Airplane kingpins tell Airbus: Overhaul A350

• Banned
The ATSB gave US no money, no tax dollars.

The ATSB gave a gaurantee and the money was a loan from private banks, the ATSB (US GOVT) made a nice profit off the loan gaurantee.

So did the ATSB after 9/11, you would think US would gone with an american made product...

Do you even know how much of the 777 is actually made in America? The 787 will have whole sections built in other countries. These days Boeing is not in the airplane manufacturing business. It is in the aircraft assembly business.

Are you even aware how many companies here in the US build components for airbus products?

There are both well made aircraft and neither one is more American than the other. They are just put together in different parts of the globe. Airbus has been willling to set up an assembly plant in the U.S. if they secure an A330 tanker contract.

I dont care how many widgets are made in another country, the Boeing is far more domestic than airbus. That keeps that many more jobs from being outsourced abroad. That being said I wish far more of the Boeing was home grown. I stil cant believe Boeing outsourced the wing on the 787.

The ATSB gave US no money, no tax dollars.

The ATSB gave a gaurantee and the money was a loan from private banks, the ATSB (US GOVT) made a nice profit off the loan gaurantee.

C'mon, you know damm well the feds gave billions to the airlines in the days after 911.
Neither the feds nor joe taxpayer made a nickel off these handouts. Pure welfare.

The ATSB loan was altogether a separate issue.

I am always amused by those who insist on the right to buy the best-priced product --- yet expect their own customersto pay thru the nose irregardless of value.

UAW much?

C'mon, you know damm well the feds gave billions to the airlines in the days after 911.
Neither the feds nor joe taxpayer made a nickel off these handouts. Pure welfare.

The ATSB loan was altogether a separate issue.

And it was compensation from the government shutting down airspace and keeping DCA closed for weeks. Not exactly a handout when you compensate someone for interrupting their business.

And it was compensation from the government shutting down airspace and keeping DCA closed for weeks. Not exactly a handout when you compensate someone for interrupting their business.

Wrong.

Katrina shut down MSY and airlines redeployed.

I suppose US should get another handout because they closed PIT.

Colodny/Wolf et al screwed up their own company far worse than the feds.

You may have a point though. Next time I have to detour and miss a business opportunity because of federal-funded highway repair work I think I'll demand a federal refund....

• Banned
You forget the whole air travel system was shut down for days.

The airlines lost billions.

So did the ATSB after 9/11, you would think US would gone with an american made product...

You realize that like 60-70 percent of the 777 parts are foreign made (including small things like the wing) and it's expected that the foreign contect of the 787 will be an even greater percentage?

• Banned
The 777's rudder is made in Australia.

Some fuselage sections in Italy.

Wrong.

Katrina shut down MSY and airlines redeployed.

1 airport vs. the entire system. federal decision vs. impossible because of weather. I know DCA is one airport, but in the US case, it is a revenue-premium profit maker

I suppose US should get another handout because they closed PIT

no, that was a business decision, not one forced on them by the government

Colodny/Wolf et al screwed up their own company far worse than the feds.

no argument

You may have a point though. Next time I have to detour and miss a business opportunity because of federal-funded highway repair work I think I'll demand a federal refund....

good luck with that

edit: tried to color my responses, but you get the point

I dont care how many widgets are made in another country, the Boeing is far more domestic than airbus. That keeps that many more jobs from being outsourced abroad. That being said I wish far more of the Boeing was home grown. I stil cant believe Boeing outsourced the wing on the 787.

It does absolutely nothing to keep the jobs onshore.

Boeing has even offshored (to foreign suppliers) much of the design work on the 787 (I work for a firm that is in such a position, albeit domestically based). Buying Boeing (at least the 777 and 787) does absolutely nothing to keep jobs in America anymore.

Heck, a Honda Accord now has more domestic content than a Ford F-150. The whole notion of buying from an American firm will result in fewer American jobs being lost is completely bogus, and has been for some time.

In my world there is a night and day difference between support received from Boeing and support received from Airbus. Airbus wins the support war hands down. They bend over backwards to find solutions to our problems, whereas Boeing's attitude is..."it's your problem...we'll charge you XYZ to help you." Totally not customer supportive in comparsion.

The latest bad new for Airbus:

Singapore Air pressures Airbus on A350 jet - WSJ
Sun Apr 9, 2006 1:06 AM ET

SINGAPORE, April 9 (Reuters) - Singapore Airlines has become the second key Airbus customer to say that the European company has not done enough to make its planned A350 plane competitive with Boeing Co.'s 787 Dreamliner, the Wall Street Journal said.

Article

Jim

Back