767 gone BOS-LAX

Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Just checked my reservation for next week and noticed AA is discontinuing 767 BOS-LAX and replacing it with a 757. Very disappointing but not unexpected.

Josh

Just checked my reservation for next week and noticed AA is discontinuing 767 BOS-LAX and replacing it with a 757. Very disappointing but not unexpected.

Josh

Ahhh, correct me if I'm wrong but BOS/LAX has been a 757 for a while now.

When the 738's first showed up, didn't add a couple on BOS-SJC or BOS-LAX in off-hours?....
Plus BOS-SAN and BOS-SEA.

The OP has an inexplicable dislike for 757s. The days of widebodies on numerous domestic routes is long gone. Likewise, same thing on thin European routes, especially in the off-season.

Plus BOS-SAN and BOS-SEA.

The OP has an inexplicable dislike for 757s. The days of widebodies on numerous domestic routes is long gone. Likewise, same thing on thin European routes, especially in the off-season.

AA hasn't had BOS-SAN or SEA for several years, it's all through DFW/ORD or non-stop on Alaska/jetBlue 757s are among the worst in the AA fleet second the MD-80s. I actually vastly prefer the 737s as I find the seats more comfortable, quieter, and a modern interior.

Isn't the switch to 757 bad for employees? Fewer ground personnel required to handle the smaller aircraft, fewer FAs on board, lower purser pay rate for narrowbody, also pilot wages are lower too. Must be unpleasant for FAs too with smaller galleys, single aisle, and no crew rest seats...

Josh

AA hasn't had BOS-SAN or SEA for several years, it's all through DFW/ORD or non-stop on Alaska/jetBlue 757s are among the worst in the AA fleet second the MD-80s. I actually vastly prefer the 737s as I find the seats more comfortable, quieter, and a modern interior.
eolesen and I were talking about "when the 738s first showed up," not recently and not now. Please try to keep up with the conversation.

AA restored BOS-SAN three years ago for a short while in its attempt to battle B6; you may remember the quadruple mileage promo for BOS-SFO/LAX/SAN during the spring of 2009.

Edit: sorry about the typo (which should have been apparent from the first part of that last sentence).

eolesen and I were talking about "when the 738s first showed up," not recently and not now. Please try to keep up with the conversation.

AA restored BOS-SAN three years ago for a short while in its attempt to battle B6; you may remember the quadruple mileage promo for BOS-SFO/LAX/SAN during the spring of 1999.

AA had a mileage offer several years ago, certainly not in 1999 that I can remember. I can recall and offer circa 2008/2009 but don't know about 1999.

Josh

BOS - LAX doesn't warrant a widebody such as the 767. Single aisle such as the A320neo or 737max will proliferate sectors such as this in the future.

Josh

Plenty of other domestic routes like JFK-SAN, MIA-MCO, MIA-LAX, DFW-LAX and of course JFK-LAX/SFO still have 767s and sometimes even 777s. BOS is no small place and LAX is cornerstone for AA and widebody would be nice.

Josh

do you realize that the 767 in AA's configuration has one of the highest CASMs in the domestic US air carrier fleet? It doesn't make sense to put an expensive widebody in a heavy premium configuration on a route unless there is a very substantial amount of premium traffic. Even UA is backing off of the idea of a premium heavy configured 757 because the costs are just too high.
Given that the 767 fleet will likely be reduced in the near future, the chances are that AA will have even less widebody domestic routes....if the option is to fly a 767 on a transcon route with heavy low fare competition and an international route where there is a much higher percentage of premium passengers not subject to discounting at the same level, the int'l flight will win the use of the aircraft.
Remember that UA is getting rid of its 762s which don't generate sufficient revenue even in int'l ops given currrent costs (esp. fuel since the 762 and 763 have very similar costs but the 762 has lower revenue generating potential).
The widebody on domestic routes will become even more of a rarity.
Keep in mind that some widebody capacity is available "for free" given AA's strength in Latin America where int'l aircraft arrive in the a.m. and depart in the pm.... not all need to spend the day in maintenance.

Back