34million Profit

a profit! well this is good news, so many had been calling for a MASSIVE loss, and it just didnt come to bear. Also intresting is that this qtrs NET was 21 Million higher than without any governement aid. (one time reimbursements)

you the employees made this happen. While it is only one qtr of profit, kudos to you all.

:up:

A small profit is shown in the strongest qtr. and you folks act like you're out of the woods. The service standards of UAIR have dropped to depressing levels. Dirty planes, poor in-flight selections (I didn't say FAs) and scheduling that is most often inconvenient for the business traveler.

delldude said:
well,now that we've shown a profit..i guess its time to file BK.
This is no joking matter, I've told you over and over and over that its prepackaged and the PAIN will be immense if you don't participate. ;)

Yes, it is good news regarding the second quarter results but I don't think we should be fooled into thinking all is rosey. The 3rd and 4th quarters will surely show losses and the company will lose money for the entire year. Therefore, the cost cutting measures are still VERY much needed and urgent!

...and if they could sell 4 a/c in each quarter, that won't hurt numbers either. Without pawning the planes, it would still be a loss.

Unfortunately, I think some of you thinking the worst is over missed this part:

However, the second quarter of 2003 included some significant unusual items, primarily a $214 million reimbursement from the Transportation Security Administration under the 2003 Emergency Wartime Supplemental Appropriations Act.

At the risk of over-simplifying, a $34M profit minus a one-time $214M reimbursement equals a $180M loss without the government reimbursement. In the strongest quarter.

Actually, if I understand the 2003 reimbursement from the government, if we didn't get it, 2Q 2003 would have been alot worse and the swing to profitability would have looked alot better compared to last year (greater than $21M) right?

SalesGuyCCY said:
Actually, if I understand the 2003 reimbursement from the government, if we didn't get it, 2Q 2003 would have been alot worse and the swing to profitability would have looked alot better compared to last year (greater than $21M) right?
Yes, that's my understanding. But our 'usual suspects' have yet to do their review of this quarter's 'unusual items.'