Will Oneworld lose JAL?

The topic is AA, JAL, and OneWorld. Keep political/social commentary to the Water Cooler, please. Posts have been deleted. Time off can be given. A word to the wise?

Again folks, TPG is stumping up most of the capital here, so no need to work yourselves into a tizzy the potential deal.

Now that JAL has said they won't be taking any money from either AA or DL, I'd think they would stick with AA (assuming the non-compete offer is still in play). Switching alliances costs money, after all.

Switching alliances ain't cheap, but one of the carrots being offered by DL and Skyteam was to move as much of their ground handling, catering, etc. over to JAL and JAL subsidiaries. There was also some talk of DL cutting back on its NRT beyond flying, which then would become JAL flying with a revenue share. Haven't heard ALPA's take on that one yet, but I'm sure they can't be pleased...

Might just be easier to try and steal ANA from Star Alliance. I'm sure they can be convinced that they're sharing too much traffic with Asiana, Air China, Thai, Singapore and Shanghai Airlines....

Might just be easier to try and steal ANA from Star Alliance. I'm sure they can be convinced that they're sharing too much traffic with Asiana, Air China, Thai, Singapore and Shanghai Airlines....

LOL, pipe dreams my dear, nothing like denying facts that are lying square in front of you. In fact, if JAL does go over to SkyTeam, I would venture to say that Cathay may jump ship as well and go to an alliance with more presence in other parts of Asia, for more feed and more revenue. It looks like the OWA, which is lacking as it is, is not going to get better anytime soon. It will be an interesting year. Good Luck to all!!

LOL, pipe dreams my dear, nothing like denying facts that are lying square in front of you. In fact, if JAL does go over to SkyTeam, I would venture to say that Cathay may jump ship as well and go to an alliance with more presence in other parts of Asia, for more feed and more revenue. It looks like the OWA, which is lacking as it is, is not going to get better anytime soon. It will be an interesting year. Good Luck to all!!

Never underestimate how deep business ties run among the former colonies of the British Empire....

I think there is a level of national face saving involved here.

Letting pushy Gaijin invest in Japan Airlines? Probably went over as well as the Dubai World thing did a year or two ago.

I think there is a level of national face saving involved here.

Letting pushy Gaijin invest in Japan Airlines? Probably went over as well as the Dubai World thing did a year or two ago.

Excellent point.

My guess is that after bankruptcy, the Japanese government gives most of JAL's international routes to ANA and then selects Delta as JAL's partner.

Not much to do now except mull over an acquisition of UAL before Doug Parker does. Should have bought NW when it was for sale.

Never going to happen.Mister Arpey is convinced he can shrink the airline to profitability by retreating from major markets and surrendering market share.Remember AA's altruistic gesture of returning 42 pairs of slots at LGA in order to "Ease congestion" there?

Meanwhile Delta hubs it and we've deftly managed to go from the leader in seats offered at LGA to a rapidly fading third.All that in about a year! Now that is the kind of acumen I like to see leading the airline!

I think our concessions got Gerry a life time subscription to this:

soldierofsurrender_1.jpg

Back