Acting Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken MacTiernan

Veteran
Aug 12, 2003
San Diego CA
Working environments throughout our professional community change with each passing generation; and with each generation, challenges arise that threaten our craft and how our profession is perceived by the public. These challenges can be subtle and they can also be extremely visible. To allow these challenges to go unchecked is a sure way for our craft to erode. As with all challenges there are two options that we, as professionals, can make. We can either ignore these challenges or fight them together; drawing upon each other for strength and unity.

Challenges that we must meet head on in order to protect our craft’s integrity will cause us to find ways to address issues of a professional or ethical nature, and resolving issues of misconduct that directly effect the safety of our craft. We need to remain diligent in resolving personal and professional conflicts amongst ourselves which could harm our craft if left unchecked. By promoting the highest professional standards challenges such as these will enhance how we promote our craft.

By setting forth and following professional standards we can create a more professional atmosphere. Within this atmosphere we will be able to show the public, and industry that we are professional in everything we do. We will also be able to improve morale and safety as well as be more competitive and better protect our profession. By adhering to professional standards we will truly be able to show that we are the best work force in the industry. However, to be successful it will take all of us to participate in setting these standards.

What do you think?

I think its about time somebody from the AMT ranks said this! Is this just a statement by you or do you have some other idea? Your question is a promising one, I hope its more than just a question. :)

Working environments throughout our professional community change with each passing generation; and with each generation, challenges arise that threaten our craft and how our profession is perceived by the public. These challenges can be subtle and they can also be extremely visible. To allow these challenges to go unchecked is a sure way for our craft to erode. As with all challenges there are two options that we, as professionals, can make. We can either ignore these challenges or fight them together; drawing upon each other for strength and unity.

Challenges that we must meet head on in order to protect our craft’s integrity will cause us to find ways to address issues of a professional or ethical nature, and resolving issues of misconduct that directly effect the safety of our craft. We need to remain diligent in resolving personal and professional conflicts amongst ourselves which could harm our craft if left unchecked. By promoting the highest professional standards challenges such as these will enhance how we promote our craft.

By setting forth and following professional standards we can create a more professional atmosphere. Within this atmosphere we will be able to show the public, and industry that we are professional in everything we do. We will also be able to improve morale and safety as well as be more competitive and better protect our profession. By adhering to professional standards we will truly be able to show that we are the best work force in the industry. However, to be successful it will take all of us to participate in setting these standards.

What do you think?
I agree, its a strategy that has worked well for the pilots. In the early years Pilots were often seen as hard drinking , even reckless, daredevils, that was fine for attracting crowds to Barnstorming shows but it really didnt make people want to choose flying as an alternate means of transportation. The pilots, with the help of the airlines promoted themselves as clean cut, sober, military style professionsa, even adopting military style uniforms titles etc. It was essentail to both parties, airlines and pilots. Their standards were written accordingly.

We pretty much missed that opportunity, however we could still benifit from an image upgrade. When we set our standards we must never lose site of the word "Professional" in that a profession is something you do for money and our biggest opponent is the airline we work for. The greatest threat facing the profession is the attempt by the airlines to make this more of a hobby than a career and the fact that the best and the brightest are being forced to abandon the profession in pursuit of a job that can support their families.

Our standards should reflect our obligations as A&P mechanics for the safety of the people who board these planes and not the company who employs us because these companies are by nature driven towards profits at any cost. We should strive to oppose and expose the actions of employers who choose to cut on safety in order to increase profits. Programs that discourage mechanics from looking at aircraft, lest they feel obliged to report discrepancies are being put in place, such programs should be opposed and exposed. The flying public puts their trust in us, we do not have the right to transfer that trust to any other party.

I think its about time somebody from the AMT ranks said this! Is this just a statement by you or do you have some other idea? Your question is a promising one, I hope its more than just a question. :)

Skipfly,

This post serves both as a statement and purpose. Like my earlier post "Do You?" this post is meant to give pause to all AMTs and reassess where our craft and profession is, how it is viewed and what the reader is doing to improve/protect/promote the AMT trade.

Getting AMTs to realize that all AMTs belong to a worldwide Brotherhood will enable the meaning within my posts. Image and professionalism is changed for the better by simply policing ourselves. When a negative image or unprofessional act is witnessed we need to speak up and in an intelligent way explain why this is incorrect so the person acting so will learn and not perform in such a unprofessional/negative image way in the future.

As Mr. Owens states, "we pretty much missed the opportunity" to set a professional standard some time ago. Well, there is never any better time than the present to make a positive impact. Education and communication are two tools to accomplish any task before us.

Mr. MacTiernan
I am an outsider to the AMT profession and can not participate in this discussion.
But I am also the son of a former "radio man" and "lead mechanic" who would be overjoyed at your continued work to promote the vital AMT profession.
I wish I could say something more adequate than "Thank you" for your efforts.

Help is just a phone call away, alert the TWU Professional felons to bust out the coffin on the hay trailer, dust off the camo's and do a road show. The ones that are not in management yet that is.

When a negative image or unprofessional act is witnessed we need to speak up and in an intelligent way explain why this is incorrect so the person acting so will learn and not perform in such a unprofessional/negative image way in the future.

Speak up to who? My fellow coworkers and I have witnessed many unprofessional acts at our station. It will not do any good to speak up as the union and the company will do nothing about it. I know this first hand.

Speak up to who? My fellow coworkers and I have witnessed many unprofessional acts at our station. It will not do any good to speak up as the union and the company will do nothing about it. I know this first hand.

When you say the union and company will do nothing about it why must that stop you from protecting our craft? Speaking up simply means that you (we) take control of our craft. Adhereing to 100% compliance with written ADs, ECOs, MMs, etc. is what should be done and the company indicated this a while ago.

Allowing others to act unprofessional which portrays a negative image is part of the problem. I do not mean to imply in the slightest that we need to be critical of everything and everyone. What I am saying is that we, as Stewards for our craft, (whether or not people agree with being today's Stewards), have a responsibility to speak out even if "it will not do any good" because in reality it is not every AMT that acts unprofessional or portrays a negative image.

The analogy of cracking an iceburg comes to mind. You chip away at an iceburg, you don't split it with one blow of the hammer. The same can be said with the meaning of my post. It is a culture change to create and implement professional standards. I know this first hand.

You and your fellow coworkers, (who are professional), who have witnessed unprofessional acts CAN effect a postive change.

I agree 100%,but why can't we keep the rest light and fun?

I never implied that keeping the work place a light and fun environment was not possible while maintaining professional standards. Having worked in LGA, SAN and now DFW I am surrounded by fellow craftsmen that have a distinct sense of humor and sense of pride. I am who I am in large part because of the professionals that I have had the pleasure of working with these past 23 years. Laughter is a part of life. As a matter of fact, humor is a great way to convey a point of view.

I never implied that keeping the work place a light and fun environment was not possible while maintaining professional standards.

Some people say that "horse play",playing jokes,and "dissing" your co-workers is unprofessional.
Sure is fun tho',and helps us through tough times and long hours.
Yet we still keep up our work standards .

When you say the union and company will do nothing about it why must that stop you from protecting our craft? Speaking up simply means that you (we) take control of our craft. Adhereing to 100% compliance with written ADs, ECOs, MMs, etc. is what should be done and the company indicated this a while ago.

Well I am from the camp that think's integrety cannot be shamed or "peer pressured" into. You have it or do not. It would seem every AMT would work by published standards every time there is no up side or incentive to "cut corners". I have done what you are advocating and have recieved the one finger salute with many other slogans. Oh yeah, I most likely did not say it in a way you would so it it's my fault. In this HR culture you have to be careful for what you say . This TWU which you have a love affair with will not promote a mechanic as a professional because they want numbers. The AMT classification was invented to put everyone in the same group A&P's and non. which the non are considered "highly skilled". More incompetence is good because it equates to more dues because you need more people. You said it when you said the "union" should not be involved that is awesome a "union" for mechanics should not promote professional standards. I get pissed off at every contract negotiation time, the worthless TWU bust's out the work by the "book" buttons. That is a slap in every mechanics face in other words risk your ticket unless we are not getting what we want in negotiations. If your beloved TWU promoted professional standards 24 7 I would not see the descrepancy. P.S. I could care less if you revert to the "you are under a alias" arguement or pick apart some grammer.

Well I am from the camp that think's integrety cannot be shamed or "peer pressured" into. You have it or do not. It would seem every AMT would work by published standards every time there is no up side or incentive to "cut corners". I have done what you are advocating and have recieved the one finger salute with many other slogans. Oh yeah, I most likely did not say it in a way you would so it it's my fault. In this HR culture you have to be careful for what you say . This TWU which you have a love affair with will not promote a mechanic as a professional because they want numbers. The AMT classification was invented to put everyone in the same group A&P's and non. which the non are considered "highly skilled". More incompetence is good because it equates to more dues because you need more people. You said it when you said the "union" should not be involved that is awesome a "union" for mechanics should not promote professional standards. I get pissed off at every contract negotiation time, the worthless TWU bust's out the work by the "book" buttons. That is a slap in every mechanics face in other words risk your ticket unless we are not getting what we want in negotiations. If your beloved TWU promoted professional standards 24 7 I would not see the descrepancy. P.S. I could care less if you revert to the "you are under a alias" arguement or pick apart some grammer.
I doubt Ken has a love affair with the TWU. I think he's doing what he can with what's available. He does have a love affair with his profession, which is a good thing.

I doubt Ken has a love affair with the TWU. I think he's doing what he can with what's available. He does have a love affair with his profession, which is a good thing.
Well Jim Jimmy Jim since you are answering for "ken" since I have not seen one response from"ken" since he has been in "office" he has not said anything against the"TWU", I am sure he does not want to be removed from office from the international. However if you feel obliged to defend him go for it. Have seen this many times before. He possibly has not seen the "big picture" till he was elected. However you can be in this or stay out whatever. I will not decide his position till he responds so if you want to do a side bar let's go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back