Wn Perfomance In 1st Quarter

orangeman

Advanced
Oct 5, 2003
Scottsdale, AZ.
I am looking FWD to WN's financial report later today! Let us just see with regard to mine and my coworkers demand for a better contract! I'll put my money on LARGE Black! I am tired of feeling like a subsidey! I will once again mention that we are not looking for "Industry Leading Pay" yet... "Industry Leading Raises" is not correct! Any small raise vs. other F/A's that have taken a package cut, makes the "Pay Raise" sound great. This does not mean we are being offered "Industry Leading Pay". One must understand that we are battling past contracts! Percentage raises with regard to other WN workgroups is NOT unreasonable!
Please compare Apples only to Apples! <_<

We shall see,
Bring it on!

From another (AA) Group,
Posted: Apr 15 2004, 03:25 AM

Group: Member
Member No.: 2,778

QUOTE (DFWCC @ Apr 13 2004, 12:01 PM)
SOLUTION:
I think it was Bethune from CO who said several years back "TAKE CARE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES AND THEY'LL TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS" 'nuff said.

I do believe that Herb Kelleher has used this as his mantra! I am a 14 year WN(SWA) F/A, and I don't believe that Jim Parker has quite caught on! As far as Parker has been acting...nuff said!!!

OOPS! I have a bit more to say.
For any who may care...Jim Parker was heard to make a comment, "What is up with the the Flight attendants, they are either old and sick, or young and pregnant"!
Is this proper for the CEO/Lead negotiator? He has since claimed that he never said this. Our entire union N/T attests to that he did indeed say this! The Company N/T heard it as well! Our V.P. of Inflight has denied this statement even though she was seated next to him at the time! I understand that SHE has no choice. This statement was quoted in "Aviation Week & Technology". Parker has since posted a letter to the Editor claiming that this is a falsehood. Ten people, on both sides of the table heard him say this!! Now he claims that this never happened! This remindes me of "I never had sexual relations with this woman" and "I didn't inhale" stories that have led to the truth coming out. Jim Parker is a liar! He claims that he never used these words, yet more than 8 people heard him say it!
I'm a guy, and am exremely offended!!!

--------------------
A Lie is a lie, Parker said it amongst many people! I find it hard to believe as well, but I am convinced that he must now try to "cover his ass" in as far as having our V.P. having selective retention!
He has to deny.deny, deny! I know some folks that were there and am sure that he spoke these words! I am quite pleased that I am not in MGT. and forced to lie to save my job!

You sound a lot like the old SWAPA union leadership. There's no question that WN flight attendants deserve the best. However, militant views such as yours does not help your case. 70% of the pilot group voted against our union's leadership's recommendation on our contract extension two years ago. We lost faith in them, but maintained faith in the leadership of our company. Having worked from everything from a bus boy to building electronics for Nintendo, I can't tell you how lucky you are to be working here. Most flight attendants I fly with maintain a positive view of the company and what it stands for. Perhaps your union leadership is the road block between you and an industry leading contract. The smear campaign against company leadership is getting old and you're loosing the support of your fellow employee groups by dragging LUV's reputation through the mud. I wish you the best, my freind, but from the flyers your leadership has left in the pilot lounges, I see the twisting of facts, disinformation, and SPIN. Their attempt to gain popular support will back fire. Two years ago our union leadership attempted the same and were subsequently voted out!

orangeman said:
I am looking FWD to WN's financial report later today! Let us just see with regard to mine and my coworkers demand for a better contract! I'll put my money on LARGE Black! I am tired of feeling like a subsidey! I will once again mention that we are not looking for "Industry Leading Pay" yet... "Industry Leading Raises" is not correct! Any small raise vs. other F/A's that have taken a package cut, makes the "Pay Raise" sound great. This does not mean we are being offered "Industry Leading Pay". One must understand that we are battling past contracts! Percentage raises with regard to other WN workgroups is NOT unreasonable!

We shall see,
Bring it on!
Interesting article in Forbes

The union remains committed and available to meet with management at any time to settle this dispute, hopefully before labor relations and the legendary Southwest culture are damaged beyond repair. The contract will be resolved when we return to the negotiating table, not through public posturing and direct bargaining. The outstanding flight attendants of Southwest Airlines deserve to be treated as well as we treat our passengers. Mr. Parker, we are ready to bargain, but since our phone is not ringing, it must be you.

That quote was from your union leader, Thom McDaniel. I highlighted what I found to be somewhat humorous in all this...I thought that was what he was calling a "strategic bargaining campaign". Sorry - but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

orangeman said:

We shall see,
Bring it on!
I believe that if you asked for what the pilots received, the company would give it to you.

10 year contract (Two year extension for a total of 12 years)
Pay freeze for first five years
Stock options
Good pay increases in the last 5/7 years of the conttract

If you want to compare apples to apples, you must compare all of them.

Good luck :)

Today WN reported a $26 million profit for Q1 after paying the help $589 million. Not too much meat left on that bone to divide among the FAs as large pay raises, let alone all the employees. B)

spanky said:
You sound a lot like the old SWAPA union leadership. There's no question that WN flight attendants deserve the best. However, militant views such as yours does not help your case. 70% of the pilot group voted against our union's leadership's recommendation on our contract extension two years ago. We lost faith in them, but maintained faith in the leadership of our company. Having worked from everything from a bus boy to building electronics for Nintendo, I can't tell you how lucky you are to be working here. Most flight attendants I fly with maintain a positive view of the company and what it stands for. Perhaps your union leadership is the road block between you and an industry leading contract. The smear campaign against company leadership is getting old and you're loosing the support of your fellow employee groups by dragging LUV's reputation through the mud. I wish you the best, my freind, but from the flyers your leadership has left in the pilot lounges, I see the twisting of facts, disinformation, and SPIN. Their attempt to gain popular support will back fire. Two years ago our union leadership attempted the same and were subsequently voted out!
In what way are my views militant? I do not see how the SWAPA negotiaitons compare. Our work group has not lost faith! You may come across F/A's that, either don't feel confidant with their info, or choose not to discuss the issue with you. I know that I try to politely say that it is not your time to comment! The lead Company Negotiator is also the CEO. How is this a good idea? I love working here yet, you make it sound as if I do not treat our pax with the SWA kind of service.
The last time I checked, our Inflight group left you alone and supported you! If you can't do the same...DON'T SAY A WORD#!!! If you can't say something nice...Keep your piehole shut!!! If OUR share price suffer initially, be more positive! You come off as an ass! We F/A's will not subsidise the price of your options!!!

The last time I checked, our Inflight group left you alone and supported you! If you can't do the same...DON'T SAY A WORD#!!! If you can't say something nice...Keep your piehole shut!!! If OUR share price suffer initially, be more positive! You come off as an ass! We F/A's will not subsidise the price of your options!!!

Speak to your union Orangeman - the strategic bargaining campaign was implemented to "educate" the public and your coworkers on the plight of the FA's. The website "savingoursouthwest.com" was also cited as an "educational tool" for other Southwest employees. IMHO, spanky is well within his rights to comment.

orangeman said:
OOPS! I have a bit more to say.
For any who may care...Jim Parker was heard to make a comment, "What is up with the the Flight attendants, they are either old and sick, or young and pregnant"!
It's true and right after this he also stated " All mechanics are fat, bald, and smell funny."

wnbubbleboy said:
It's true and right after this he also stated " All mechanics are fat, bald, and smell funny."
I have not heard any respnse to Mr. Parker's comments! I have spoken with 3 seperate people that heard this "first hand"! How is this approptiate? As to " All mechanics are fat, bald, and smell funny" . Are you that sheltered? The comment made by Mr. Parker was during negotiations at the table! If you don't believe me then so Be It!! OOOPS! Parker just stepped down as lead negotiator earlier! I do hope that your work group will, have more hair, lose more weight and shower more often!
Back atcha!!!

Back