AAL projected $3.5 billion Profit , a record for U.S. Airline industry

usa1

Veteran
Oct 6, 2008
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-07/american-record-profit-seen-as-air-merger-buoys-industry.html

American Airlines Group Inc. (AAL) is heading for an annual profit analysts estimate at $3.5 billion, a record for the resurgent U.S. industry, as the carrier reaps merger benefits faster than in rivals tie-ups.

Profit Estimate

The projected profit for Fort Worth, Texas-based American, the average of 11 estimates compiled by Bloomberg and excluding some items, tops the $2.2 billion tally for Delta and the $1.7 billion for United.

Was the weather factor built into these numbers going forward?  With all synergies not yet realized, pretty impressive. Leads one to wonder who's doing most of the cart pulling--- AA or US? 

Good god, in 37 years I've never seen nor heard of a profit forecast this heavy.

The Unions will be smart to act fast while the iron is hot. Move things along as quickly as possible, focusing on improtant issues not tit for tat minuta and get combined. Get a new deal for as much as you can, but getting a deal is paramount. Moreso than getting some pie in the sky things the company will never agree to and missing this golden oppertunity.

Profits are fleeting in this industry.

RJcasualty said:
Was the weather factor built into these numbers going forward?  With all synergies not yet realized, pretty impressive. Leads one to wonder who's doing most of the cart pulling--- AA or US? 
AA's 2013 profits, excluding special items,  were larger than US' profits, not unexpected, as AA was almost twice as large as US.   US had the $192 million expense for retro pay for its pilots due to the MOU and its FA expense rose quite a bit in 2013 once they finally ratified their new contract.

The 2013 financial results released in late January showed that US continued to attract very low yields to Latin America and Europe compared to AA.   CLT and PHL have their vocal fan-bois but the results, as released by Doug Parker, show that CLT and PHL don't produce the same high fares as the AA hubs.   Parker is known to be a snake and a liar, but this is one area where he was always being truthful with his employees when he told them that old US could not match AA, DL and UA in wages.   

Now, of course, the pilots of old US make the same $$$ as the AA pilots and the US FAs aren't too far behind the pmAA FAs in labor cost.   Parker and Kirby still haven't explained how the CLT and PHL hubs will produce higher revenues so that new AA can pay those pilots and FAs higher wages without subsidy from the AA employees.   

This article is an astounding example of "counting chickens before they hatch," as it's only March 7.    New AA hasn't even reported its first combined quarterly results for 2014 and the stock-pushing whores (financial analysts) are claiming that new AA will earn more than a billion dollars more than will DL in 2014.   That might happen, but I wouldn't count on it.   I don't see any explanation in the article for why DL's profits will be so much smaller in 2014 than they were in 2013.    

ord78 said:
Good god, in 37 years I've never seen nor heard of a profit forecast this heavy.

ord78 said:

bingo.

It's also not likely anywhere close to reality.

a pool anyone on how close they actually get to it?

FWAAA said:
AA's 2013 profits, excluding special items,  were larger than US' profits, not unexpected, as AA was almost twice as large as US.   US had the $192 million expense for retro pay for its pilots due to the MOU and its FA expense rose quite a bit in 2013 once they finally ratified their new contract.

The 2013 financial results released in late January showed that US continued to attract very low yields to Latin America and Europe compared to AA.   CLT and PHL have their vocal fan-bois but the results, as released by Doug Parker, show that CLT and PHL don't produce the same high fares as the AA hubs.   Parker is known to be a snake and a liar, but this is one area where he was always being truthful with his employees when he told them that old US could not match AA, DL and UA in wages.   

Now, of course, the pilots of old US make the same $$$ as the AA pilots and the US FAs aren't too far behind the pmAA FAs in labor cost.   Parker and Kirby still haven't explained how the CLT and PHL hubs will produce higher revenues so that new AA can pay those pilots and FAs higher wages without subsidy from the AA employees.   

This article is an astounding example of "counting chickens before they hatch," as it's only March 7.    New AA hasn't even reported its first combined quarterly results for 2014 and the stock-pushing whores (financial analysts) are claiming that new AA will earn more than a billion dollars more than will DL in 2014.   That might happen, but I wouldn't count on it.   I don't see any explanation in the article for why DL's profits will be so much smaller in 2014 than they were in 2013.    

FWAAA said:

this... all of it

Reactions: 1 person
they'll make a profit  but I doubt itll be what theyre claiming   esp  if and only if they do not settle the pmus side first   if they don't settle it  things will get ugly real quick  

UPNAWAY said:
The Unions will be smart to act fast while the iron is hot. Move things along as quickly as possible, focusing on improtant issues not tit for tat minuta and get combined. Get a new deal for as much as you can, but getting a deal is paramount. Moreso than getting some pie in the sky things the company will never agree to and missing this golden oppertunity.

Profits are fleeting in this industry.
You do realize AH and the gang are the obstacles in getting a new CBA?

robbedagain said:
they'll make a profit  but I doubt itll be what theyre claiming   esp  if and only if they do not settle the pmus side first   if they don't settle it  things will get ugly real quick  
I knew we'd find something to agree on.

FWAAA said:

Wall Street is pimping this stock with minimal due diligence?  But who cares, it keeps going up. 

Latest posts