American Airline suspended it's buddy passes to their employes?

Discussion in 'Airline Programs' started by TIG0408, Jun 12, 2019.

1. TIG0408

TIG0408 Newbie

I have heard that American Airline has suspended it's buddy passes to their employees is this true?

2. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

Evidently you were misinformed. I just booked a friend on buddy pass for travel on 04JUL.

3. BETTY M

BETTY M Newbie

They suspended buddy passes for new hires. New hires have to wait for 6months before they can use buddy passes. Just like Zed travel.

4. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

There was no recent "suspension" of buddy passes. I started with American in Sept. 2000. We were not allowed to give out buddy passes (officially a D3 pass) until we completed probation (6 months). So, what's new about this?

American doesn't want anyone using D3 passes if there is no employee to take responsibility for the D3 traveler's behavior. And, during probation (especially with flight attendants) they can fire you on the spot because they don't like the way you part your hair. There is no union protection for probationary employees.

5. BETTY M

BETTY M Newbie

Actually that's not true. I started with AA in 2017... I was able to use my D3, Buddy passes right away. The new policy was just recently implemented. We just hired 6 new people at our station and they JUST made the cut off date.

6. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

That's incredible. While I was working for AA (I retired in 2017), every time you turned around they were reducing the non-rev travel benefits. Last major cut was to start charging extra for First Class for D3 travelers. (Prior to that I always listed my D3 travelers for F/C because the charges were the same whether you got F/C or not.) They seemed to have kept that "benefit." I just listed a friend for a trip over July 4th. F/C cost an additional $28 for DFW-CLT (and additional $28 for CLT-DFW). Of course that assumes that he gets F/C which is always pure luck if you do.

7. eolesen

eolesen Veteran

Yes, Jim, the "wait until after probation" rule was eliminated. I forget when that happened because it didn't affect me, but I thought it was was a dumb move.

Not only did we have to wait six months for D3's, but when I was hired, we had to wait six months for our D2 flight privileges....

8. Stevewrites

Stevewrites Newbie

Wow surprised to hear this. I am totally unaware of this.