30 Years Seniority and can't hold FULL Time

FLYUSAIRWAYS

Advanced
Feb 21, 2004
I started with Allegheny in 1977 at $4.00 an hr. and was thrilled. Today, 30 years later, I'm still part time thanks to the CWA cancelling my CLT transfer after 9-11. Who in this world would ever believe that 30 years can't hold full time. Can't stop shaking my head. Maybe Doug can fix this. LOL Oh yea, I can go full time, if I want to make 8 bucks an hr. NO THANKS DOUG. We can find 8 billion to buy Delta, but can't take care of of our 30 year agents.

It can't be any worse that being on furlough after 27 years either...I would gladly trade places with you... B)

Transfer to Clt and pick up all the hours you want,part timers get 6 to 6 1/2 hours.Just a thought

I started with Allegheny in 1977 at $4.00 an hr. and was thrilled. Today, 30 years later, I'm still part time thanks to the CWA cancelling my CLT transfer after 9-11. Who in this world would ever believe that 30 years can't hold full time. Can't stop shaking my head. Maybe Doug can fix this. LOL Oh yea, I can go full time, if I want to make 8 bucks an hr. NO THANKS DOUG. We can find 8 billion to buy Delta, but can't take care of of our 30 year agents.
Have you thought about putting in for part time with a transfer to full time. I did and was offered full time 5 months from the day I accepted part time.

I am so tired of the people that whine about Usairways/Unions getting rid of "their" jobs. If you are part-time or furloughed it is because YOU CHOSE TO BE.
Usairways has full-time poistions...just not in your "home".....commute or move like the rest of us and stop whining and blaming some one else for your situation.

Crushed...

If you replace somebody who took an early out you come back at new hire pay ($8.something hr). If you replace someone who quit or retired it's your regular full pay. Unfortunatley the company is playing weird numbers games and all furloughed employees are filling EO positions.

What's sad is they can't seem to hire anyone because of the low wages. The ones they do hire either quit during training or quit after just a few days on the job. Can you imagine how bad it will be when the few remaining oldtimers leave.

God help USAir...ways.

I am so tired of the people that whine about Usairways/Unions getting rid of "their" jobs. If you are part-time or furloughed it is because YOU CHOSE TO BE.
Usairways has full-time poistions...just not in your "home".....commute or move like the rest of us and stop whining and blaming some one else for your situation.
In order to make a statement like this, it is obvious that you have never been in a postion like this. Please remember that when most of us were furloughed, that the company was on life support. Selling your home and uprouting your family in order to follow a job that may go away shortly is not a wise decision. Can you imagine moving everthing, and then losing your job afterwards? Given the situation at the time a lot of us were furloughed, it was a huge risk. Some of us have spouses that have decent jobs, and they too would have had to walk away from them with hopes of finding another. It seemed as if the pay reductions and benefit cuts were going to be the norm with this Airline at the time. Please don't critisize long time employees that had to do what was best for them at the time based on the information they had. Since you are in PHL, you would know nothing about what is was like to have your job outsourced. You were fortunate enough to have the union somewhat on your side, while they were busy selling out a lot of other employees. :huh:

In order to make a statement like this, it is obvious that you have never been in a postion like this. Please remember that when most of us were furloughed, that the company was on life support. Selling your home and uprouting your family in order to follow a job that may go away shortly is not a wise decision. Can you imagine moving everthing, and then losing your job afterwards? Given the situation at the time a lot of us were furloughed, it was a huge risk. Some of us have spouses that have decent jobs, and they too would have had to walk away from them with hopes of finding another. It seemed as if the pay reductions and benefit cuts were going to be the norm with this Airline at the time. Please don't critisize long time employees that had to do what was best for them at the time based on the information they had. Since you are in PHL, you would know nothing about what is was like to have your job outsourced. You were fortunate enough to have the union somewhat on your side, while they were busy selling out a lot of other employees. :huh:

In PHL...NOT FROM PHL!
Myself as well as many of my co-workers commute or moved to keep our jobs! Uprooted our families or commute so that our families can stay home. You CHOSE not to take the risk that many others did. You CHOSE not to move or be inconvienced by the commute.
That is my point!
Don't say I don't understand, I've been there as well....I just made a different choice. If taking the furlough "was best for you" then live with your decision.

I am doing the best that I can, and all that I said above in this post is that I would gladly trade places with this 30 year P/T agent.I don't know when you came to PHL, but if it was prior to the HP merger you took a risk as well. At this point all that most of us on furlough would like to see is the elimation of the 60 day furlough clause. Had I known what was going to take place with the company in advance, I would have relocated. :rolleyes:

Had I known what was going to take place with the company in advance, I would have relocated. :rolleyes:

Had I known...I would have gone to med school!

Most people I know (PIT) took the fulough...collected unemployment while I worked my ass off and now want to come back at full pay. Still others have moved several times in the last 10 years to follow their job.

If you thought the company was going belly up then having to commute wouldn't have lasted very long...at least you would have been collecting a paycheck while you looked for another job. What I'm saying is.....If you were given a choice (and I realize a few were not) to go to another station but chose the furlough then live with YOUR decision....don't blame anyone else.

Don't get me wrong...PHL SUCKS...but it beats diggin' ditches.

What I do not "get" is why after years and years of being crapped on why people don't move on???

I mean what is sooooo great about being a T/A, G/A, FSA or whatever? It's an hourly wage job and frankly other industries pay better, have better benefits, better work hours, etc etc.

Heck a halfway decent Waiter or Waitress can earn as much if not more than most who work the ramp, gate or ticket couinters.

So what exactly is the allure?
Piney, there are economic and emotional reasons why mature agents don't move on or if they do want to come back:
1. Age factor. Most are pushing 50, not exactly young go getter's in the eye of employers.
2. Resume. If all you done for the last 25-30 years is work for the same airline, I hope you run into an employer that appreciates loyalty.
3. Wages and the global economy. The blue collar american dream is dead, if you can find a blue collar job starting at 14.00 an hour you're lucky.
4. We like the aviation industry.
As you mentioned I was very tired of getting crapped on. After 9/11 knowing that the end was near I finished my bachelors degree in Business Administration and when the ramp furlough's came around was glad to leave.
I'm now a low level bureacrat making 28,100 in a county post that I actually hate. Yes I'm not out in the weather, I got weekends off and get every holiday off. But now that I've been on the other side of the fence I would consider going back to U for these reasons:
1. First and foremost the elimination of the 60 day rule. Have you guys ever thought that it is not really a 60 day rule but more like a 30-45 day rule. How long does it take to run a background check again?
2. Wages. If the above is met and I'm lucky to be recalled to a nearby hub at the top of the wage scale it would be the equivalent of gaining around 5 years of inmediate seniority in my county post.
3. Overtime. Dearly missed.
4. Enjoying my job. I miss working w/b and interacting with crews and dispatchers.
All of this is just one man's opinion that's trying to find a niche after U. Good luck to everyone employed or furloughed. JR

Had I known...I would have gone to med school!

Most people I know (PIT) took the fulough...collected unemployment while I worked my ass off and now want to come back at full pay. Still others have moved several times in the last 10 years to follow their job.

If you thought the company was going belly up then having to commute wouldn't have lasted very long...at least you would have been collecting a paycheck while you looked for another job. What I'm saying is.....If you were given a choice (and I realize a few were not) to go to another station but chose the furlough then live with YOUR decision....don't blame anyone else.

Don't get me wrong...PHL SUCKS...but it beats diggin' ditches.
Coming back at full pay is the ONLY way that it ever was, and still is for every workgroup on the property with the exception of Fleet Svc. Believe me, furlough and unemployment are not the "Free ride gift" that most assume they are. Being furloughed is bad enough, and not being albe to return at the same rate of pay you left with is a double whammy. I knew many over the years that were furloughed while I worked my Butt off as well, and I never begrudged them for coming back when able at top rate.

What I do not "get" is why after years and years of being crapped on why people don't move on???

I mean what is sooooo great about being a T/A, G/A, FSA or whatever? It's an hourly wage job and frankly other industries pay better, have better benefits, better work hours, etc etc.

Heck a halfway decent Waiter or Waitress can earn as much if not more than most who work the ramp, gate or ticket couinters.

So what exactly is the allure?
Please remember that many of us took any Airline job because we had liked the industry. I was around the business since I was a kid, and was thrilled to get on board when my opportunity came. My starting wage was just above $6 an hour at the time. The higher wages came my way in due time. As posted above, once you put 25+ years in at a company and your are between 40-50 years of age, there isn't much out there for you. This is one of the few industries that you can have lots of experience in that is worthless once you leave. If I go to another Airline with my time and experience, they will start me off at the same rate as some kid off the street who knows nothing. Sad, but true.

Believe me, furlough and unemployment are not the "Free ride gift" that most assume they are. Being furloughed is bad enough, and not being albe to return at the same rate of pay you left with is a double whammy. I knew many over the years that were furloughed while I worked my Butt off as well, and I never begrudged them for coming back when able at top rate.

Let me clarify, I believe the "first day pay" rule is unfair.
I don't begrudge any one who comes back...and we have had some come back at full pay.
My beef is with those who given the opportunity to follow their job said good riddance to a sinking ship. Now that things are looking up and their new job stinks they are suddenly willing to relocate/commute. But it is too late and it is eveyone's fault but their own.

Latest posts