America West's New Revenue

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj04878

Feb 8, 2003
Im sure nearly all of you have heard about HP's selling of advertising on tray tables. My Question is, do you all think that this managment will stoop that low for a few extra bucks? I certainly hope not but Im sure someone at CCY is thinking that it might just be the savior of this company. I know that a few weeks ago the subject of selling advertising on IFE, but I think this is certainly different and just plain tacky. What do you all think?

aj04878 said:
Im sure nearly all of you have heard about HP's selling of advertising on tray tables. My Question is, do you all think that this managment will stoop that low for a few extra bucks? I certainly hope not but Im sure someone at CCY is thinking that it might just be the savior of this company. I know that a few weeks ago the subject of selling advertising on IFE, but I think this is certainly different and just plain tacky. What do you all think?
Why stop there? How about painting the underbellies with big ads for soundproof insulation, etc. That way, the good folks that hate airports but live near them and benefit from them can look up for some ideas on how to make a better life.

Also - how about having sponsored PAs? "This go around has been made possible by the good folks at Nike," or "this ground delay program has been brought to you by Goodyear."

Also, it's time to start charging the customers for seatbelt use, beverages - everything! How about pay toilets? The key thing there is to make sure there's a time limit - you put the money in and it gets you two minutes. When the two minutes are up, the door flies open. That'll keep 'em moving!

How about pay toilets? The key thing there is to make sure there's a time limit - you put the money in and it gets you two minutes. When the two minutes are up, the door flies open. That'll keep 'em moving!

Orwell... LMAO... thats some pretty good stuff. :)

On a more serious note maybe Dave should take a closer look at the way HP is doing business, more importantly their fare structure.

Their not only making money their doing it against a carrier (WN) thats about to bring U down. Which IMO is no laughing matter at all. :(

Forget ads on the tray tables, go the Ryanair route: Eliminate the tray tables altogether and stick ad placards on the seatbacks where the trays would normally be. Add garish yellow vinyl seat covers for that total bus ambiance... <_<

Sure, all airlines will follow this in some form or another. That's why I recommend the slide show for advertising on a certain channel on IFE a couple weeks ago. You get more advertising $$$ because there is more ads, and it's more professional looking then plastered on the tray table or over head bins.

I had a feeling something like this was going to happen. Airlines are not making the money they used to, and selling space for a captive audience is a natural solution to bring money in quickly.

mga707 said:
Forget ads on the tray tables, go the Ryanair route: Eliminate the tray tables altogether and stick ad placards on the seatbacks where the trays would normally be. Add garish yellow vinyl seat covers for that total bus ambiance... <_<
I know we're joking - or at least half-joking - but you hit on the key word when you said "bus." Do customers who care only about price really merit any level of decor above that of mass transit? The reality is that air travel has become mass transit. They can't whine about having to read ads or not having rack of lamb when all that matters - all that EVER EVER EVER matters to the almighty consumer is price.

orwell said:
I know we're joking - or at least half-joking - but you hit on the key word when you said "bus." Do customers who care only about price really merit any level of decor above that of mass transit? The reality is that air travel has become mass transit. They can't whine about having to read ads or not having rack of lamb when all that matters - all that EVER EVER EVER matters to the almighty consumer is price.
"Customers only care about price" because the leagcy airlines have worked so darned to make that a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Try differentiating yourselves in a positive way for more than 5 minutes. It might just make a difference.

Soooooooo tacky....

mga, youre right about RyanAir, I've flown on them quite a bit. Not only are the safety cards on the back of the tray table, but they have ads on the overhead bins. They charge for sodas and try to hawk you duty free on 20 minute flights.

I was on one flight where we had to be bussed to the terminal, where we arrived in what I could swear was an employee break room, and then up two flights of stairs from the underground shamehole. Anyhow, when we were going to get on the bus I joked to my seatmate that the bus to the terminal cost three Euros, and for a moment he believed me! I paid 22 Euro for this experience (less than $30).

If anyone in CCY is reading dont get any ideas. :ph34r:

Um... why dont we advertise OURSELVES? AA and UA used to have little ads on thier napkins, dont know if they still do it or not. I remenber UA had one listing all of thier ski destinations. People do look at those napkins.

And the old cups had US AIRWAYS on one side and www.usairways.com on the other in huge letters. The current flimsy ones (obviously cheaper) have a miniscule US Airways symbol on the bottom. We could be using this space.

The ads don't look that tacky. Why not.

We can match America West and Southwest fares and it is proven our overall revenue will go down - of course we won't have a choice when LUV comes to town in Philly.

So maybe this can help keep the revenue in the nose up position. :ph34r:

Status
Not open for further replies.