170's in Key West

I understand about the buddy hose, or air cart to start an engine. We have simular back-ups on ships for the large air start desiels.

My question is, why do the APUs seem so unreliable? I have been on many planes, and not just Us, where the APU is not working so there is no AC, etc while on the ground. I would also assume that the APU would be part of the MEL.

Thanks in advance on a reply on why the APUs seem so unreilable.

It's not that APU's are really that unreliable, it's just that it's easier to put a number on them (MEL)and keep the aircraft in revenue service. I've flown aircraft that the APU has been MEL'd for several days, mulitply that times 6 to 12 segments per day, lot's of passengers effected.

I have asked about the availability of a GPU and an aircart in EYW and was told that U has both available and they are working...

Certainly not an ideal answer in this day when just about every airport with airline service has an air start unit somewhere on the field - even if just at the FBO. For any airport that doesn't have a cart, however, a pretty inexpensive last-ditch solution in case an APU dies while there.
Lol, didn't even think of that interpretation of a "buddy start".

Jim

Usually, FBO's are required to have ground equipment for all aircraft that normally service an airport, including air bottles, towbars, deicers, etc. If the 170 is new to the field, then the airport operator should be able to make their FBO go out and acquire whatever equipment is needed to service it.

Speaking of the GPU.... rumor has it today they had to use it at EYW on a 170.... Went fine, but they hadn't used it before so the crew helped out.

I just heard that they have no ground power down there and if a 170 without an APU shows up...well...you know..they will R.O.N....so if the APU decides to go while they are there..they cant restart it... B)

Just like SOOOOOOO many of the express stations... Even if the station has a cart it usually does not or they cannot get it the run. That's just part of being express scum.

Recently one of our 701's was dispatched to GGT with an inop apu. Upon arrival the CA called for an air and power cart and the ops agent told him yes they have air, so he shut down. (we are authorized to do hot turns btw) They of course only have air conditioning!!!! The crew spent four days in GGT until the needed equipment was barged over from Nassau. 4 days offline, could have been avoided by proper dispatching of........... oh wait I forget we're just express scum.

Latest posts

Back