Will It Be Pit Ornstein Speaks Of?

deltawatch

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Will PIT be the SOMEWHERE Ornstein speaks of? Makes sence.......

Question from The Street.Com to Ornstein a couple of months ago: With regional airlines growing so fast, it seems like we're at a tipping point within the commercial airline industry. How unique is the idea of a mega-regional, something smaller than hub and spoke, but much larger than your current size?

Answer from Jonathan Ornstein Mesa: You have regional jets that will continue to support hub operations and that will be very powerful. And the likelihood of becoming a super carrier? I mean, yeah, you could easily see us at $1 billion in revenue. If we were to implement all of the aircraft we have under option right now, we could be at $1.5 billion, $1.6 billion. I'd say that's a pretty big regional carrier.

Look at what Atlantic Coast is doing and, as I said in my conference call, I can't say I'm not a bit envious. I think they're taking a high-risk strategy, but at some point, I want to become large enough to be able to say I want my regional jets to feed my own hub SOMEWHERE. But you need those other narrow body, low-cost aircraft to make the rest of the hub work and run larger jets, the 737s, or the A320s.

I'm suprised Ornstein hasn't tried to take over USAirways already. I seem to be flying more and more of his RJ's out of PIT lately. Is he taking up more flying for US?? Gawd I hope not. I am tired of his crews and staff at PIT already. They are making mainline look horrible because people that don't fly every damn day of the year on US don't know the difference between mainline and express and how many different divisions of express there are.

AKA_trvlr64 said:
I am tired of his crews and staff at PIT already. They are making mainline look horrible because people that don't fly every damn day of the year on US don't know the difference between mainline and express and how many different divisions of express there are.
For someone who acts like they are in the "know" you don't seen to know what you are talking about. :down: Mesa has no "Staff" in PIT. Or for that matter at any of the U stations. I believe PIT is run by PSA (correct me if I'm wrong) PHL by ALG and CLT by PDT. All WO's run by Mainline.

Please give examples about what the "crews" of the Mesa Jets are doing that is so turning you off. I've been flying for Mesa for a month and a half (after flying for anther regional) and would say that the Mesa crews are a professional as any I have ever flown with. I hate J.O as much as anyone and the operations side at Mesa (especially on the east coast) need some work (and some spare aircraft Mr Segial) but that is not the crews fault.

Looking forward to your response. -Cape

I Believe what AKA_trvl64 is referring to are the Mesa Flight Attendants... At least I have been told by some that they don't seem to follow US AIRWAYS Look...ie No nylons with Dresses and Skirts is one that I have seen.

I fly Mesa at least 2 times a month when I go home and I have never had a problem with them...I actually enjoy the bit of Humor they put in their announcements. But like I said above it just doesn't look very professional not wearing Nylons with our uniform Skirts and Dresses. <_<

Mesa's flight attendants are a downright disgrace. I apologize in advance if there are some who dont look like a Jenny Jones audience member. I stood behind one in line at PIT's Mickey Ds the other day. He wasnt mainline or wholly owned because I know what our ID badges look like.

He was in uniform, but wearing a backpack with graffiti writing on it and keychains hanging off of it. He had his uniform pants TUCKED into COMBAT BOOTS with YELLOW AND BLUE SHOELACES (Im not making this up, I swear). The long sleeve shirt sleeves were rolled up to the elbow, and he was was wearing a belt with a huge silver belt buckle. He had an earring in his ear and his cellphone in the other, on which he was loudly complaining about how he hates his Captain this month.

It was enough to make this furloughed US Airways flight attendant want to cry.

U won't do anything about it but I already submitted feedback regarding 2 separate mesa flights I was on in recent weeks. I think the flight attendant was just of the boat from Korea judging by her broken english (she told us she was from Korea by the way). Standard briefing protocal was not only followed it was totally disregarded. Some of her comments were down right rude to the passengers and insulting. She thought she was funny but.... not.

On another flight I simply asked for coffee and the flight attendant sneered and walked away as if she was miffed that she actually had to brew some coffee.

If mesa crews are professional out there it's because they are J4J participants from the mainline. At least mainline employees think about the long haul rather than only the next paycheck.

Capecod said:
For someone who acts like they are in the "know" you don't seen to know what you are talking about. :down: Mesa has no "Staff" in PIT. Or for that matter at any of the U stations. I believe PIT is run by PSA (correct me if I'm wrong) PHL by ALG and CLT by PDT. All WO's run by Mainline.

Please give examples about what the "crews" of the Mesa Jets are doing that is so turning you off. I've been flying for Mesa for a month and a half (after flying for anther regional) and would say that the Mesa crews are a professional as any I have ever flown with. I hate J.O as much as anyone and the operations side at Mesa (especially on the east coast) need some work (and some spare aircraft Mr Segial) but that is not the crews fault.

Looking forward to your response. -Cape
PIT to RIC on 10/6 = Mesa crew
PIC to PIT on 10/8 = Mesa crew

PIT to HPN on 10/20 = Mesa crew
HPN to PIT on 10/20 = Mesa crew

PIT to EWR on 10/21 = Mesa crew

SO, yeah I do know what I'm talking about. I was observant and I asked the F/A who he/she workd for.

Cute announcements by F/A's but they are getting old. USE is not LUV. Quit trying to be funny. TRUE they (mesa) doesn't staff PIT but they sure have enough flights out of PIT lately. That was the point of my posting.

As for being professional.........I witnessed the copilot yelling at the F/A on my PIT to EWR (#2653) flight tonight. Everyone sitting in the first few rows heard this. Not very professional, huh?!

Oh, the F/A on my PIT to RIC flight spoke a lovely broken English. What happened to learning the language when you live in this country?? Oh wait!? You don't have to anymore.

Call me racist or ethnocentric if you want to. I am. Single, White and Male.

Yes, as has been pointed out in the past, sometimes you do get what you pay for! Apparently this is an acceptable level of service to US Airways management.

Repeat after me: Cheap is good.........Cheap is good.......

"If mesa crews are professional out there it's because they are J4J participants from the mainline. At least mainline employees think about the long haul rather than only the next paycheck. "

More people trying to suck up on this message board with little to no facts. Ask any J4J guy at Mesa what he thinks of the crews and he will tell you that they are as nice, professional, and fun to fly with as any they had at mainline. To say that the only professional pilots at Mesa are J4J proves to me you have no idea what you are talking about. BTW, how can you tell who is J4J and who isn't? DO you just assume that b/c the CA is old and the flight went well it is J4J? Ridiculous!

"PIT to RIC on 10/6 = Mesa crew
PIC to PIT on 10/8 = Mesa crew

PIT to HPN on 10/20 = Mesa crew
HPN to PIT on 10/20 = Mesa crew

PIT to EWR on 10/21 = Mesa crew"

Did I ever say that you don't fly on Mesa aircraft? You said "Mesa STAFF" in PIT which we don't have any. Of course now you know that the gate agents and rampers in PIT are WO you drop those complaints and continue with your attacks on Mesa. Could your tongue be any further up mainlines a$$.

"Cute announcements by F/A's but they are getting old. USE is not LUV. Quit trying to be funny."

That's right. Being funny is horrible. I can't believe the Mesa FA's are trying to get people to relax and enjoy the flight. What a crime. Make sure you let "Dave" know that a Mesa FA had the people rolling. I get complements about our flight attendants lighting the mood and having fun all the time from the pax. The majority of the people really enjoy it. Sorry your such a grump.

"As for being professional.........I witnessed the copilot yelling at the F/A on my PIT to EWR (#2653) flight tonight. Everyone sitting in the first few rows heard this."

Since you heard it so clearly. What was he mad about? There isn't much room in the front of the RJ's and not much distance from the pilots to the packs. That said, sounds like the FO was a fault if true. This is certainly not the norm though.

"Call me racist or ethnocentric if you want to. I am. Single, White and Male."

So your an admitted racist ha? :( Enough said. Please don't fly Mesa. We don't want people like you. -Cape

I agree with every single post on this page about J.O., his company and especially his FLIGHT ATTENDANTS!I am also a FURLOUGHED MAINLINE FLIGHT ATTENDANT and seeing these so called Flight Attendants walking around in our uniforms, destroying the whole appearence of them, I just want to throw up. I felt the same embarassment when I was still on the line. How do they get away with it? I have seen them in go-go boots with the dress or the skirt, with out nylons, one was in cotton black pants with our wings on a dirty white blouse walking thru CLT,and some in chunky platform shoes. Some look like they come straight out of a strip joint.Where is John Flasco when we need him? Can the union work something out with Mesa's union where mainline supervisors can do uniform checks on these Flight Attendants when they fly thru hubs such a PIT,PHL,CLT,DCA and etc? Our passengers have no clue that they are contracted help, start out a 13.50 per hr., and are shipped straight to DCA for fast food wages. I also the average life span of a Mesa F/A is about 6mths.

OldpropGuy said:
Yes, as has been pointed out in the past, sometimes you do get what you pay for! Apparently this is an acceptable level of service to US Airways management.

Repeat after me: Cheap is good.........Cheap is good.......
The problem here is that Mesa has better on time and total completion numbers then the better paid groups at places like ACA and ASA. We also have better numbers then the equally poorly paid AM Eagle and PSA (yes, better then one of the great WO's and the only one that "Dave" has decided to grow.)

Mesa has it's operational problems, and will until they start adding infrastructure and until Siegel lets us have a few spare aircraft. They thing is so do most regionals. I would love to see ALG, PDT or for that matter mainline numbers with Zero spare aircraft in the whole system. -Cape

BMIBABYgirl737, How do you know that these flight attendants are Mesa employees. Remember there are 10 (I think, it's hard to keep count) airlines that operate as US Express and I think 9 of those fly planes that require flight attendants. Although I am not saying that you didn't see people dressed like you say (and others in this thread say), I can say as a Mesa pilot I have never and I mean NEVER have flown with a single flight attendant that did not meet the U dress code as I know it. If I ever do I will make sure that the person understands that it is unacceptable. I would welcome U Mgmt making dress code checks on ALL front line employees wearing the U uniform. OF course that would have to include mainline pilots walking around without there hats. Something I see a dozen times a day in PHL and CLT. -Cape

Hey Cape-

Us silly mainliners are smarter than you think- we can read employee IDs! Yours is blue with a big yellow splotch on it. If you're a pilot, you could be either Air Midwest or Mesa, if your'e a flight attendant it must be Mesa. Clever, huh? We do pay attention to who is going around desecrating our name and image.

Cape, I have no doubt in my mind that you are an excellent pilot and take great pride in what you do. Mainline flight attendants are the same way. There are currently roughly 5000 of us on furlough and 5000 active. THATS HALF. Has the US network shrunk? Yes, but not that much. Most of its been replaced by contract companies with employees who DONT have any pride. They work for fast food wages for a few months and drag down what was a great career. They dont care about our company, its success, our image, or apparently even thier own. This drags our company down more because our passengers dont know the difference.

Mesas flight attendants make trailer park wages and thats who they end up with. Of all of the Express carriers, Mesa is the one passengers are starting to know by name enough to avoid. Mesa is the one other employees complain about. Mesa is also the one that will work for peanuts as long as its taking jobs from one of the airlines. Believe me, we dont want to fly Mesa, and we dont want our customers flying them either.

I hope Johnny O takes all of his brokedown RJS and hubs them somewhere else. Leave the stack of Attaches on the ramp and fly away tomorrow, that would be great. Id love to see that outfit operate independently (on a large scale, not the EAS program) and see how many people choose to fly on them.

BMIBABYGIRL737......They get away with it because they don't have Stevie in PHL chasing them down the corridors.......HA HA :lol:

All you F/A 's out there know what I'm talking about....

At least she tries to keep the "Impressions of Excellence" going for Mainline !!!

Latest posts