A330-200 PHL-LAX

It' LAX not SFO and it doesn't start until 3/25/18.

Well aware, perhaps you misread the post or I was unclear.

When PHL Airport put out the news release and the A332 service PHL-LAX-PHL was NOT loaded into Sabre, it was just LUS A321 with a single LAA 738 in the mix. This of course is likely subject to change.

The SFO service, however, is currently operating.

Josh

Josh, what about the MIA-LAX 777? There is a listing over on the right from a newbie regarding the 777, but there's no thread posted that I can find. I take it the 777 is being taken off of the MIA-LAX run. When?

Josh, what about the MIA-LAX 777? There is a listing over on the right from a newbie regarding the 777, but there's no thread posted that I can find. I take it the 777 is being taken off of the MIA-LAX run. When?

Per Sabre last day is 10/28 which is the same day LAX-SYD gets downgauge from 77W to 789. Usually widebody service comes and goes in this market, and bulls up in the winter but for at least the past decade there has always been at least one daily 777.

Josh

PHL Airport reporting it starting March 25th:

http://www.phl.org/Press Releases/AA press release Oct 4.pdf

Effective today (10/5/17) one SFO frequency will be operated with 332 equipment rest are LUS trashy A321 with no power or IFE.

Shame the 77W MIA-LAX is going away, but this is probably a better use of the spare capacity than PHL-BOS like before.

Josh
I would much rather ride a 321 east or ours than that cramped POS 73!!

Reactions: Claxon
Good thing that trash bird 73 is not on it. Talk about cramped. And most passengers bring their own entertainment and power these days anyway.
PHL Airport reporting it starting March 25th:

http://www.phl.org/Press Releases/AA press release Oct 4.pdf

Effective today (10/5/17) one SFO frequency will be operated with 332 equipment rest are LUS trashy A321 with no power or IFE.

Shame the 77W MIA-LAX is going away, but this is probably a better use of the spare capacity than PHL-BOS like before.

Josh

Good thing that trash bird 73 is not on it. Talk about cramped. And most passengers bring their own entertainment and power these days anyway.

Um no. Legacy US fleet is trash and does have far inferior appointments and amenities in passenger cabins across the entire fleet. You should see the shock & awe LUS FFs have when they get on an LAA 777-300ER or A321T.

The LUS aircraft are barebones because your management team are experts at courting the bottom of the barrel low value Basic Economy pax. And as the company has been making a solid evolution towards that mindset, amenities continued to be pulled from the LAA side including the forthcoming removal of seatback IFE on the LAA Airbus (non-321T) and 737-800 fleets.

Today approximately 100 737-800s have seatback IFE (code 73A and ship 3LC+ in DECS) the rest all have power and overhead monitors along with adjustable headrests and many also feature the Boeing Sky Interior. All of this is slated to be cut in favor of the bottom of market dense configuration the company is transitioning towards.

Josh

Here is some good in flight entertainment...
It might explain why Parker and the america west bottom barrel model prevails to this day.

I roamed the internet for articles that might tell us who Thomas Gary Smith was and why he would have been mentioned in the "Drug Tug" case

On January 10, 1988 The Arizona Republic ran a story on fugitives and mentioned that Thomas Gary Smith aka George Earl Hannah was convicted in Massachusetts in 1978 for smuggling marijuana. He disappeared and next turned up in Michigan as Thomas Gary Vance. He was arrested in Sacramento California December 3,1987 in connection with a conspiracy charge. Three America West Pilots, Earl Patrick Thurston, Robert J Russell, and Carl Joe Webster part of this conspiracy which took place in 1985.

This smuggling operation was linked to Jaime Bermudez-Botero. These pilots were charged with using a DC-6 aircraft to fly marijuana into Texas, and Arizona from Columbia. The aircraft was registered to Desert Petroleum. The principle in Desert Petroleum was "Ralph Carmichael" which was an alias used by Thurston. The three pilots were released on bail, but Smith who was also arrested in this case was not given bail. July 15, 1989, Helmut B Bubbel, the owner of the Pump House Restaurant in Fairbanks, Alaska was charged as a co-conspirator. Bubbel's attorney, Edward Novak said his client had an outstanding military record and hadn't done anything wrong in his entire life. He was former Vice President of the Fairbanks Convention and Visitors Center. He was charged with meeting with Smith and Thurston to plan the purchase of the plane for $ 315,000.00. It was speculated that Helmut Bubbel had been, perhaps was a CIA operative.

Before Thomas Gary Smith and Helmet Bubbel's trial began in June of 1990, the three America West Pilots had accepted plea bargains that required them to be witnesses for the prosecution. It was decided that Smith was the key member of the plot. Smith's attorney was Bernie Segal from San Francisco. Prosecutors said Smith headed an arm of an international marijuana smuggling operation that was paying for Smith's defense and the prosecutors said that Segal had a conflict of interest. Segal moved to remove himself, but his request was not granted.

Earl Thurston, a former Vice President of America West was to be the government's star witness against Thomas Gary Smith The Judge was US District Judge Paul Rosenblatt. The three pilots, Thurston, Russell , and Wobser said they became part of the conspiracy because it was big money and a bit of adventure. All three were founding pilots of America West. Thurston, a Vice President, said the scheme took them from Thailand, Canada, Mexico, Columbia and Arube. Thurston had been a pilot with the CIA Airlines Air America. The three pilots were sentenced to two years and testified against Smith who was convicted. The Bureau of Prisons web site now says that the three pilots were unknown to the prison system and were never incarcerated. Smith, who was convicted, was sentenced to 25 years in prison. Bernard Segal said Smith was just a middle man and prosecutors wanted to punish him because he would not cooperate.

Last edited:
Um no. Legacy US fleet is trash and does have far inferior appointments and amenities in passenger cabins across the entire fleet. You should see the shock & awe LUS FFs have when they get on an LAA 777-300ER or A321T.

The LUS aircraft are barebones because your management team are experts at courting the bottom of the barrel low value Basic Economy pax. And as the company has been making a solid evolution towards that mindset, amenities continued to be pulled from the LAA side including the forthcoming removal of seatback IFE on the LAA Airbus (non-321T) and 737-800 fleets.

Today approximately 100 737-800s have seatback IFE (code 73A and ship 3LC+ in DECS) the rest all have power and overhead monitors along with adjustable headrests and many also feature the Boeing Sky Interior. All of this is slated to be cut in favor of the bottom of market dense configuration the company is transitioning towards.

Josh
Those early LUS birds were flying before 9-11. About the same time hundreds of those cream puff MD80s were sporting around AA. Talk about a POS.
At the time, there was no comparing them.

Those early LUS birds were flying before 9-11. About the same time hundreds of those cream puff MD80s were sporting around AA. Talk about a POS.
At the time, there was no comparing them.

Well the S80s are going away next year and the remaining frames are among the final produced roughly the age of the oldest LAA 738 ship N901AN/3AA.

The S80s have been completely gone from MIA since March 2005 (where I mostly fly from) and BOS since 2010 today they’re just to small insignificant markets from DFW/ORD that will likely continue to transition to Eagle plus about five frames RON at STL for the TW mechs to work, don’t know how much longer that line station will operate.

Josh

Josh
US a/c were upgraded before the merger with AA and even after so the notion that LUS metal are trash is just not true in my opin Ive flown on LUS metal since the merger and it was very comfy compared to years past I do not know why you have to trash talk LUS but back in the 2000s we fought for survival and won that battle Not sure what beef you've had but you have almost or zero positive things to say about LUS yet the new AA is run by FORMER US/HP mgmt. team and since then aircraft are getting upgraded across both fleets Also everything else has come up too the lowest crappy fares are for those who want to buy it knowing they cant have carry on or however it is set up but it is still there to derive the likes of Spirit and Frontier pax away from those crappy carriers

If youre truly unhappy with AA then why not fly DL or UA or SW Ive been on all of those myself and the service is the same to me getting from point A to my destination

Well the S80s are going away next year and the remaining frames are among the final produced roughly the age of the oldest LAA 738 ship N901AN/3AA.

The S80s have been completely gone from MIA since March 2005 (where I mostly fly from) and BOS since 2010 today they’re just to small insignificant markets from DFW/ORD that will likely continue to transition to Eagle plus about five frames RON at STL for the TW mechs to work, don’t know how much longer that line station will operate.

Josh

Bob Cramdall Crandall had already set AA on the path to dominance and low cost mindset. He ordered hundreds of MD 80 s and convinced the workforce to throw new workers under the bus with a B Scale. Passengers were forced to endure this tubular hell for decades, as other carriers copied his mass market mentality.
Got to give the man credit. He could actually run an airline, while his peers took the low road at Eastern and Continental.

Josh

Josh, I wouldn't bet the rent money on the demise date of the S80s if I were you. Some were recalled from the desert to serve what would have been American Eagle routes if Republic, et al could hire the pilots they need to meet their contractual obligations to AA. However, with the mainline airlines (including AA) snapping up all of the available pilots for a lot more money than the regionals can pay, I don't think this problem is going away any time soon.

Last edited: