21,000 free tickets given away by AA

Is this an attempt to prove "Wright is Wrong" to local and state leaders?

Let's give o'le Garton another couple of million in bonus money for great management and giving away 20,000 free tickets. What a great idea! Free tickets! AA should shortly be known and the real "low cost" carrier. Or is that "NO COST" carrier to the passenger.

An American spokesman had no estimate of the cost of the promotion, but said it was well worth the exposure for the airline.

Well now, AA should give away tickets at every NBA, NHL, and MLB game and the exposure would be well worth the cost.

I thought business was to make profit, not get exposure?

It's not desperation – it's aggressive competition," Mr. Garton said. "Look, we're in a real battle at Love. We've done a lot of 10-percent-off deals, but we don't do a lot of deals for 100 percent off."

The free ticket idea came from a few marketing employees about five or six weeks ago, but took a lot of persuasion at the airline to make it happen, Mr. Garton said. He had to go through the plan alone with Mr. Arpey to convince him it would pay off in the long run.

1) Admit you are going to lose money operating at DAL. 2) Give $500,00 to a group that will fight the Wright Amendment. 3) Give away 20,000 FREE tickets for DAL service. Is AA really trying to kill their yield and profitabity at DAL? These moves just baffle my mind! just my thoughts.......

1) Admit you are going to lose money operating at DAL. 2) Give $500,00 to a group that will fight the Wright Amendment. 3) Give away 20,000 FREE tickets for DAL service. Is AA really trying to kill their yield and profitabity at DAL? These moves just baffle my mind! just my thoughts.......
Just another excuse to come back to the employees for more concessions.

Even if the terms and conditions render the vouchers useless for 90% of the people who got them, it's still a great promotion at very little out of pocket cost to AMR.

I wonder if anyone has a forecast of the expected redemption rate? My guess is it will be very low. Out of those 20k how many folks want to go to Either MCI or STL? Out of those who even want to, how many have the time or the money? Out of those who want to go, have the time and money, how many will be able to get seats that fit their schedule? I would be surprised if even 10% get redeemed. I would also guess that the media PR value will exceed the cost of the give away value.

Just my WAG.

No fair Moderator!!! You stole my thunder. I was typing this as you hit enter. DRAT!!! Foiled again.

...and how many will bring a friend who does buy a ticket that otherwise wouldn't have been purchased?

I know many of you see any use of funds other than toward your paycheck as a waste, however, this is a great promotion. As Garfield mentions, the take rate is expected to be low since it is so specific. Additionally, it's probably capacity controlled to be available when you could only give away the seats.

Even if the terms and conditions render the vouchers useless for 90% of the people who got them, it's still a great promotion at very little out of pocket cost to AMR.

Yea makes for great promotion of employee morale, when we're being told the sky is falling day after day, that we've got to get our cost in line, we've got to work more effecient, labor cost are too high, fuel cost are too high, ticket prices are too low...etc.

Yea what marketing genuis alright!

"Hey lets piss down their backs and tell'em its raining.."

It's obvious you don't work for AA. At 5 years with the company we get free unlimited domestic flight benefits.

Yeah, but that's space-available, not a confirmed reservation in O inventory requiring a seven day advance purchase that must be booked by the end of this month and valid to only four cities from DAL. These free tickets are so darned valuable. :p

AA got lots of press for giving away, basically, nothing. Yawn.

During the Southwest quarterly earnings conference call, WN announced its competitive response to AA's promotion:

Comment on AA DAL Mavericks' promotion: Mavs fans know that WN was ultimately responsible for AA's promotion. Beginning tomorrow, as a tribute to Mark Cuban and the Mavs, free Wild Turkey (and ALL DRINKS) on flights ex-DAL starting tomorrow through Memorial Day weekend.

Yahoo! Free alcohol for six weeks on WN from DAL.

It's obvious you don't work for AA. At 5 years with the company we get free unlimited domestic flight benefits.

Did I forget to say positive space ticket.
The free unlimited travel you refer to is last person on if a seat is available.
And lately its been next to impossible to fly.
Youre right i dont work for AA that is obvious ;)

Back