New route continues Southwest's Pittsburgh expansion

Back before Continental pulled out of HOU. The shortest flight was from HOU-IAH ;)

Back on topic, given the choice between a full sized jet and a prop or regional jet, i would choice the full sized jet everytime! US Airways is still trying to convinced themselves that props are better than full sized jets i see. I doubt the public is buying it.

I think the shortest used to be a UA flight from SFO to OAK.

Pre-dereg, AA flew the same hop, but 'westbound' only: PHX-OAK-SFO. 707 or 727...

Back in the ol' CAB days, there were a number of such 'tags' besides SFO-OAK: IAD-DCA and DAL-GSW (before it was shut down circa 1971 to make room for DFW) come to mind...

Back before Continental pulled out of HOU. The shortest flight was from HOU-IAH ;)

Well until they shut down the route the shortest scheduled airline flight in the world was Pacific Island Aviation's SPN-TIQ route. 5 minutes 40 seconds wheels up to wheels down.

Two years ago I flew JST-AOO on a B1900 (Colgan?). 28 miles!

I could have taken the JST stop (from PIT) and reached AOO three hours earlier, but just for kicks, I made it a connection. I wonder how many people can say they've changed planes in JST. This means I also got an extra segment and 500 miles credit.

In fact, I had to tell the agent I was there because the incoming plane was going to AOO and not continuing to PIT. They weren't expecting anyone to board the plane.

I checked in at a kiosk, so not only can I say that I changed planes in JST, I can also say that I have a kiosk-printed boarding pass for a non-kiosk airport.

Ah the relatively good old days on US Airways :D

PI also used to fly GSO-INT, which was a short ride also. I rode J/S on that trip once, and I think that the crew did leave the gear down. As for the short DH-8 flights, RDG-ABE was shorter than RDG-AVP by about 10 minutes. The DH-8 also flew PHL-ABE in 16-17 minutes many times... :rolleyes:

Not quite as short, but BA used to fly EWR-PHL with a 747-400! Of course that was a continuation of LHR-EWR-PHL, so no pax actually boarded in EWR.

PI also used to fly GSO-INT, which was a short ride also. I rode J/S on that trip once, and I think that the crew did leave the gear down. As for the short DH-8 flights, RDG-ABE was shorter than RDG-AVP by about 10 minutes. The DH-8 also flew PHL-ABE in 16-17 minutes many times... :rolleyes:

I've flown it both ways between INT and GSO in a B-727.

I MISS IT!!!

A320 Driver :(

Two years ago I flew JST-AOO on a B1900 (Colgan?). 28 miles!

The same thing BLF-BKW on a Colgan B1900. IIRC, 34 miles. I've done it a few times given they fly BLF-BKW-IAD.

Now if we could only convince Colgan to fly to CLT instead of IAD out of here. :down:

The same thing BLF-BKW on a Colgan B1900. IIRC, 34 miles. I've done it a few times given they fly BLF-BKW-IAD.

Now if we could only convince Colgan to fly to CLT instead of IAD out of here. :down:

Isn't that because of the EAS contract?

There used to be a commuter airline that flew between PHL and Wings Field in Blue Bell, PA, only a couple of miles north-northwest.

They operated a B-N Islander out of a gate that was along the corridor between C and D Concourses (which later became the PHL Airport tour group staging room).

At one time, it was listed as the shortest US domestic airline route.

Back