A pilot does...

You are not authorized nor trained to fix a plane. You can have an A&P if you dont use it or get training in a two year period it becomes void.

To narrow your statement............an A&P is NOT voided after 2 years of not "using" it or getting training. You can go years...........I did. And mine was never voided.

Better go check the FARs you have to undergo training within a 2 year period.

To narrow your statement............an A&P is NOT voided after 2 years of not "using" it or getting training. You can go years...........I did. And mine was never voided.

The FAA does not automatically send you something in the mail. They do not know you were not active. You do need to read the FARs though. Unless they have changed the license is not valid. This is a very vague issue with the FAA. Most will tell you with some monitored work experience and/or training that your ticket will be valid once again.

§ 65.15 Duration of certificates.
(a) Except for repairman certificates, a certificate or rating issued under this part is effective until it is surrendered, suspended, or revoked.
(B) Unless it is sooner surrendered, suspended, or revoked, a repairman certificate is effective until the holder is relieved from the duties for which the holder was employed and certificated.
© The holder of a certificate issued under this part that is suspended, revoked, or no longer effective shall return it to the Administrator.
[Doc. No. 22052, 47 FR 35693, Aug. 16, 1982]
§ 65.83 Recent experience requirements.
A certificated mechanic may not exercise the privileges of his certificate and rating unless, within the preceding 24 months—
(a) The Administrator has found that he is able to do that work; or
(B) He has, for at least 6 months—
(1) Served as a mechanic under his certificate and rating;
(2) Technically supervised other mechanics;
(3) Supervised, in an executive capacity, the maintenance or alteration of aircraft; or
(4) Been engaged in any combination of paragraph (B) (1), (2), or (3) of this section.

Your license is not voided by not having been working. Yes, you have to meet certain requirements to meet the experience requirements.

Good job! That is it. Normally your ticket can be brought back to an active status with working under someone's direction and/or training.

I'm baffled why pilots are not considered exempt employees given their skills and salaries. Then, this whole thread wouldn't exist.
"Exempt" from what?

If you are talking the FLSA (federal wage and hour law), I am pretty sure most pilots make more than $5.15/hr., even if you count all duty time.

(And even under the FLSA, time spent sleeping in a hotel away from home is not compensable time.)

"Exempt" from what?

If you are talking the FLSA (federal wage and hour law), I am pretty sure most pilots make more than $5.15/hr., even if you count all duty time.

(And even under the FLSA, time spent sleeping in a hotel away from home is not compensable time.)

No, exempt means "salaried". Meaning, you would just make a set amount per year, not an hourly wage. If the company for whatever reason did not use you to capacity, you'd still make the same amount.

No, exempt means "salaried". Meaning, you would just make a set amount per year, not an hourly wage. If the company for whatever reason did not use you to capacity, you'd still make the same amount.
How is that better than an hourly pay system for pilots? (Serious question -- I'm not trying to start an argument, and if there is a good argument that it would be better, then I agree it should be done. Just trying to understand how that would improve things for pilots and management.)

And if it is good for pilots, wouldn't the same logic make it a good idea for ALL employees?

Seems like you would run into problems ensuring everyone works / flies the exact same number of hours per year.

Hmmm, a lot of the original post holds true for flight attendants too, last year I made 20,000 dollars, not 150,000 .....

Ahhh,..yes! What's in a name? On these forums one can use whatever name one desires .... so I read little into what I see. "tech" is not very specific ... but UAL is! So what'cha doing over here "stirring the pot", when there is so much going on at UAL?? Just curious ... no offense intended!

"Retired and Screwed"??? Well, not to much lately ..... not like the "Good Ole' Days"!!!! :lol:

"Pissed"? .... yeah, more frequently now! Hope it's not a Prostrate problem!

2B
2B,

Excellent post! :up:

To date, UAL pilots have not posted the nonsense that I read here or I would certainly be there giving them 'what for' as well. The havoc (financially and inflicting direct employee hardships) caused by the ‘work to the rule’ has assisted in the downward pressure of all employee groups (and eventually the pilots).

Take the 2000 ‘summer of love’ by UAL ALPA as an example and learn from it.

Take the 'capitulation' since then and learn from that as well.

Take care of that 'prostate', we only have one.. :p

B) UT

The reserve sitting by the pool reading Maxim - He's getting paid
The pilot walking off with his stuff after apologizing for a mechanical - He's getting paid
The pilot sitting on the ramp for 9 hours holding 150 people hostage instead of bringing out airstairs and a bus - Boy is he getting paid

There has never been sympathy for pilots and there never will be. Save your breath.

The pilot group have my utmost respect. They flew me safely in the a/c spaning my 25-year career. Whether it was a blizzard, freezing ice, thunderstorms and down pours, hurricane winds, inflight engine failures or inflight mechanical...we got to our destination with no event. They deserve the 6-figure income, and currently, the majority are grossly UNDERPAID for the responsiblity they carry every single moment they are flying.

My hats off to the pilot professtion!

You people sound like you are constipated. Get some ExLax, do the duty, wipe and get off the pity potty...

How is that better than an hourly pay system for pilots? (Serious question -- I'm not trying to start an argument, and if there is a good argument that it would be better, then I agree it should be done. Just trying to understand how that would improve things for pilots and management.)

And if it is good for pilots, wouldn't the same logic make it a good idea for ALL employees?

Seems like you would run into problems ensuring everyone works / flies the exact same number of hours per year.

I would say it's just customary. I know CPA's who are paid by the hour.

Back