Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Article

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - Page updated at 12:00 AM
Airplane kingpins tell Airbus: Overhaul A350
By Dominic Gates
Seattle Times aerospace reporter

ORLANDO, Fla. — Two of the world's most powerful airplane buyers yesterday said Airbus should completely rethink the plane it has proposed to compete against Boeing's strong-selling new 787.

Steven Udvar-Hazy, probably the most respected figure in the global business of buying and selling airplanes, predicted the current version of Airbus' A350 would sell poorly and leave Boeing to dominate the lucrative market for midsized wide-bodies.

I don't know about objectivity but the article was peppered with quotes from two guys that look to me like some heavyweight folks who were pretty pointed in their remarks regarding the A350

This can not be encouraging news with US set to take the A350 first here in the USA.

First off the delivery is at least 5 years away.
The guy has already ordered some, he is trying to influence Airbus more so than making a real comment about the AC. In fact he said it will be a very nice good AC, just not one that may be the "next generation". A leasing company is looking at a much longer life span than an Airline and he is not talking about reliability or cost effectiveness. He is speaking about marketability. He doesn't want them to build those for only 10-15 years and then develope something better, he wants something that will be leading the market for 30 years. Also US has an out on the 350's if the performance isn't near the 787's.

I don't know about objectivity but the article was peppered with quotes from two guys that look to me like some heavyweight folks who were pretty pointed in their remarks regarding the A350

This can not be encouraging news with US set to take the A350 first here in the USA.

Just curious. What bias does US have to Boeing products? With the exception of the recent purchase of used B757-200's, why does US continue to play ball with Airbus, when clearly, the "bus" is an inferior product. It is proven that Airbus products are the Kia/Hyundai of the aircraft industry whereas Boeing is the Toyota.

The Airbus may initially be a less expensive purchase; however, the long-term reliability and maintenance costs far exceed the costs of maintaining Boeing aircraft. Airbus planes are not designed for the long term, and ultimately cost more to own and operate.

Again, I ask. Why is US continuing to explore Airbus products when the Boeing is a far superior airplane? The 787 is an all new technology aircraft that is perfect for the future of the new US. The A350 is a cheap derivative of the A330 with new engines. Clearly, the persons making the fleet decisions at US have failed to do their homework on this.

Back