170's in Key West

algflyr

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
I think the EYW flying is going good. While the runway is plenty long enough for our operations, the taxiways are pretty narrow. I flew the first "full boat" out yesterday. 72 pax 47 bags. No problem. We could have carried another 67 bags if we had to.

I think the EYW flying is going good. While the runway is plenty long enough for our operations, the taxiways are pretty narrow. I flew the first "full boat" out yesterday. 72 pax 47 bags. No problem. We could have carried another 67 bags if we had to.
And what was the weather like add a good atl there goes your 47 bags

I just heard that they have no ground power down there and if a 170 without an APU shows up...well...you know..they will R.O.N....so if the APU decides to go while they are there..they cant restart it... B)

I'm sure someone has a power cart on the field. At small stations, it makes sence to rent one for an hour or two than lay out some serious cash to keep your own, and use once or twice per month.

I'm sure someone has a power cart on the field. At small stations, it makes sence to rent one for an hour or two than lay out some serious cash to keep your own, and use once or twice per month.
[/quote

Does the EMB-170 use pnuematic air for engine start or are the engines started electrically (starter/generator)?

I just heard that they have no ground power down there and if a 170 without an APU shows up...well...you know..they will R.O.N....so if the APU decides to go while they are there..they cant restart it... B)

There are no RONs scheduled in EYW.

There are no RONs scheduled in EYW.
I know there are no RON's ..what I was told by an MAA pilot was that there is no APU anywhere at that airport. So, if a 170 needs one they are sh@t out of luck and basically stuck if they need one. (so then that would make it a RON IF they get stuck) that is what I meant..I guess I did not word it correctly..sorry :D

I know there are no RON's ..what I was told by an MAA pilot was that there is no APU anywhere at that airport. So, if a 170 needs one they are sh@t out of luck and basically stuck if they need one. (so then that would make it a RON IF they get stuck) that is what I meant..I guess I did not word it correctly..sorry :D

Wonder how much a "buddy start" hose costs.....

Jim

Jim,
I am not sure if many people even know what you are talking about. Only because I have done one years ago with PI, I would bet most stations system wide have no clue it can be done.

If that hose can be dragged to the town itself, no problem!
Anyway, I ment to say air cart, not power cart.

Jim,
I am not sure if many people even know what you are talking about. Only because I have done one years ago with PI, I would bet most stations system wide have no clue it can be done.

Guess I'm showing my age, Hope - you're probably right.....

For the edification of those that don't know, a buddy start uses bleed air from one plane's engine to start another plane's engine. All that's needed is a high pressure hose (just like on the air start carts) that's long enough to reach between the two planes.

Certainly not an ideal answer in this day when just about every airport with airline service has an air start unit somewhere on the field - even if just at the FBO. For any airport that doesn't have a cart, however, a pretty inexpensive last-ditch solution in case an APU dies while there.

If that hose can be dragged to the town itself, no problem!

Lol, didn't even think of that interpretation of a "buddy start".
:shock: :lol:

Jim

Latest posts

Back