7 3 7 - Max.

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
(This question could also have been posted on the AA, or UA forum as well )

Q. With the covid-19 affecting Boeing (layoffs), and everywhere else in the country, does anyone think that 'this' will push the 737Max debacle back even further ?

Good question Bears. Pretty sure the Max's are the least of everyone's worries right now. It may give Boeing extra time to get the Max's approvals and certificates done, but, we will have way more AOG than just the Max's by summer.

I think the 737MAX is still a big worry for Boeing. Between the issue with the virus and getting certication of the Max I think the MAX is one thing they can fix and help their bottom line, or at least slow down the bleeding.

I think the 737MAX is still a big worry for Boeing. Between the issue with the virus and getting certication of the Max I think the MAX is one thing they can fix and help their bottom line, or at least slow down the bleeding.
Sorry bout that. No so big a worry for the airlines as far as getting them back into the air. Yes, Boeing is still worried. I should have clarified that better than saying everybody.

Work on recertification was still underway two weeks ago.

There was some thought that it would be back in operation by the summer, and if airlines are truly going into a cash conservation mode having a 20% more fuel efficient airplane could have a huge impact.

At an employee townhall last week, Kirby hinted UA would take delivery of the remaining Max’s and park older A320’s if needed.

That would make sense. We might do the same for the remaining flights to save more on the fuel. Penny pinching will be the new norm for a while to come.

MAX will prove to be a financial angel for the airlines. Not all the 2019-2020 losses will have to be charged to empty airplanes.

In fact, if the MAX never gets certified or even flies again, it will be a boon to the airlines that have them parked in the back lot.

Could have posted in AA forum, but does just as well here.

Boeing gets ok from FAA to resume MAX testing. Article says Boeing hopes to have them in commercial use by "middle of the summer." Aside from the fact that July is the middle of the summer (in 2 more days), I think it is unwise to be overly confident and just put them back in use when they are ready to carry passengers. I don't think the PR issues will be settled by starting at "the middle of summer" and announcing a new deadline every time one is reached. Seems to me it would be better to just wait until Boeing can announce that the MAX goes into service "next Thursday" (or whenever) with 100% confidence that next Thursday is the actual date, not another target.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/28/business/boeing-737-max-test-flights-approved/index.html?bt_ee=mB/OiAXUIqRvyZJmXT9RFvdxzWOrbFxLTtfN7/I36M2+o0wZ3652Y1DGCro1z58N&bt_ts=1593432522567

Last edited:
Read that yesterday morning. Seems that this Max news as well as a double upgrade for SWA stock was key parts to the almost 8% increase in stock yesterday. Just hoping they are all correct. Southwest was one of the first airlines to consider testing passengers prior to boarding and will help to get passengers back in the air. Getting the Max's back in the air will assist in SWA keeping middle seats empty and distancing on the aircraft where they can add aircraft to support more passengers and STILL maintain the distancing and empty middle seats for however long needed to do so. Southwest will not go the path that 2 other airlines took and decided to no longer support the empty middle seats, they are now starting to pack them in and not enforcing wearing the mask once in the air where Southwest is. Could be the difference in passengers picking the airlines to come back to.

Is Boeing now making a move to stop saying Max and instead labeling it 737-8? Is this the start of calling the aircraft a different tag to stay away from all the negativity. Interesting how Boeing is now tagging the aircraft as 737-8, instead of Max 8. Also tagging 9 and 10 as 737-9 and 737-10. I smell the beginning of retagging instead of renaming...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/boeing-may-tackling-737-maxs-234044495.html

Ya, BUT WN already has 737-800's that do NOT have the engines as forward as the 'MAX' ???

Naming is actually similar to how they're handling the 787's -- there's a -8, -9, -10

Saw that at least one major was starting to do the newly discovered wiring AD in advance of getting an all-clear by October.

Ya, BUT WN already has 737-800's that do NOT have the engines as forward as the 'MAX' ???
The article is not talking about 800's. They are referring to Max 8's being called 737-8 now instead of Max 8. We don't call the 800's, -8's.
E's correct, they do have the 787 with the -8,-9,-10 so maybe they are just turning the Max into the -'s so to get further away from the Max name. Me personally, would recommend it. I think the general public would be more comfortable not being told they are getting on a Max bird.
Hopefully they get the bird cleared in Oct. we shall see.