787's and a profit

The 787s themselves won't bring AA a profit, but it's a smart investment in an industry where the US-based players are getting their collective ass kicked by foreign carriers on almost any measure of service and product. The fuel efficiency will help keep costs down and let AA offer competitive fares on routes where DL and UA are flying 767s and burning gas.

I took it like the company knows the contract doesn't expire and they can live with what's in place now and will only offer worse terms. In times past, they'd wait until the contracts were settled until spending a bunch of money.

Regardless, all this is made possible by the dues we pay each month to our company union.

... but a plastic airplane? Oh well ...

"I don't care if it rains or freezes," ...
Ernie Marrs

I couldn't agree more....AA is in no hurry to settle any contract. They can go another year, maybe two...then when they decide to throw us a bone, there will be no RETRO pay and they essentially evaded any contract costs.

What a company......Just remember folks, the executive PUPS are contractual and we need to keep the "key" execs so they don't jump ship...

787 model/order/timing,...seriously, are we Really surprised ??

NO, of course not !

This is Just ANOTHER AA First, meaning that they couldn't have picked a BETTER time(as far as Boeing is concerned), to "help BOEING out", which as we ALL know, ultimately means...AA.."helping "AA" out" !!!

Since Boeing's got 3+ years to deliver the First 787-9, = AA highly likely "got them for a Song" !!!

Something else AA just showed the airline World(which WE already know), that AA's gonna' be around for a Loooooog time (that will be GOOD for those of us..retired, OR working, who will get "grandfathered" DB pensions)

Gotta' admit,...................."100" 787-9 order, is a SERIOUS friggin' order !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The LOVE/HATE relationship w/AA..continues :up: - :down:

I couldn't agree more....AA is in no hurry to settle any contract. They can go another year, maybe two...then when they decide to throw us a bone, there will be no RETRO pay and they essentially evaded any contract costs.

What a company......Just remember folks, the executive PUPS are contractual and we need to keep the "key" execs so they don't jump ship...

Careful how you attack the PUPs. They are as contractual as our pay is. That is a slippery slope to go down next time. Better idea is to not let it happen in the future - tie it to company profits.

Careful how you attack the PUPs. They are as contractual as our pay is. That is a slippery slope to go down next time. Better idea is to not let it happen in the future - tie it to company profits.
Yea and we saw how ironclad contracts are over the last five years. The PUPs should have gone the way of our doubletime, paid lunch, shift pay, longevity pay etc etc.

Oh puh-leeze. Nice try Spanky. CAL's executive bonuses were also contractual - and they CHOSE TO DEFER THEM in an effort to keep solidarity with the troops.

I don't give a rat's a$$ if they are contractual - if my company tells me we're "pulling together, winning together" - and then rewards themselves for the effort WE THE EMPLOYEES put in, they can go pound sand with their "contractual" bonuses. Arpey had a chance - a tremendous chance - to gain the trust of his employees by at least deferring his bonus, or sharing some of it with the folks that kept HIS company out of BK, but he chose not to.

Next.

Oh puh-leeze. Nice try Spanky. CAL's executive bonuses were also contractual - and they CHOSE TO DEFER THEM in an effort to keep solidarity with the troops.

I don't give a rat's a$$ if they are contractual - if my company tells me we're "pulling together, winning together" - and then rewards themselves for the effort WE THE EMPLOYEES put in, they can go pound sand with their "contractual" bonuses. Arpey had a chance - a tremendous chance - to gain the trust of his employees by at least deferring his bonus, or sharing some of it with the folks that kept HIS company out of BK, but he chose not to.

Next.

The folks at CO deferred and scored a big (if mostly symbolic) PR victory.

I think of the payouts in this sense: it's not so much to keep employees from leaving to other airlines, but leaving the industry entirely. Have you looked around lately? Airlines are, by and large, far from the best place to work right now. None can seem to turn a consistent profit, so what does that do for any equity options? Makes them worthless. A bonus or payout is the only other way to compensate and keep experienced people in the industry.

I realize many of you think that management is worthless and does nothing. In reality, those positions needs staffing and, if there were a mass exodus from the airline industry, where would the replacements come from? Who wants to work for an airline right now?

Anyone know what is happening with AA's bid to become Boeing's Gold Care Sevice provider? Or if any N. American airline got it instead?

Anyone know what is happening with AA's bid to become Boeing's Gold Care Sevice provider? Or if any N. American airline got it instead?

Selecting Asian and North American providers for Boeing's GoldCare maintenance programme for the 787 remains on the airframer's agenda, but the company is refraining from disclosing any timelines due to delays in delivery of the twinjet.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/...-providers.html

Probably better to focus on getting that plane in the air and then worrying about GoldCare later.

In North America, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines have bid to become the GoldCare maintenance provider.

Of these, American this week revealed a massive commitment for 787s. Delta will obtain 787s through its merger agreement with 787 order-holder Northwest Airlines. Management expects the merger deal to close by the end of the year.

United has not placed an order for 787s, although the carrier has previously said it is examining the type.

The Boeing spokesman says he is not aware of any changes to these three US carriers' bid for GoldCare work. What the 787 delays have allowed, however, is for the manufacturer to gain more 787 programme data and translate that information to GoldCare partners.

Latest posts