AA Expanding in New York

With B6 all ready partly owned by LH I would see them joining the Star Alliance.

With B6 all ready partly owned by LH I would see them joining the Star Alliance.

Yes, LH has a 19% ownership stake, but realistically, there's no way DOJ would give ATI to Jetblue and Continental. Without ATI, membership in Star has no real value.

Also remember that LH invested in B6 in Dec 2007; CO announced they'd join Star in June 2008. A lot of speculation at the time was that LH bought the stake in B6 to ensure they'd have better access to slots at JFK had DOT gone forward with the now-(brain)dead plan to take slots away from incumbent airlines, including foreign carriers, and auction them off to the highest bidder....

Now that CO is in Star, the slot plan is dead, and there's no real hope of foreign ownership caps being lifted, it wouldn't surprise me to see LH be willing to reduce or eliminate their investment stake.

US and Europe reached an agreement allowing foreign ownership of US airlines, Subject to Congressional approval.

US and Europe reached an agreement allowing foreign ownership of US airlines, Subject to Congressional approval.

Really? Source please! Otherwise you're talking out of your derriere, mon ami.

I was under the impression that this new agreement did nothing to change the limit of foreign ownership of USA arilines to 25%.

"The new agreement contains no commitment to change existing statutes that limit foreign ownership in U.S. carriers and bar foreign control of U.S. carriers, DOT spokesman Bill Mosley said. Foreign ownership in a U.S. air carrier is limited to 25 percent of the voting interest in the carrier." AP link

Really? Source please! Otherwise you're talking out of your derriere, mon ami.

chill, dude.... Reuters and other outlets reported in error that the new agreement lifted the caps. That was clarified later, but not until after it was republished a couple thousand times..

One has to wonder why JetBlue was picked for this "agreement."
They switched over to Sabre I believe in February of this year for whatever reasons. Who knows if this will lead to other things.
I am a firm believer that there will be another airline merger or two.

Who knows.....

As a flight attendant I am encouraged by this agreement. It is about about time that American Airlines gets it tail out from between its legs and starts competing against delta in NYC. There is no way we were ever going to start to fly to Buffulo, Syracuse, Rochester. Richmond, etc.. out of NYC. I am anxious to hear what new international routes we are going to expand into.

The writing is on the wall...

AA and JB join forces to compete against DL in NYC. JB is switching to Sabre, JB has newer aircraft and JB has a brand new state of the art terminal at JFK. DL wants the JB terminal at JFK in a big way. AA merges with JB and gets newer aircraft to replace the aged MD80's. American operates all International departures out terminal 8 and all Domestic out of terminal 5.

This is JMHO.

There's no reason to do that. Term 8 has lots of excess capacity. Making customers trek between 8 and 5 is dumb. The B9 deal is just a simple interline agreement that benefits both B9 and AA since (at least right now) those interests don't collide with this.

AA.com
- adding 7 new destinations served by 23 additional flights from the city's two airports, enhancing the travel experience with upgraded aircraft, and providing customers with improved terminal facilities.

- American has also entered in an agreement with JetBlue Airways that will offer JetBlue customers connections to American's international flights and new domestic flight options on JetBlue for American customers out of New York and Boston.

New Routes With American and American Eagle
LaGuardia
New American Eagle Bombardier CRJ-700 airplanes, outfitted with First Class as well as Coach Class, will fly several new routes from LaGuardia to:
Atlanta - Seven times daily effective July 2
Charlotte - Five times daily effective August 24
Minneapolis/St. Paul - Four times daily effective October 1

The CRJ-700s will also be used to fly existing routes from LaGuardia, including:
Raleigh-Durham, effective August 1
Toronto, effective August 24

American will also increase mainline daily roundtrips to Miami and Chicago from LaGuardia.

JFK
American begins service in April and May to San Jose, Costa Rica; Madrid, Spain; and Manchester, England.
In July, American will commence non-stop service to Austin.
In November, American will add twice-daily, non-stop service to Fort Lauderdale, and increase daily frequencies to Orlando, Las Vegas, and Miami.
American Eagle will add daily roundtrip regional jet service to Columbus, effective April 6, and St. Louis, effective July 2.
In November, American Eagle will begin one roundtrip daily to Norfolk, and add twice-daily service to Indianapolis and Cincinnati, using Embraer regional jets.
American Eagle will also assign the two-class CRJ-700s to upgrade existing routes from JFK, offering First Class service to Washington Reagan, Boston, and Toronto starting in early 2011.

It remains to be seen what the impacts will be for AA employees: the current agreement basically bypasses the ASM limitations for AE within the Pilot, TWU and FA CBAs' by using JBLU and their A320/A319/E190 aircraft.

The APA is the only group to have challenged the outsourced flying limitations and obtained a large win. It remains to be seen what the other labor groups will do in response.

I wonder to what extent the TWU has sought a, "no adverse impact clause" for this agreement?

If you think the B6/AA "agreement" is so significant, then you need to make sure every interline booking with DL, US, UA, or anyone also fall under the ASM cap.

It's an interline agreement and a swap-out of some slots. Nothing more. Y'all take it for granted having interline agreements with other airlines, but startups don't typically interline with anyone because it takes good credit and the establised airlines don't want to do anything to ensure the startup's success. The slot swapping happens quite often, and is simply a business transaction y'all have no say over.

As a flight attendant I am encouraged by this agreement. It is about about time that American Airlines gets it tail out from between its legs and starts competing against delta in NYC. There is no way we were ever going to start to fly to Buffulo, Syracuse, Rochester. Richmond, etc.. out of NYC. I am anxious to hear what new international routes we are going to expand into.

I agree. I was getting kind of tired of feeling like the kid on the playground with the constant wedgies! It's about time AA mgmt decided to defend our turf.

If you think the B6/AA "agreement" is so significant, then you need to make sure every interline booking with DL, US, UA, or anyone also fall under the ASM cap.

It's an interline agreement and a swap-out of some slots. Nothing more. Y'all take it for granted having interline agreements with other airlines, but startups don't typically interline with anyone because it takes good credit and the establised airlines don't want to do anything to ensure the startup's success. The slot swapping happens quite often, and is simply a business transaction y'all have no say over.

From the current CBA between AMR and the TWU for the Maintenance and Related Contract:

ATTACHMENT 1.5 – SEAT MILES SCHEDULED BY COMMUTER AIR CARRIERS

To: Edward R. Koziatek

Re: Seat Miles Scheduled by Commuter Air Carriers

August 15, 1995

This will confirm our discussions leading to signing of the agreement dated August 15, 1995, in which we discussed provisions for the future schedules of commuter air carriers relative to American Airlines. It is agreed that, beginning with twelve (12) month period following August 15, 1995, and each twelve (12) month period thereafter, the total number of available seat miles (ASM’s) which may be scheduled by all commuter air carriers owned by AMR or feeding American may not exceed six (6) percent of the total ASM’s scheduled by American. This limitation will not apply to ASM’s scheduled by such commuter air carriers on new service on a route, which American has not served since March 1, 1993. No aircraft type currently in the American Airlines fleet, or inactive aircraft type previously in the American Airlines fleet and still under the Company’s control, and no current orders or options for an American Airlines aircraft type will be transferred to or operated by a commuter air carrier either owned by AMR or feeding American Airlines. (Signed original on file)
ARTICLE 1 – RECOGNITION AND SCOPE
Page 11 of 14

JB is not a commuter airline. Boomer, this is nothing more than an interline agreement like we have with DL, or UA, or LCC. We agree to move bags between connecting flights on each other, and each airline is allowed to ticket through passengers from one airline to the other on non-competing routes--in English that is places we don't fly to. The ticket issued by AA will clearly show a JetBlue segment. The ticket issued by JetBlue will clearly show an AA segment. It is not even a codeshare.

These are passengers that we probably wouldn't get anyway if it weren't for this agreement. Why would they want to fly an AA domestic or International segment if they had to reclaim their luggage at JFK or BOS and then recheck when JB already has interline agreements with other International carriers?

It has absolutely nothing to do with labor agreements or outsourcing.

Latest posts