AA building more Miami's

Just another slant in the rumor mill.........a pilot told me just last week that AA had decided to purchase an aircraft from Bombardier and that the order has already been placed.

Personally, I'm not familiar enough with Bombardier to know what they have available in a 100-seat jet. Anybody?

Alot of pilots run their mouths about ridiculous rumors heard 5th hand from someone else. That pilot doesn't know squat and the rumor probably came from a 23 year old Eagle FA in between conversations about who the Bachelorette was going to pick or the winners of Dancing with the 3rd rate has been Stars.

The EMB-190/195 can break 100 seats I think. A different C-Series from the Canucks is the possible game changer with a fuel efficient engine.

The biggest factor with AA flying anything more than 99 seats isn't APA, it's with APFA and the demographics of their group.

I'm still waiting on the Star-Telegram,they are usually the first to know.....LOL ....The membership never receives contract news until they print it.

Alot of pilots run their mouths about ridiculous rumors heard 5th hand from someone else. That pilot doesn't know squat and the rumor probably came from a 23 year old Eagle FA in between conversations about who the Bachelorette was going to pick or the winners of Dancing with the 3rd rate has been Stars.

The EMB-190/195 can break 100 seats I think. A different C-Series from the Canucks is the possible game changer with a fuel efficient engine.

The biggest factor with AA flying anything more than 99 seats isn't APA, it's with APFA and the demographics of their group.
And what does the APFA have to do with it?

And what does the APFA have to do with it?

3 FA's over 99 seats. Last time the issue came up over flying a smaller airplane, APA offered close to Comair hourly rates, dropped our drawers is an accurate term. APFA said no deal, they won't cut their pay to
fly it. 3 AA FA's with 20 years seniority, vacation and sick leave compared to other LCC's flying them is a big number. The pilots also have a difference, but the demographics in a few years will run in the companys favor for a long time with pilot retiirements. We don't fly to 75.

3 FA's over 99 seats. Last time the issue came up over flying a smaller airplane, APA offered close to Comair hourly rates, dropped our drawers is an accurate term. APFA said no deal, they won't cut their pay to
fly it. 3 AA FA's with 20 years seniority, vacation and sick leave compared to other LCC's flying them is a big number. The pilots also have a difference, but the demographics in a few years will run in the companys favor for a long time with pilot retiirements. We don't fly to 75.

When was this (the last time)? According to rumors, we will be hiring up to 1400 FA's next year. We will be seeing quite a bit of attrition as well. They can have the 6 leg a day flying on the 100 seater. A 20 year FA would not be flying such trips in my opinion.

I wonder if the FA's that work till 75 and then die after their first week of retirement cost a lot less than the pilots lump sum they get when they retire?

I do agree with the APFA. I will not work any less to fly a 100 seater anyway.

No, this is not correct. 3 f/as are not required (FAA) until the seat count is 101. The FAA requirement is 1 f/a for every 50 seats or portion thereof. 1-50 seats, 1 f/a. 51-100 seats, 2 f/as. 101-150 seats, 3 f/as. ETC, ETC. AFAIK, the f/a CBA does not have any minimum staffing requirements on domestic except in cases where meals are served in coach--which is no domestic flight these days, I think. Food for Sale does not constitute a coach meal service.

They can have the 6 leg a day flying on the 100 seater
Actually, if you were around when we had the F100, it was no more legs/day than the S80. It had 100 seats and two f/as. But, flying into and out of DFW, ORD, and LGA does not make 6 legs/day possible because of the duty day length restrictions in the CBA. There weren't that many fewer seats, and it was impossible to turn them much faster than a S80. Also, we used them for flying such as DFW-MDW. With legs that long, you can't get more than 4 legs/day which we do now on the S80.

Actually, if you were around when we had the F100, it was no more legs/day than the S80. It had 100 seats and two f/as. But, flying into and out of DFW, ORD, and LGA does not make 6 legs/day possible because of the duty day length restrictions in the CBA. There weren't that many fewer seats, and it was impossible to turn them much faster than a S80. Also, we used them for flying such as DFW-MDW. With legs that long, you can't get more than 4 legs/day which we do now on the S80.
I was around for the F100. LGA. We made many 4 to 5 legs a day in and out of YYZ. 6 is a stretch. What's your point anyway?

I flew the F-100 when we had them probably more than the S80. We never had a 5 or 6 leg day. Out of ORD we were doing all of New York State (Syracuse, Buffalo, White Plains, Rochester, Stewart-Newburg.) These weren't short hops back and forth up to Milwaukee or down to Bloomington-Normal.

I'm more than willing to fly a smaller jet just as before, but I sure as H.E. double toothpicks am not going to take a pay cut to do it!

I was replying to mach8er post. My comment had nothing to do with the F100.... You are the one who had to bring into topic. We did work 4 to 5 leg days on the F100 out of EWR and LGA just for your reference.

I remember not knowing if I was coming or going on the LGA-YYZ "shuttle" back in the day. It very well could have been 6 legs. Either way, it made me happy I didn't work for Southwest. I wouldn't make it doing that kind of flying.

I was replying to mach8er post. My comment had nothing to do with the F100.... You are the one who had to bring into topic. We did work 4 to 5 leg days on the F100 out of EWR and LGA just for your reference.

And, of course, what happened at LGA on one or two routes is the definitive description of all routes and bases using the F100. How many flights/day did you have LGA/YYZ on the F100? 12? Well, if, as you say, 2 f/as were flying six of those 24 legs, then it affected a total of 12 f/as per day. Not a huge percentage of the LGA base, was it?

And, of course, what happened at LGA on one or two routes is the definitive description of all routes and bases using the F100. How many flights/day did you have LGA/YYZ on the F100? 12? Well, if, as you say, 2 f/as were flying six of those 24 legs, then it affected a total of 12 f/as per day. Not a huge percentage of the LGA base, was it?
I could care less about what the F100 did and where...... The point to my original reply to Mach was, we will not work for less $$ just because it's a smaller a/c. And, I seriously doubt the FA's costs are higher than the pilots when all aspects of each are considered.. Let it go dude!

returning to the discussion of the MIA hub, apparently Time magazine thinks that MIA is the home of AA's headquarters.

"Tourist industry officials say Brazil should be on the list of countries whose citizens do not need a visa to enter the U.S. There are currently 36 countries on Washington's visa waiver list, but none of them are in Latin America. Some argue it's hampering the U.S.' economic growth and global competitiveness. For example, Chilean tourism to the United States is down more than 30% from 10 years ago, while globally the number of Chileans traveling overseas to other countries is up 50%. Martha Pantín, communications director for American Airlines, notes that many Latin American travelers have started connecting through other destinations since the U.S. suspended the Transfer Without a Visa program following 9/11. She says the Miami-based air carrier "strongly supports" the extension of visa waiver status to Argentina, Brazil and Chile and is "hopeful that this will occur in the very near future."

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2075717,00.html#ixzz1PB7Lvj82

BTW. I agree with Martha and believe that AA's growth in Latin America is an example of how strong economies lift all boats.

Latest posts

Back