked at increases on our LICENSES! Our first step to independence from the TWU was voting for our own locals and separate negotiations. The next step is voting for a union with mainly mechanics' interests in mind.
----------------
[/blockquote]

And I am one that thinks the AMT's should have their own union. But the point KCFlyer and others are trying to make is that NOW is not the time to worry about representation. There ain't enough time for a card drive and election. The d*mn ship is sinking and we need to start working together to right it. Then you can have your election and I hope you win.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/25/2003 9:33:01 AM AAmech wrote:

High Class problems are things like worrying about union representation while working for great company and making top $ while doing it. Real problems are what is occuring at US and UAL right now (and what could end up happening at AA). Wheather you will have a job or not and how far your pay is going to fall
----------------
[/blockquote]

Ok, I got it now. And I agree with you.

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/27/2003 2:47:16 AM rampguy wrote:[BR][BR]And I am one that thinks the AMT's should have their own union. But the point KCFlyer and others are trying to make is that NOW is not the time to worry about representation. There ain't enough time for a card drive and election. The d*mn ship is sinking and we need to start working together to right it. Then you can have your election and I hope you win.
[P][/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]Yeah, and when the AMFA drive was occurring at AA, it wasn't a good time to change unions because we were entering negotiations.[BR][BR]Exactly when is a good time to realize your union and its structure sucks and needs to be replaced?[/P]

Rampguy: NOW is the time to change representation!

I'll tell you why! Every contract since '83, the mechanics at AA have lost jobs either to an outside contractor or to TWU represented fleet service. What might happen at AA is that the TWU might once again sacrifice more mechanic's work and negotiate wages away from us as usual in order to save other jobs. That has been the trend for the last twenty years. So I think the time is right to change representation!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/27/2003 5:43:30 AM RV4 wrote:

[BLOCKQUOTE]
----------------
On 1/27/2003 2:47:16 AM rampguy wrote:

And I am one that thinks the AMT's should have their own union. But the point KCFlyer and others are trying to make is that NOW is not the time to worry about representation. There ain't enough time for a card drive and election. The d*mn ship is sinking and we need to start working together to right it. Then you can have your election and I hope you win.

[/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]

Yeah, and when the AMFA drive was occurring at AA, it wasn't a good time to change unions because we were entering negotiations.

Exactly when is a good time to realize your union and its structure sucks and needs to be replaced?[/P]
----------------
[/blockquote]

I already answered your question. Reread my post for it.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/27/2003 8:00:04 AM Hopeful wrote:

Rampguy: NOW is the time to change representation!

I'll tell you why! Every contract since '83, the mechanics at AA have lost jobs either to an outside contractor or to TWU represented fleet service. What might happen at AA is that the TWU might once again sacrifice more mechanic's work and negotiate wages away from us as usual in order to save other jobs. That has been the trend for the last twenty years. So I think the time is right to change representation!
----------------
[/blockquote]

well then by all means, have at it. Forget the problems at AA right now because they are minor compared to your gripes.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/28/2003 6:48:51 AM Hopeful wrote:

Rampguy, I believe the AMT's can walk and chew gum at the same time.
----------------
[/blockquote]

???????
I never said they couldn't. Where did you come up with that one?

Latest posts