Wright Amendment

luver41

Nov 19, 2003
Poll shows public support to repeal Wright

By TREBOR BANSTETTER

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

A survey commissioned by an investment group that owns a terminal at Dallas Love Field concluded that an overwhelming number of North Texans favor repealing the Wright Amendment.

According to the survey, conducted last month by Public Opinion Strategies, 82 percent of those polled favored repealing the amendment, which limits flights from Love Field to destinations in Texas and adjacent states. It also allows flights to Alabama, Mississippi and Kansas.

Dallas-based Southwest Airlines, which operates at Love, has been pushing to have the law repealed. The move is opposed by officials from Dallas/Fort Worth Airport and American Airlines, which operates a hub at the larger airport.

A committee in the U.S. Senate will hold hearings on the issue later this month.

"As the debate escalated we determined the need for further information about the public’s opinion on this important issue,â€￾ said Alan Naul, a spokesman for Love Terminal Partners, which commissioned the poll.

The firm owns the old Legend terminal at Love. That facility is currently empty.

The survey polled 600 residents in the 12-country region around Fort Worth and Dallas. It found strong support for a repeal in all areas, including Tarrant County, where 70 percent of respondents favored eliminating the law, while only 26 percent said they preferred keeping it in place.

I'm really getting tired of these "independent" polls and studies. In every case, the buyer got what they paid for. The true poll will come in the Senate on November 10th when the statements and comments will all be classified as "congressional testimony" and leave a lot less wiggle room for opinion.

I wonder if their poll asked if the Lemmon Ave. terminal should be removed from consideration as "available gates" in the Love Field Master Plan as the Dallas Mayor has proposed? :rolleyes:

END OF STORY.....SWA can and should fly out of ANY airport that can accomodate their aircraft.
THIS IS AMERICA. I AM NOT SEEING the problem......if people want it-SWA will deliver it. STOP THE RESTRICTIONS......who the hell cares about AA.......if they want to fly at LUV then let them. This really should be a black and white issue. Sick and tired of everyone's jealously against SWA. IF you hate your airline- SWA is hiring....there again, I highly doubt that they would hire any of you HATERS. SET LOVE FREE!

END OF STORY.....SWA can and should fly out of ANY airport that can accomodate their aircraft.
THIS IS AMERICA. I AM NOT SEEING the problem......if people want it-SWA will deliver it. STOP THE RESTRICTIONS......who the hell cares about AA.......if they want to fly at LUV then let them. This really should be a black and white issue. Sick and tired of everyone's jealously against SWA. IF you hate your airline- SWA is hiring....there again, I highly doubt that they would hire any of you HATERS. SET LOVE FREE!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Who the hell cares about AA" ?????..................

(skyguy25),

"More TX politicians than you may care to know about" !!!!!!!!

As fellow WN/er..... Corl737..... so CORRECTLY put it, "Nov-10th will start the......... put-up-or-shut-up proceedings" !! (My words + Corl737's words)

As always, in this business,

TIME WILL TELL.

One thing I have to "smile" about.

It's Obvious that a LOT of WN/ers "Don't have a CLUE" about how many years "Herb" and (uncle) BOBBY Crandall co-existed in North Texas !!

There were MANY "winks and nods" exchanged between those Two.

If the USA came down to only 2 commercial airlines, "JUST 2", one would be WN, and the other would be.....
.... ("COME ON, it only hurts for a moment to let the WORD roll off of your tounges")........................??????

NH/BB's

How much money has Southwest blown on this ridiculous PR campaign?

About a tenth of what American has wasted supporting the Love Field Citizens Action Committee.
<_<

(I really have no true knowledge of actual amounts, but then I suppose no one really does AND "ridiculous" is certainly in the eye of the beholder)

IMHO

How much money has Southwest blown on this ridiculous PR campaign?

NONE...THE PASSENERS HAVE PAID! Their revenues, and their employees hard work and determination have been worth more than any bank account.

The word "blown" was an intereseting choice as well.... i don't think that Americas most consistantly profitable airline has the tendency or attittude to blow money. Stock is over 16.00! go SWA

Okay skyguy's response was wierd.

Seriously - I don't agree with the Wright Amendment but it's hardly prevented Southwest from becoming what it is today.

Why fight this battle now? There are things coming out of Southwest lately that reek of hubris.

Why fight this battle now?
Because winning it means a significant increase in revenue and SWA needs more revenue. Since their fuel costs have gone up and will continue to increase as the fuel hedges slowly go away, how does SWA remain profitable? By growing revenue. The WA battle is more important to SWA now more than ever. It has nothing to do with hubris and everything to do with trying to remain profitable.

Okay skyguy's response was wierd.

Seriously - I don't agree with the Wright Amendment but it's hardly prevented Southwest from becoming what it is today.

Why fight this battle now? There are things coming out of Southwest lately that reek of hubris.
"ngneer" was correct -- it's about "revenue". There is a sizeable market that wants long haul flights out of DAL. Additionally though, it's about lowering costs.

The most expensive part of any flight is the "takeoff event." More fuel is burned during the takeoff and climb to altitude than during any other segment of the trip. Once at altitude, the cost of flying any additional miles is marginal. In the days of cheap fuel, you could still charge low fares and make a decent profit. Now, however, with fuel costs what they are, you need to have longer flights in order to amortize that huge expense of taking off and still be able to offer low fares.

Does this theory work in real life? You bet! Look at JetBlue's route map -- virtually everything is over 1,500 miles! They didn't choose long-haul just because they like it -- it's the least expensive way to fly! Why are the legacy's adding more international routes? Longer stage lengths are less costly (plus there's currently less LCC competition though they do seem to be adding their own competition through added flights).

Because of the Wright Amendment's geographical restrictions, Southwest is essentially forced to be a "commuter" airline from Dallas Love Field (SWA route map). Short segments, high fuel costs. The battle to repeal the Wright Amendment is an effort to allow SWA to fly longer, more cost-efficient flights from the location where it already has invested millions in facilities and infrastructure. Moving to a different airport (DFW) negates the money already invested, not to mention a plethora of other factors, one of which is undoubtedly ego!

Why the repeal efforts NOW? Because SWA always, always plans ahead. They know their fuel costs will rise. By starting the process of trying to repeal the Wright Amendment NOW, they may be successful a few years down the road when it will be truly necessary to reconsider DAL's role in the SWA system.

FYI, a Boeing 737 burns fuel at the rate of a little over 2,000 gallons/hour during takeoff -- that's 33 gallons per minute! During cruise the fuel burn rate drops to around 750 gallons/hour or about 12.5 gal/minute. In the descent it's even lower as the engines are at idle (300 gal/hr = 5 gal/min). During taxi, at $1.80/gallon, it costs over $8/minute to run the engines. That's why it's risky from the cost standpoint to utilize airports with long delays or great distances when other alternatives are available. (Hey DFW, did you understand that?)

Disclaimer: the values above are estimates based on my observations. Your mileage may vary! :)

Latest posts