AA Sues SkySteward.com

While his videos are somewhat funny I think he has crossed the line.
His intentions are to destroyed AA. He is encouraging people to
book on other airlines. He doesn't care he doesn't work here anymore.
His sole purpose is to destroy the company and make a name for himself.

Reactions: 1 person
Might want to beware of company ghost riders claiming to be "aluminum status"

While his videos are somewhat funny I think he has crossed the line.
His intentions are to destroyed AA. He is encouraging people to
book on other airlines. He doesn't care he doesn't work here anymore.
His sole purpose is to destroy the company and make a name for himself.

You are so right! Regardless of who the passengers were, he breached their privacy and because of that, AA could be help liable. Wasn't it just last week when a Virgin f/a was fired because of leaking passenger information to the press? What he did was not OK regardless of how we feel about the company.

After all the sense of entitlement some of you've claimed EP's have over the upgrades, I find it curiously humorous that there's suddenly all this empathy for the "I paid almost nothing, where's my free upgrade?" crowd....
So, it really would not bother you if you could not use your upgrade because an employee trumped you out of first class! Not sure what you are trying to say here, but I respect and treat all of our premium customers with utmost care, I know it is you that pay my paycheck. Hell, I respect and treat all of our passengers with respect and do the very best job I can to ensure they have an enjoyable flight.

So, it really would not bother you if you could not use your upgrade because an employee trumped you out of first class! Not sure what you are trying to say here, but I respect and treat all of our premium customers with utmost care, I know it is you that pay my paycheck. Hell, I respect and treat all of our passengers with respect and do the very best job I can to ensure they have an enjoyable flight.

To me, it doesn't matter if it was an employee or another EXP. I don't pay for the upgrades, so who am I to complain about not getting something for free? It all goes back to the entitlement mentality. I'm entitled to what I pay for; if I get an upgrade, great. If I don't, well, the plane arrives at the same time regardless if I'm in 6B or 14E.

The only difference between me and an employee on business or pleasure is my company whips out a credit card for the purchase, while the company charges itself.

As for the vacation vs. business travel... You won't find too many EP's buying tickets for their vacations, since they're burning up miles. So again, how can I begrudge someone else getting the same type of perks I get as an EP?

eolesen,

Do you have a short summary as to what travel bennies the AMR BOD has had over the years? Unlimited, pos space FC, immediate family, extended family?
Same for senior management? Management retirees?

I've heard of G. Arpey taking a seat in coach when the aircraft was full. I've also hear of Judith Rodin holding a flight as well as Bob Reding when he was VP.
I would hope in the case of retirees and AMR BOD, the positive space travel beneifts are examined.

I for one would find it disturbing if an AMR Board member had unlimited FC pos space travel benefits on AA. In the case of one of them traveling FC to NRT or LHR on a full flight with family, the revenue cost (assuming full paying FC) could be significant. It would strike me like a Best Buy Board member stopping by a store and picking up a couple of wide screems as they see fit.

Priority seating with open seats is something I don't have an issue with concerning the above.

Thanks

The compensation paid to members of the Board of Directors is disclosed each year in the Proxy Statement. From the Proxy filed last April:

Other Compensation

As is common in the airline industry, each non-employee director and his or her spouse or companion and dependent children also received unlimited complimentary personal air travel on American Airlines and American Eagle Airlines in any available class of service, and we reimbursed them for any related taxes. We provided membership in our Admirals Club® airport lounges and all of the benefits and privileges American Airlines gives to its best frequent flyers, including class of service upgrade credits, travel assistance, and fee waivers. We also reimbursed them for their expenses incurred in attending our meetings. We provided other perquisites and personal benefits, which are described in footnote 5 to the "Director Compensation Table For Fiscal Year 2010" below.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=117098&p=IROL-secToc&TOC=aHR0cDovL2lyLmludC53ZXN0bGF3YnVzaW5lc3MuY29tL2RvY3VtZW50L3YxLzAwMDA5NTAxMjMtMTEtMDM3ODc0L3RvYy9wYWdl&ListAll=1

The same travel benefits are provided to the top executive officers:

For example, as is common in the airline industry, we provide unlimited personal air travel on American Airlines and American Eagle Airlines.

I for one would find it disturbing if an AMR Board member had unlimited FC pos space travel benefits on AA. In the case of one of them traveling FC to NRT or LHR on a full flight with family, the revenue cost (assuming full paying FC) could be significant. It would strike me like a Best Buy Board member stopping by a store and picking up a couple of wide screems as they see fit.

Board members do get unlimited A2P's for themselves and eligibles. The travel isn't free, though. The value of the seat becomes taxable income (rates for imputed income are along the lines of what you see for D3 rates).

A closer analogy on your Best Buy example would be them stopping by a local store, and loading up on flat screens at cost. And I suspect that if Best Buy has such a program for employees, a board member would be able to do just that as long as they whip out their credit card.

Yes, I know that the D3 rates are not the full retail or market value of the seat, but it's better than nothing.

There are other carriers who don't do the reserved space travel for their executives or board members. Instead, they just issue them a UATP card (or another type of payment card), the executive buys their tickets as needed, and the company pays the bill. Some only reimburse up to a certain amount each year; anything over that, the executive or board member becomes liable for. I think it's a decent alternative to imputed income.

What I'd recommend as an employee travel package (if anyone cared to listen) is to manage it like is currently done for some workgroups with uniforms, or a healthcare savings account: Load up the bank with "AA Bucks" based on seniority or even job level, and allow leftover credits to roll over from year to year. Those who use the privilege the most wind up paying their way, while those who travel only once or twice every year could blow the entire wad on one trip.

e, it's taxable income, but AA reimburses the directors for the taxes. AA does not pay the taxes for the top executives:

As is customary in the airline industry, we provide them and their spouses or companions and dependent children unlimited personal air travel on American Airlines and American Eagle Airlines in any available class of service. However, they are required to pay all taxes and fees associated with the air travel. The amounts shown include our estimated aggregate incremental cost for the air travel we provided them in 2010, including the estimated cost of incremental fuel, catering and insurance, but exclude the associated fees and taxes they paid.

The fact is, this guy violated company policy, violated passengers privacy and possibly committed disability fraud. He is a bad guy and should be held to account for his misdeeds.

Eric. We can AGREE to DISAGREE, and most likely will.

I sense Gailen David has an axe to grind, BUT, as time goes on I believe that he will realize that he has a GOLDEN opportunity (with a ton of supporters, me among them) That he can effect CHANGE @ center PORK.

I also believe he has a 50/50 love/hate relationship with AA, and I believe he WANTS to see AA return to THE Best Inflight service in the USA, Which you and I have experienced, and KNOW it's possible to have it returned !!!!
(YES it allows them to prance :rolleyes: while delivering that Best service in the air.)(If I'm like 90 % of the FFers, I don't care about the prancing, Just give me my Strawberry Sundae et al.)

While Crandall was the least fond of APFA, he ALSO wanted the BEST (aka) AMERICAN AIRLINES service in the sky, And Y O U..KNOW it.

Look, I've got no problem with capacity reduction, I don't, but lets have the F*****G Phoney's Like Curtis/Torno/Pappas/Garton Horton and that other Spanish Flame'r who's name escapes me now, STOP trying to BS FFers ! For them (EX-VP;s), I could/can Understand being scared-to-death of (uncle) Bobby, BUT Sadly RLC is Not here.

IF Gailen David gets a significant benefactor ($$$) this will get VERY interesting !!!!!!!!!!!

REMEMBER how the ARAB SPRING got started ? If Not, ask Hosni Mubarek !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suspect David will join the ranks of Joe the Plumber, The Jetblue Slide Blower, and perhaps John Wayne Bobbit....

All got their 15 minutes of fame, got inflated egos along the way, and then had to face the reality that they'd outlived the news cycle that made them famous and had to go find a real job.

Reactions: 2 people
To me, it doesn't matter if it was an employee or another EXP. I don't pay for the upgrades, so who am I to complain about not getting something for free? It all goes back to the entitlement mentality. I'm entitled to what I pay for; if I get an upgrade, great. If I don't, well, the plane arrives at the same time regardless if I'm in 6B or 14E.
You have a very different mentality than the overly entitled DYKWIA type EXP's who constantly whine on FlyerTalk. Many elite frequent fliers do care about are obsessed with their upgrades.

Latest posts