55 PIT F/As Displaced

What this is degenerating into is another arguement between PIT & PHL-which is better?
What probably scares PIT folk is that there is no family there. I've gotten the sense that PIT would find PHL as forgeign as New York or Los Angeles.

Anyone from New York or Los Angeles finds PHL something akin to Mars. It's not unique to people from PIT.

I am also guessing that the cost of living outside this country's most "livibable city" has actually risen during the last few years.

And this means, what?

We all make the same money and am amazed that everyone is not living in Corapolis. Someone from PIT told me once"they don't travel well". I think this is manifesting itself.

People from PIT don't travel well, eh? That's interesting. Ever seen a Steeler away game?

All of this pumping for Philadelphia is not really necessary. It portends that the city is in dire need of exuberant support to sell itself. It is not.

Great post.

I'm tired of the constant bashing of my home city. People will say rude things about Philly, usually with a trace of racism I might add, then you ask where they live and they live in some podunk place. You're just staring at them like, you live in Hooterville and you're downing my city? Keep in mind that just because YOU commute and YOU think you don't like the City of Brotherly Love doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. I don't want to live in Hooterville but if its your thing, good for you. I'll wish ya the best for your flight out of F as I get in my car, get home within minutes and enjoy living in a thriving city. Visit sometime, go to Pats for a cheesesteak or catch an Eagles game. Eat at Le Bec Fin or see the orchestra at the Kimmel Center.

Don't wanna live there? Commute and shut up. Well over half the airline has been doing it for years. I don't remember anyone boo-hooing or questioning staffing numbers when my ass, and thousands of others, were booted out of multiple bases and off the property. Nothing ever affects our flight attendant group as a whole, unless its happening to them they couldn't care less. Then when it happens to them its an outrage, shock and awe, burn it down.

And yes, what most consider Center City itself is very safe. Theres some bad areas in the city just like anywhere else. Now, across the river, Camden, thats the murder capitol. Hard to defend Camden...

PIT has been and will continue to be OVERSTAFFED even after the displacement. (Reserve factor around 32% if memory serves me correct).THIS displacement should be treated no differently than ANY other that has been completed. This is the FOURTH round of displacements OUT of PIT since 2001......what gets me is when the "Junior" people in the base got their walking papers so to speak, the more tenured employees had a "oh well attitude" and didn't blink an eye over what was going on AS LONG AS THEY WEREN'T AFFECTED. Now that they see THEIR NAME on "The LIST" they want to P*ss and Moan......and I am not buying it. What most of the OTHER bases want to know is WHY are they keeping all that dead weight sitting around at 32%? (I feel for anyone regardless of seniority that has to deal with the disruption and uncertainties that comes with being uprooted but after seeing MIA/SYR/GSO/SAN/SFO/LAX/BWI domiciles CLOSED, what makes PIT feel they are so "SPECIAL".) :down:
When the displacements were frist announced, F/As in PIT were not happy but we knew that it was coming. What DID make us p*ss and moan was the letter from Kirby and how it was handled. His letter went on and on about how they would not disrupt the lives of the F/As in CLT--how CLT F/As had made such sacrifices, etc, etc...oh and bay the way PIT will still have their displacements. The way that the whole matter was handled was TERRIBLE and was yet another HUGE blunder on our esteemed leader's part. If they had come out and said ooops, we screwed up the numbers and are now rescinding the displacements from CLT then most of us would have been OK with it because we are overstaffed...however, as stated above, it was insulting to PIT in the way it was handled.
I have spoken to quite a few F/As who were displaced in the previous rounds before this last one from PIT. Some were very snotty saying "well, you didn't stand up for us when we were getting displaced." and I told them that the displacement was not handled this way or we would have.
Scott Kirby's letter was insulting and very disrespectful. In addition, our arguement was that if both CLT and PIT will be overstaffed from June 1- January 1 2008 as Mike Finn said then why are they letting 10 year F/As stay in their base while displacing the more senior 18+ year F/As? Well, as we all know with what happened with the pilots and pass riding, DOH and seniority mean nothing to our management. Our arguement was that if both bases were overstaffed then go by seniority until CLT gets their time back in January 2008 and then displace.

I hate to say it but when the other dispalcements occurred, the situation was different and PIT was then the only base overstaffed. Now they have two...granted PIT is more heavily overstaffed but CLT is still over and they are not taking that into consideration.

As far as keeping PIT at a 32% RSV factor, I would prefer to see it balanced like all the other bases....instead it's like they are amputating fingers, toes and limbs on displacement at a time. I was in GSO up until a few months before they closed it and it's not pretty to watch a base dwindle.

Just get it done already and quit calling me at 5 am to cover a BOS, LGA, PHL or DCA out of base trips because the base balancing formula that the company uses just doesn't work with this F*-it, bucket system. Keep in mind though that if they do reduce PIT by 12% down from 32% to 20% then all those people will be going to other bases and bumping those with 20 years or less down a few notches...June secondary lines in PIT stopped at 1983 with 24 yr. F/As on RSV....we all come to your base, you might not be flying what nice trips--if any--- you have left in your base.
Just my opinion......breathe deep and get rid of your anger.

I have spoken to quite a few F/As who were displaced in the previous rounds before this last one from PIT. Some were very snotty saying "well, you didn't stand up for us when we were getting displaced." and I told them that the displacement was not handled this way or we would have.

I'm sorry. I find this very hard to believe. Almost every year of my employment here I've been displaced or furloughed. Were you keeping up on how we were "handled?" Last year was three displacements within one year, two base closures, and finally the shutdown of my entire division. How much do you think that sucked at the very end? Trust me, some of the letters we have gotten from Crystal City were real corkers- cold, ignorant and uncaring. Never an apology or a thank you, and certainly no second look at things. In my time here they have never known how to staff the airline, the numbers are always wrong or an overreaction in one way or the other. It was awful every time and I dont remember any sympathy or even a kind word from our co-workers when they were on our flights.

Again, I guess things are only an outrage if they are happening to one directly.

I'm sorry. I find this very hard to believe. Almost every year of my employment here I've been displaced or furloughed. Were you keeping up on how we were "handled?" Last year was three displacements within one year, two base closures, and finally the shutdown of my entire division. How much do you think that sucked at the very end? Trust me, some of the letters we have gotten from Crystal City were real corkers- cold, ignorant and uncaring. Never an apology or a thank you, and certainly no second look at things. In my time here they have never known how to staff the airline, the numbers are always wrong or an overreaction in one way or the other. It was awful every time and I dont remember any sympathy or even a kind word from our co-workers when they were on our flights.

Again, I guess things are only an outrage if they are happening to one directly.

I don't know where you got displaced from but I will tell you that in PIT with the last 2 displacements, Mark Gentile had trip sheets sent from other bases and tried to help as much as possible. In addition, all I can say is that you must never have flown with me because I have always felt bad about how screwed up this airline is---not just for myself but for everyone and have made it known that I think the whole thing sucks...not just now but every time there was a PIT displacement.
Also, as far as "things are only an outrage if they are happening to one directly," I don't happen to be getting displaced and I still wrote letters and made phone calls regarding Scott Kirby's a$$anine letter. You might find it interesting to know that the at first PIT displacement meeting with Shamblin and Finn, out of the 23 F/As that attended only 2 were getting displaced....of course most were out flying due to the Easter mini-meltdown. Also,during the 2nd meeting, out of the 26 F/As that attended in PIT only 4 were getting displaced. The F/As that took the time to attend the meetings care about the base as a whole. I'm sorry that when you got displaced, no one gave you "any sympathy or even a kind word from our co-workers when they were on our flights." The crappy management style at this company has obviously rubbed off on those people you encountered.

In my time here they have never known how to staff the airline, the numbers are always wrong or an overreaction in one way or the other. It was awful every time and I dont remember any sympathy or even a kind word from our co-workers when they were on our flights.

sky high states: What happened to you, has basically happened to ALL OF US.
GSO, SYR, LAX, SAN, SFO, MIA, ORF, BWI BASE CLOSINGS created havoc for thousands. Senior people went hunting for the most commutable trips in what bases were left. People were knocked back on Reserve Status. Early 90's, we lost our duty rig: 1 for 3 1/2 due to the me-too clause with the pilots. Every contract for the past 25 years, has had some form of concessionary agreement within it. Gone, Trips missed for vacation. Lower rates of pay...etc. etc.
We've marched in our CHAOS t-shirts system wide in 2000, showing our outrage, at once again, poor treatment by this company.
How can you show sympathy to someone when YOU, YOURSELF, feel victimized for years! WE'RE BOTH, CLUBMEMBERS.

ONLY stating opinions

Keep in mind though that if they do reduce PIT by 12% down from 32% to 20% then all those people will be going to other bases and bumping those with 20 years or less down a few notches...June secondary lines in PIT stopped at 1983 with 24 yr. F/As on RSV....we all come to your base, you might not be flying what nice trips--if any--- you have left in your base.
Well all I can say is we will welcome you with open arms-just like every other senior base that closed before PIT.
The dilution of PHL's seniority is a drop in the bucket compared to what has come before. If I get your tone right-all I can add is enjoy commuting. It really isn't that bad. Not everyone here is junior to you.

sky high states: What happened to you, has basically happened to ALL OF US.
GSO, SYR, LAX, SAN, SFO, MIA, ORF, BWI BASE CLOSINGS created havoc for thousands. Senior people went hunting for the most commutable trips in what bases were left. People were knocked back on Reserve Status. Early 90's, we lost our duty rig: 1 for 3 1/2 due to the me-too clause with the pilots. Every contract for the past 25 years, has had some form of concessionary agreement within it. Gone, Trips missed for vacation. Lower rates of pay...etc. etc.
We've marched in our CHAOS t-shirts system wide in 2000, showing our outrage, at once again, poor treatment by this company.
How can you show sympathy to someone when YOU, YOURSELF, feel victimized for years! WE'RE BOTH, CLUBMEMBERS.
ONLY stating opinions

Thats the point... I think we're all kind of looking at the PIT displacements thinking, yes, thats sucks, but welcome to the club... nothing new to most everyone. Find me the rare person whos been in one base thier whole career.

I was there in the piss green shirt in 2000. I wish we'd do that again.

Back