20 More 757's...

all available US carrier designations to Brazil are currently in use or are not sufficient to provide daily service. There is no opportunity for current US carrier expansion there or to Argentina.

If true, please bring them to Charlotte. We deperately need some movement down here and we ain't talking the bowel type...but then we aren't talking about transatlantic. :lol:
That would be a good move by US Airways to bring them to Charlotte :up:

Small point: LCC does not have 330-200s they are -300s.

I guess I have to be more clear in my posts. I of course realize that US Airways has 9 A330-300s, not 200s. However they do have some -200s on order although they can be converted to A350s. While the ranges are compeletly different (the 200 having longer range than the bigger 300) in a modern all Airbus fleet it is the only thing between an A321 and A330-300 capacity wise.

What I was wondering is if they are picking up 757s as a substitution/stopgap so they can start new international service without waiting for years until more Airbus widebodies arrive. I was wondering if this is the idea or if they are intrested in operating 757s for long term.

Heard today we got a done deal on more 75's----but until their at the hangar in CLT aint buyin into it yet !
If its true I wonder what will be done with them.

Management has said that the main reason for looking into more 757s is not for new routes but:
1. Age of current 757s
2. Concern that the lessor will not renew the lease on 757s already in the fleet.

If a deal has been signed for new aircraft, then it is becomes a mystery what will occur:
1. Use aircraft to open another transatlantic destination. Is it even possible to do this in time for this summer?
2. Use to boost frequency on a current route
3. Use to retire older 757s in the fleet at a 1 to 1 ratio.

Do you know if they are ETOPS rated? If they are then that would say volumes as to managements intent.

If its true I wonder what will be done with them.

Management has said that the main reason for looking into more 757s is not for new routes but:
1. Age of current 757s
2. Concern that the lessor will not renew the lease on 757s already in the fleet.

If a deal has been signed for new aircraft, then it is becomes a mystery what will occur:
1. Use aircraft to open another transatlantic destination. Is it even possible to do this in time for this summer?
2. Use to boost frequency on a current route
3. Use to retire older 757s in the fleet at a 1 to 1 ratio.

Do you know if they are ETOPS rated? If they are then that would say volumes as to managements intent.

#3 is the answer.

757 is a real cheap to keep machine as far as fuel burn----example---full A/C--193pax PVD/CLT FL410- burnoff is 14000 lbs---same route --same A/C empty ferry except 4 skinny F/A burnoff is 12000 lbs---"ONLY" 2000lbs diff to haul 193 pax/bags/freight--verse empty ferry --what a machine. Recycled beer can's cant do that job.

757 is a real cheap to keep machine as far as fuel burn----example---full A/C--193pax PVD/CLT FL410- burnoff is 14000 lbs---same route --same A/C empty ferry except 4 skinny F/A burnoff is 12000 lbs---"ONLY" 2000lbs diff to haul 193 pax/bags/freight--verse empty ferry --what a machine. Recycled beer can's cant do that job.

The gouge I was taught for quick fuel calculations was 10,000 pounds for the first hour of the flight, and 8000 pounds every hour after that. It usually comes out very close to what's on the paperwork. Like you said, what a machine... :D

How would that compare to the fuel burn of an A321 on the same routing? Just curious.

Thanks,

Jay

While on the subject of 757's does anyone know if the company has had a look at the new blended winglets which could further increase the fuel efficiency of the 757? I understand AA and CO have adopted them so far, and are very pleased.

CO was the 1st carrier to have them on a 757 and yes I US is evaluating the blended winglets on the 757s.

How would that compare to the fuel burn of an A321 on the same routing? Just curious.

The answer is "less", but I don't know the exact amount. The reasons are numerous, but the biggest being the A321 has a lower gross weight and the engines are smaller. Oh - and it has those nifty winglet thingys.

Latest posts

Back