will Southwest start service to the islands?

My initial response was to your question. . . . what makes anyone think that they're interested in flying to the Caribbean now?

But then, that's typical of a massive problem at AA, the execs are always reading things into something that isn't really there which usually results in SNAFU, for which they can then blame labor for and penalize the workforce for costing them a percentage point on their perks-bank.

...and for the record, I've never worn a suit to work in my life. I love the looks I get from snooty 1st class stews when I have the audacity to park my 501s-clad butt in one of their first class seats!! (right next to the guy in Armani no less)

Just because you wear Armani doesn't mean you have money, let alone class. I think there is a saying in spanish that translates to - you can dress a monkey up in silk, but he's still a monkey - . And before everyone jumps on me for that one, I am aware and do respect the ones who do.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/5/2003 1:40:43 PM SANman wrote:

It's more ethnic travel than leisure, you need to open ethnic (spanish speaking) res offices, local sales, etc.
[/blockquote]

Not giving an opinion either way on your assertion, but the former (res) already exists at WN: 1-800-VAMONOS (thats "let's go!" for you espanol-challenged).
In addition to spanish-speaking customers in the US, WN already gets plenty of cross-border feed at SAN, ELP, and HRL.

[blockquote]
----------------

Hawaii would make more sense for WN to start with - utilization wouldn't fall that much if they did overnights eastbound, and it'd make their frequent flier program a heckuva lot more valuable.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Assuming that is a concern, wouldn't a Rapid Rewards linkup with AQ's program be a lot less costly than operating their own overwater flights?

[blockquote]
----------------

Caribbean won't work for WN for the same reasons that B6 can't fill their planes from JFK.
----------------
[/blockquote]

If B6 can't fill their planes, why are they launching 4th and 5th daily flights to SJU this summer?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/5/2003 8:40:06 PM mga707 wrote:

Not giving an opinion either way on your assertion, but the former (res) already exists at WN: 1-800-VAMONOS (thats "let's go!" for you espanol-challenged).

In addition to spanish-speaking customers in the US, WN already gets plenty of cross-border feed at SAN, ELP, and HRL.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Yep. My comment wasn't about US-based res centers, or current spanish-speaking customers; I was thinking that in order to really capture that market, you need a spanish speaking sales and res force on the island to go after the local agency accounts - that's where the bulk of that traffic is booked. I just didn't think that would fit in really well with their cost structure.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/5/2003 10:15:21 PM AAG2000 wrote:

If B6 can't fill their planes, why are they launching 4th and 5th daily flights to SJU this summer?
----------------
[/blockquote]

They're seasonal adds for the summer (only in through Labor Day). Everyone's full to SJU in the summer - it's peak season. But before Christmas, they were running loads in the 60's.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/5/2003 8:42:58 PM mga707 wrote:

Assuming that is a concern, wouldn't a Rapid Rewards linkup with AQ's program be a lot less costly than operating their own overwater flights?

----------------
[/blockquote]

I don't know if that's a concern of theirs or not. I just think if they're going to open up a new piece of the world like that with overwater and longer flight times, Hawaii makes a lot more sense than going into the Florida-SJU market and fighting AA, TZ, Spirit, and a ton of LCC pricing already in existence.

Aloha,

Why are you all worried about SW? Id be looking at B6 for trouble. SW stategy has always been point to point to underserved markets. While B6 is going after AA head on. AA has already retreated from 2 of their markets.

They will start flying 8 r/t from JFK-LGB & 6 JFK-OAK. They WILL start FLL-SJU and ARE flying JFK-SJU, which is their highest yeilding market. When they start connecting the dots, OAK, LGB, LAS, DEN, IAD, SLC, MSY, to FLL they will give MIA a headhache. Same for LGB vs LAX.

Who in 2-3 years will be the busiest airline at JFK? AA with their MEGA Term? No, it will be B6.

B6 traffic rose over 93% Jan from a year earlier. Its load factor increased from 76.7% to 82.2% during the same time. B6 doubles in size and its load factor goes up 6%? How are they doing that in this economy? Why are people flying B6 and not AA? B6 can not get planes fast enough and is trying to speed up delivery.

So I wouldnt worry about SW, they dont really compete with AA markets, but watch out for B6!

ALOHA, 007

The Miami Hub is made up mostly of connecting traffic. B6 flying from FLL-LGB may hurt our 2 FLL-LAX non-stops but the MIA hub should be able to hold its own. Since B6 started JFK-SJU we have not seen a downturn in our 8 JFK-SJU (mostly widebodies). Like WN, B6 may spur travel in certain markets. JFK-OAK was started after B6 came around. You make it sound like they drove us out of a market that we always had. If B6 wants to take on AA why not fly JFK-MIA or BOS-MIA or JFK-LAX? Its too early to tell whether B6 will last, but WN has been around and has already given AA a run for their money. Why not keep a couple of a/c comitted to one region FLL-SJU or MCO-SJU. That way they don't have to worry about the longer turn times effecting the rest of the system. Keep in mind that The US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico don't require going thru customs. WN has the oppertunity to gain at AA's expence.

One important reason for WN *not* to fly to Hawaii is ETOPS; not only would they have to have aircraft that are overwater-certified, they'd also have to add the complexity of ETOPS certification. As far as I'm aware, flights to the Caribbean don't require ETOPS. And going to Hawaii means competing with Aloha, Hawaiian, and the five largest network carriers.

I wouldn't read too much into the overwater certification, though. In the past (i.e. before roughly 1996), they flew no routes which could be operated more directly with overwater-equipped aircraft. With a likely increase in flying to/from Florida and the Northeast (why take 9 gates at FLL otherwise?), the cost-benefit equation has changed, with potential savings in fuel burn and flight time from overwater routes.

SJU probably will happen some day, but it won't be soon.

IMHO, before SW considers Hawaii and SJU, they may consider Canada instead. Customs clearance is already in place and westjet could make a good partner (codeshare?).

[blockquote]----------------On 2/6/2003 8:21:33 PM FrugalFlyer wrote: IMHO, before SW considers Hawaii and SJU, they may consider Canada instead. Customs clearance is already in place and westjet could make a good partner (codeshare?).
----------------[/blockquote]

Are there US customs agents at all major Canadian airports? I know they are at Montreal, I was rather pleasently surprised about that, had concernes about clearing customs in Chicago and still making the connection to Tulsa.

IIRC, there are U.S. Customs and Immigration officers for pre-clearance at 7 Canadian airports: YUL, YOW, YYZ, YWG, YYC, YEG and YVR. Flights from those airports to the U.S. are considered domestic. Airports on some of the closer islands (BDA, NAS and AUA, among others) also have such pre-clearance facilities.

Latest posts