Afl-cio Kicks Off New Website

seed said:
Do you mean all unions or simply the TWU and AMFA? I see the AFL-CIO's request a legit one, though the outcome to all of this I believe is "2cnd shelf". Our concerns should be focussed on a "grass roots" effort to send a message to all management, across the line, that there will be NO MORE CONCESSIONS in order to make their business profitable. If the AFL-CIO can assist in this , then they have my support. Even if what they are/have in place now needs upgraded, they need to use it NOW and lead our unions in unison to let the CEO's know we are tired of saving their airlines, time and time again. The public has got to be the ones to pick up the added costs of operating, the public is the one using the service, they should be the ones to pay.
CIO, with all respect, the bit you posted asked for assistance in discussing how to strengthen America's union movement for the future. There will be no unions in the future to worry about at the rate we are going. The ATD has dwindled in numbers, the AMFA has dwindled in numbers, and even the unrepresented DELTA has dwindled in numbers. Soon the only ones left will be Sweeney, Delle, and Mr. Little sitting around discussing "what if". We need to ACT!
[post="235948"][/post]​

Refeshingly candid!

Better watch out or the TWU will say you are promoting AMFA by admitting that the current structure is ineffective.

Bob Owens said:
Refeshingly candid!

Better watch out or the TWU will say you are promoting AMFA by admitting that the current structure is ineffective.
[post="236136"][/post]​

Stop paying them!

I support anyone or any union that supports me. I do not see this fight as an AMFA/TWU fight. I see all of us in a fight of the working class against the team of companies and BK judges. Currently we are getting our butts kicked.

seed said:
I support anyone or any union that supports me. I do not see this fight as an AMFA/TWU fight. I see all of us in a fight of the working class against the team of companies and BK judges. Currently we are getting our butts kicked.
[post="236394"][/post]​

Thats because those we pay to represent labor, the AFL-CIO, no longer care what happens to the airline members. It is evident that the AFL-CIO could have protected labor in this industry, but has opted not to.

seed said:
[post="236394"][/post]​

You are right, we are getting our butts kicked. Our own union, even though they pretend to be on our side, is on their side. They are the ones who told us not to fight back!!

Next time Jim Little talks as "us", ask him how much of a pay cut he took. Same with Gless and Yingst.

Ask them how much they figured the TWU International saved by keeping AA out of BK.

Ask them how much they figure a strike would cost the TWU.

Ask them if the TWU is still accepting "Company Paid UB" to the tune of $3 million a year.

These are just some of the reasons why the TWU sold us out.

They claim they were "saving jobs", but they fail to mention that the negotiating committees first proposal was to cut jobs to meet the figure for cuts. The Company rejected it because they could not run the business.

The company, not the TWU, kept more work in house because the TWU allowed them to pay third party pay rates so it was cheaper for the company to keep it in house,no great feat . Nothing that could not have been accomplished without a union.

The TWU has not prevented the company from outsourceing those jobs where the company could realize a savings. When the company decides they can realize a savings, like with building cleaning, cabin cleaning and a lot of Stores work, the TWU does nothing to stop the company from outsourcing.

What we need is a real union that will unite us across the industry. Mechanics already have the AMFA, we just need to complete the process. Other workers have started to try and form the AGW, but they still have a long way to go. The TWU, IAM and IBT will never do what needs to be done, consolidate the movement, because it would require the leaders of those unions to scrap their individual aspirations in favor of a collective one. While none of them will argue against the benifits of consolidation they will not let it happen either, because they personally do not stand to gain from it.

seed said:
[post="236394"][/post]​

seed, the twu doesn't support you. Why do you support the twu? We are in a fight against the companies and bk judges. We are also in a fight against the twu. They are no different than the companies and bk judges. Except we are forced to pay the twu to screw our profession.

Support? Identify. Label "support". The only regrets I have about the unions in our industry are that they, yes all of them, are to damn slow to react to the speed of management. Jim Little did not force those concessions on us, the majority voted them in. Even if you give a "NO" vote to 100% of those that did not receive a PIN the vote was pro concession. The members were "hoodwinked" by management, not the unions. Even after reoccurring falicies presented by management, the membership wants to believe that management has our best interest at heart. Well guess what people, they have the stockholders interest at #1, not your family, not your monthly obligations.

Bob and Ken, I do not see AMFA as the answer, then again, I do not see the TWU as the answer either. No union is stepping up and accepting responsibility. WE NEED LEADERSHIP!!! We need to have someone, anyone, step up and state the obvious, SHUT IT DOWN BOYS!!! Let President Bush demand the return to work, can they put all of us in jail for contempt?

This isn't about support of the AMFA or the TWU, this is about support of each other. From the pilots to the a/c cleaners, we need to send that BK judge a message of our own!

seed,Jan 8 2005, 08:08 PM]
Support? Identify. Label "support". The only regrets I have about the unions in our industry are that they, yes all of them, are to damn slow to react to the speed of management. Jim Little did not force those concessions on us,
Yes he did. The agreement was changed, he said that becaise of the new information there would be a revote, then he reneged on the promise and put the changed ageeement in place without a vote.

the majority voted them in.

Did they? Or were votes changed? When have you ever heard of a system where you could change your vote? Why have it? And why issue sequential PIN numbers? Why deny 3000 crew chiefs the right to vote?

Even if you give a "NO" vote to 100% of those that did not receive a PIN the vote was pro concession.

Not true for maintenance. It only passed by 700 votes.

The members were "hoodwinked" by management, not the unions.

We were hoodwinked by both. We expect it from management, not our own union, but then again, since the union is on the company payroll to the tune of $3.1 million a year and we have no choice but to pay its not really clear who the TWU works for is it?

Even after reoccurring falicies presented by management, the membership wants to believe that management has our best interest at heart.

No, the TWU wants us to believe that.

Well guess what people, they have the stockholders interest at #1, not your family, not your monthly obligations.

No kidding, and the TWU has the International Treasury at #1, not any group of members. In fact the International demands that local officers put the International ahead of their own members.

Bob and Ken, I do not see AMFA as the answer, then again, I do not see the TWU as the answer either. No union is stepping up and accepting responsibility.

The answer does not lie in "AMFA" per se, it lies in what AMFA offeres us, the chance to unite our profession as one. With our profession all split up AMFAs ability is stifled. AMFA is there for M&R, other workers should seek the same thing through the AGW.

WE NEED LEADERSHIP!!! We need to have someone, anyone, step up and state the obvious, SHUT IT DOWN BOYS!!! Let President Bush demand the return to work, can they put all of us in jail for contempt?

Agreed, but we also need to be united. That will never happen as long as we are split up between unions that are organized along corporate lines.

This isn't about support of the AMFA or the TWU, this is about support of each other. From the pilots to the a/c cleaners, we need to send that BK judge a message of our own!

Hey I'm game, but if we cant depend on our unions why have them?

Back